• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The First Domino Has Fallen

Its still a long while and they can even pospone it for another few months, like over December. Creative decisions will need to be made and most athletes would not mind, they have been training their whole lives for this, a mere posponement if the virus has died down by then will be the most sensible, otherwise Japan might suffer a finacial meltdown.

Its still a long while and they can even pospone it for another few months, like over December.

The article specifically says that the withdrawal is if it goes ahead as planned.

Creative decisions will need to be made and most athletes would not mind, they have been training their whole lives for this, a mere posponement if the virus has died down by then will be the most sensible, otherwise Japan might suffer a finacial meltdown.

I guess everyone is in the same boat, but I would have thought that the athletes would prefer to give a good account of themselves, rather than turning up ill prepared to make some money for someone else.

Whenever the next Olympiad takes place, I'm sure that it will be in Tokyo. While it's far from ideal for the Japanese to wait for their investment to be repaid, I can't see this leading to a "financial meltdown".

Seen suggestions that it could be bumped back two years and winter and summer take place in 2022

I think the idea behind it is that if it's postponed by one year it messes with the qualification

Seen suggestions that it could be bumped back two years and winter and summer take place in 2022

I think the idea behind it is that if it's postponed by one year it messes with the qualification

Birmingham 2022 will be pleased! I follow the logic though, it's a massive logistical headache, hopefully whatever happens will be the best solution for the greatest number of people. Some will suffer, but you're never going to come up with a solution that is perfect for everybody.

The second domino has fallen - Australia has also pulled out of the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Team GB said it's 'unlikely' they will go if it goes ahead at the scheduled date - official decision to be made in the coming weeks, but it feels like they're easing in the decision.

Sounds like the IOC don't really want this to go ahead but TOCOG are the problem.

Team GB said it's 'unlikely' they will go if it goes ahead at the scheduled date - official decision to be made in the coming weeks, but it feels like they're easing in the decision.

It's a shame because millions of people love the Olympics, including myself. But I definitely understand why countries are pulling out of the games. Better safe than sorry. :eek:

It's a shame because millions of people love the Olympics, including myself. But I definitely understand why countries are pulling out of the games. Better safe than sorry. :eek:
The real issue is athletes being able to train properly.

Sounds like the IOC don't really want this to go ahead but TOCOG are the problem.
I read something the other day that whoever pulls the plug covers the cost so Tokyo and the IOC are playing chicken hoping the other bites the bullet.

Letting it run at this stage is dangerously irresponsible, until it's fully cancelled a lot of atheletes are still going to keep training, letting the decision run for up to four weeks is just poor. Would imagine the Canadian response is a combination of trying to force the IOC/Japan's hand and just protecting their own atheletes by getting rid of the ambiguity

Letting it run at this stage is dangerously irresponsible, until it's fully cancelled a lot of atheletes are still going to keep training, letting the decision run for up to four weeks is just poor. Would imagine the Canadian response is a combination of trying to force the IOC/Japan's hand and just protecting their own atheletes by getting rid of the ambiguity

As of today the Summer Olympics have been postponed for one year.

BitesizedSleepyBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
It was inevitable really.

Wimbledon will be next I am sure to confirm postponement.

Latest posts