• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The great big "Getting fit for Rugby" thread!

I found this from the Ospreys, who use it as a test for players and it is a strong indicator for athletic sucess. The so called Quadrathalon It is based on speed and power.

1) THE BROAD JUMP, The player stands behind a line and jumps as far forward as he can. The jump is measured in metres and take from the line to the closest landing heel.
2) THE TRIPLE JUMP, The start is the same as the Broad Jump but the player performs three continious jumps (bunny hops).
3) 30M SPRINT, taken from a standing start and timed.
4) MEDICINE BALL THROW, The player stands holding a 10kg ball to his chest, bending his legs the ball is launched forward. Distance taken from the start to the centre of where the ball lands.

Some results to compare from Ospreys.

R.Bayliss throw-8.64m, 1 jump-3.1m, 3 jump-9.3m, 30m sprint- 3.83seconds.
A.Waithe throw-9.11m, 1 jump-2.83m, 3 jump-9.5m, 30m sprint-4.03seconds.

A good site that has this test and loads of other sporting fitness info is www.brainmac.co.uk.
The test can be found at www.brainmac.co.uk/quad.htm

They have rugby specific info, studies of player work rates etc.

Ooops messed up my links it should be www.brianmac.co.uk :angry:

I know that this thread is fairly old now, but I would like to tell you about my experiences of StrongLifts. About 4-5 months ago I stumbled upon the StrongLifts website,I thought I might as well give it ago. At the start I weighed about 200lbs and couldn't squat a thing. Today, I weigh 220lbs I can Squat 335lbs, Bench Press 220lbs and Dead Lift 350lbs, I am fitter, a hell of a lot stronger and a lot quicker than I was when I started, that's with putting on 20lbs of muscle and losing a lot of fat. I would recommend that anyone who wants to preform better at rugby give it a try, I've only just started and In my first match I was playing against people in the year above me (I'm 15 and in year 10) even though I had never played a match in my life, I scored 2 tries and help set up another, I simply ran through most tackles because of the strength of my legs and the speed I was going. My team mates said I was an asset at the breakdowns and in the scrum and though I played great for my first game. That's about it :D

Hi, i have a question: it is possible to train light athletic-method(strenght) without losing speed and agility? Maybe stretching, or something?

I heard about training like that:
1 month light athletic method,
and 1 month speed-stamina. I dont know if it working, so i want to ask. :)

Latest posts