• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The most in demand position

Deadmonton

Academy Player
Based on what you've experienced, especially at the high school/amateur level in countries that aren't particularly strong in rugby (Canada, US, etc.), what would you say the most in demand (i.e. least amount of players able and/or willing to play at) position(s) are?

Most likely good locks as most are just slightly taller than the rest but you really need someone who is 6'6 or more. Followed by flyhalf I think, that is always France's problem, never a good flyhalf.

Most likely good locks as most are just slightly taller than the rest but you really need someone who is 6'6 or more. Followed by flyhalf I think, that is always France's problem, never a good flyhalf.

It's not the case anymore.

Having played (and still playing actually) in both France and England, I'd say second row/number 8 in France, and fly-half/number 8 in England.

In Finland it's easily all the backs. Kicking, ball handling and tactical elements are all worse than embarrassing.

Probably second row over here - most clubs have a ton of guys wanting to play in the back row and a couple of unlucky ones who get lumped in the 4 or 5 jersey :p

You're not made a prop, you're born one. Hence why they'd be the most in-demand position. Besides that, specalist positons such as the halfbacks would be relatively in-demand.

I don't think there is really a "most in demand position." If you have one weak link it'll cost your team. However, having a good halfback combo is crucial to any success, especially for the tier two nations you are alluding to. Chances are you're not going to be scoring boatloads of tries, so you better be able to kick points and effectively manage your team in defence and attack. A good flyhalf is crucial to all of that.

That said, Canada needs an inside centre more than anything at the moment.

Latest posts