• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

Well done Danny Willett! Hopefully the Masters becomes invaded by Europeans again now.

Feel bad for Spieth, he's not a guy who deserves to lose a championship like that!

Great finale but it was hard watching Speith. He does go slow like 5 hours a round is madness.
Willett fair play grabbed his opening and ran with it.

1. Has there ever been 3 hole in 1s on same hole is same round?
2. Ever 1 as good as Louis'?

Brilliant for Danny and so sorry that Westie is again the bridesmaid!

Thought Speith was fantastic in his interviews and was truly honest and a real gent!

Ps Chubby must have made some money (again) with 2.7 million USD going to his two clients in top three!!!

Not bad for sipping champagne all day, while they were slogging their guts out, and, no doubt, private plane home with them!!!!! Wish I was at that party tonight and on the plane......!!

Stayed up for this. What a climax and a fairy tale finish for Willets.

Yep, felt some sympathy for Speith and he handled it all very well. But talk about rubbing salt in the wound having to present Danny with his jacket. One of those moments where I bet he wished the ground would just swallow him up. It will take him a long time to get over losing it, but looking at the 4 days' rounds score cards he only really did amazingly well in the first round (66), whereas his other 3 days were pretty much par, so no question Danny deserved it overall. Can't believe he's only 22, so if this thing doesn't destroy him mentally, it'll only make him stronger.

Last edited:
The savage reported trolling of Speith is incredibly unfair and will only make him stronger!

Many have told me that he should have been a better loser.......

My answer is to ask how would they react when they had thrown away the chance to be part of history through mental error and then be dragged from the 18th to immediately present the jacket, which everyone in the world reckoned would be his 90 minutes previously, to the winner!

Like most champions, I would expect he would agree that losing is for losers and he is not a loser!

A blow up at the Masters did not stop Rory and it will not stop Jordan!!!

It's arguably stopped Rory in the Masters, now his most coveted prize...

But, I agree, Spieth presented the jacket to Danny in Butler's cabin, the 18th green and posed for photographers, he congradulated him on his win also. He was clearly still in shock at what had happened, no one in the world expected it from him least of all himself, the guy is the strongest competitor in golf and despite the fact Oakmont, the course for this year's US Open, doesn't suit his game in the slightest you better believe he's going to be in contention on Sunday afternoon, like he has been in the majors since last years masters. 5 consecutive top 5's in majors is just ridiculous.

The he one thing he's deservedly copped a lot of criticism for though is his pace of play, he must have been on the brink of a penalty stroke on each day, had he not been the defending champ and in contention he very well might have received one.

It's arguably stopped Rory in the Masters, now his most coveted prize...

But, I agree, Spieth presented the jacket to Danny in Butler's cabin, the 18th green and posed for photographers, he congradulated him on his win also. He was clearly still in shock at what had happened, no one in the world expected it from him least of all himself, the guy is the strongest competitor in golf and despite the fact Oakmont, the course for this year's US Open, doesn't suit his game in the slightest you better believe he's going to be in contention on Sunday afternoon, like he has been in the majors since last years masters. 5 consecutive top 5's in majors is just ridiculous.

The he one thing he's deservedly copped a lot of criticism for though is his pace of play, he must have been on the brink of a penalty stroke on each day, had he not been the defending champ and in contention he very well might have received one.

He is incredibly slow but, have to say, sometimes I think Rory is just a bit too quick!!

You hope that Speith doesn't implode and not wain anything again, Arnold Palmer and Norman did this. Both lost big leads at the Masters only to go and never win another major again.

You hope that Speith doesn't implode and not wain anything again, Arnold Palmer and Norman did this. Both lost big leads at the Masters only to go and never win another major again.

Not going to happen to Speith! He has age on his side and more talent than either Norman or Arnie at similar age!!

Reckon he will be No 1 in the world again within weeks!!

Not going to happen to Speith! He has age on his side and more talent than either Norman or Arnie at similar age!!

Reckon he will be No 1 in the world again within weeks!!

Never say never, Speith shares similarities with what happened to Palmer in 1959.

Palmer imploded on 12 in '59, won in '60, doubled 18 to lose by a shot in '61, won in '62 wasn't a feature in the business end of the '63 tournament and won in '64. Spieth would love that sequence I'm sure!

There not really comparible though, the competition is far better these days thanks to Tiger's influence. Spieth could play out of his skin but if Rory, Jason or possibly Bryson DeChambeau if he fulfills the hype play well he might not win. A degree off and he lets Fowler, Thomas, Willett, Kaymer, Rose etc... In. This era is comparible to anything that's gone before and it's making for the best viewing!

I agree on Rory Tony, he needs someone to slow him down a touch at times, JP ain't the man! I think that's a reason he struggled on Saturday because he couldn't play at his pace, he was better with Berger despite striking the ball just as badly because Berher is a very quick player too.

Wells Fargo at Quail Hollow this week, along with the Bridgestone at Firestone, The BMW PGA and the Irish Open it is one of my favourite events outside the majors.

Gping for Mcilroy (shock horror), next best ranked player in the field is Scott and Rory has two wins a t2 and a t4 around this place so it's less outrageous and bias than usual!! :p

Disappointed that Rory is not playing in European tour top event at Wentworth!

Disappointed that Rory is not playing in European tour top event at Wentworth!
I didn't know that and thought he'd have respected it more considering his win there resulted in his most dominant period in the sport proceeding to win two majors and a WGC event within the next two months!

Playing minimal European events just to qualify for the middle eastern leg appears to be I vogue these days if you're good enough whereas guys like Westwood, Donald and Harrington have all but given up on the tour despite a noticeable drop in their playing standards after leaving it!

RIP Christy O'Connor Senior who died today aged 91.

Two fabulous fairway shots at 16 &18 see Rory to his first professional victory on Irish soil......the last was 252 yards to about five feet to kill of the challenge from Russell Knox who led going into the 16th!!

Two fabulous fairway shots at 16 &18 see Rory to his first professional victory on Irish soil......the last was 252 yards to about five feet to kill of the challenge from Russell Knox who led going into the 16th!!

16th was the key part. Rory mentally made Knox tap out there as was shown with the putts. 18th was just a show of world class golfing.

What a poor specimen is Willetts! I wondered last week when he failed to acknowledge a knowledgeable Irish golfing crowd who wanted to congratulate him as Masters champion.

Today he walked up to the 18th green at Wentworth with what started as loud applause but which quickly died as he failed again to look at them never mind touch or raise his cap! This was his go to position most of the day.....

All he did on his walk to the 18th, where there were many thousands to greet him as Masters champ (and not for his round) was chew on his fingernails.....someone needs to tell him that there is more to golf than hitting a ball........

Miserable git.......

Latest posts