• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Personally I would be annoyed if the emperor is alive.

Hopefully it's just a ghost.

Well if they took inspiration from the brilliant dark empire graphic novels, he could be a clone (younger and in his prime... but more insane as clones always end up).

Either way though... and very depressingly... in terms of this trilogy it's probably gonna result in nothing more than poorly conceived fan-fic.

Last edited:
I liked the trailer
There's definitely a running theme of spaceships being flown a few feet off the floor and showing massive crashed ships as well in this new trilogy

So still sour on this since the last Jedi (that affected me like flashbacks of a staunch catholic upbringing)... but this did kindle some embers of hope I guess. What in particular about the last 5 seconds blew you guys away though... the montage, the remnants of what looked like a Death Star or what sounded like the Emperors laugh?

The thought the emperor (be it clone or force ghost) is thill around, maybe manipulating everything through the dark side, could be the thread thaTs been missing

The thought the emperor (be it clone or force ghost) is thill around, maybe manipulating everything through the dark side, could be the thread thaTs been missing

Ironic that the new hope (as far as satisfying the fans at least) is the emperor don't you think?

I'm just hoping that this film can re-establish the brand somewhat after The Last Jedi... beast nipple-dribble Luke, hobo-Yoda ghost (regardless of the fact that hobo-Yoda from Empire was merely a ruse and therefore no logic for him to be re-employing the characteristics when dealing with Luke many years later)... and then throwing away Snoke and Rey's heritage... not too mention wasting Leia with a space walk when they could've used her to make the ultimate sacrifice that was left to frikkin... Laura frikkin Dern!

As you can tell, the film triggers me like an undeserved Welsh wooden spoon!

Honestly I liked TLJ.

Personally it pushed the boat out, maybe a little bit too much, but I preferred it to the Force Awakens in the long run, which played it way too safe.

But I guess fans would rather it was more conventional for the Sky Walker arc.

I'm interested to see what Johnson will do for a stand-alone trilogy.

By then again I enjoyed the world building in the prequels.

Yeah Bushytop, I'm just going to I vehemently disagree with everything you said.

I'm with Tigs Force Awakens always felt too safe, TLJ was the first Star Wars film Ive seen where I felt surprised by it (bearing in mind the original trilogy was before I was born....by 1 year) so don't remember the first time I saw them.

By big fear with ROS is it will be too safe against because Abrams doesn't have an original thought in his body. It will be fine though.

This made me laugh though..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1555152361767.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555152361767.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 9
100% JJ and Disney will fan service the hell out of this Star Wars.

Especially after the Solo film perfomance.

Love Star Wars but a large chunk of its fans are very very very gatekeeperish.

Honestly I liked TLJ.

Personally it pushed the boat out, maybe a little bit too much, but I preferred it to the Force Awakens in the long run, which played it way too safe.

Yeah Bushytop, I'm just going to I vehemently disagree with everything you said.

I'm with Tigs Force Awakens always felt too safe, TLJ was the first Star Wars film Ive seen where I felt surprised by it (bearing in mind the original trilogy was before I was born....by 1 year) so don't remember the first time I saw them.

By big fear with ROS is it will be too safe against because Abrams doesn't have an original thought in his body. It will be fine though.

Never said I liked the Force Awakens much either tbh... it just didn't offend my Star Wars geek heritage nor logic of narrative structuring that TLJ did (imho). Each to their own though... and I'm glad 'someone' enjoyed it... even though I still need to rock in a cold shower each time I think about it.

I've heard rumours that the original Johnson trilogy is already dead.

Those rumours have been squashed already.

WTF does Star Wars geek heritage mean BTW?

I consider myself a massive sci-fi (syfy for the new gen) geek... the predominant reason for which was my grandfather (who was uncharacteristically super excited and giddy) sitting me down to watch Star Wars and Empire before taking me along to the cinema to watch Jedi. It was a weekend that still lives vibrantly in my memory... and spawned countless reviewings of the OG trilogy as well as countless re-enactments with Star Wars toys and Star Wars role-play (careful... it was very innocent... though a three year old me was always Luke and my three year old missus was Leia... even though they were siblings... I really should've just played Han but I digress).

So basically, my grandfather... who I always looked up to incredibly as a successful man and just great all around guy, showed me a completely different (twinkle in his eye kinda different) side of himself to me because of this franchise... something that I have instilled into my character when discussing all things geekery. Therefore my Star Wars geek heritage... I'm here all week!

Pretty similar to my background then although with my Mum and Dad (and suspect a few more posters on here are in a similar position). Granted I watched the 1997 version due to my age.

But aren't you at all concerned that potentially relying too much on nostalgia prevents something from truely growing further?

Just feel that Sci Fi in its current level is way too nostalgia driven and part of the reasons is becuase some fans (and not just Star Wars fans either) just can not let go of that feeling and we then start to get into the childhood is ruined POV.

Don't get me wrong I love sci-Fi from the 90's and 00's (which is what I grew up on).

I understand the problems people have With TLJ like the Finn arc in it was a bit pointless though.

Honestly I liked TLJ.

The thing that irks me most about this sequel trilogy (& why it offends me more than the prequel trilogy which obviously isn't without it's serious issues) is that there was already material out there that could/should have been used. If you have never read the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn (Heir to the Empie, Dark Force Rising & The Last Command)... and are fans of Star Wars (which I assume you are otherwise why would you be discussing) I would sincerely recommend that you do.

I read it about twenty years ago and am meaning to go back and read it again when I get the time. From memory it is a great sequel trilogy that follows Luke, Leia and Han as they struggle to establish the new republic. It introduces three characters that are as good as any of the OG characters in Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade and Jorus C'baoth.

It is only my opinion but i think would have been a much better series of movies than what we have been served up.

Last edited:
Pretty similar to my background then although with my Mum and Dad (and suspect a few more posters on here are in a similar position). Granted I watched the 1997 version due to my age.

But aren't you at all concerned that potentially relying too much on nostalgia prevents something from truely growing further?

Just feel that Sci Fi in its current level is way too nostalgia driven and part of the reasons is becuase some fans (and not just Star Wars fans either) just can not let go of that feeling and we then start to get into the childhood is ruined POV.

Don't get me wrong I love sci-Fi from the 90's and 00's (which is what I grew up on).

I understand the problems people have With TLJ like the Finn arc in it was a bit pointless though.

My problems (I mention the specifics of which in an earlier post) was not necessarily nostalgia driven but more with character choices that are totally out of (established) character and without any logical reasoning; as well as narrative structure. You don't throw away narrative threads that have been intentionally teased without a pay off... its script writing 101 (I majored in feature length script writing with a 1st in Film production... that I have totally wasted in all honesty).

As I've said... I'm glad you (& others) enjoyed it... I personally did not and am simply stating that fact. Not gatekeeping... the more people who enjoy the genre's and sub genre's that I enjoy is only a good thing (as more products that fit my tastes will be made) just simply voicing opinions as if in a forum for opinion.

Last edited:
For me Disney's main intention with the sequels is to sell Star Wars to a new generation (people who grew up who now have kids, can be nostalgic and live it all over again with their children) with up to date graphics, and retelling the same story of the episode 4,5 and 6, but make it more PC; it's disney's business model with their animated films now being turned into the live action. More games, more rides in their Disney world theme parks, sell more. They never had any intention to tell a new story. That is why I have been a bit meh about these sequels, as I was with the prequels.

For me Disney's main intention with the sequels is to sell Star Wars to a new generation (people who grew up who now have kids, can be nostalgic and live it all over again with their children) with up to date graphics, and retelling the same story of the episode 4,5 and 6, but make it more PC; it's disney's business model with their animated films now being turned into the live action. More games, more rides in their Disney world theme parks, sell more. They never had any intention to tell a new story. That is why I have been a bit meh about these sequels, as I was with the prequels.

Don't get me started on the games! :mad:

Latest posts