• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Am away on holiday at the moment and watched:

Dallas Buyers Club - excellent
Cap America 2 - popcorntastic
X-men days of future past - not bad, but not as good as the two above.

I Frankenstein - possibly the worst film ever.

I seem to spend a sizeable amount of my time on TRF reading this thread and wanting to argue with every single post.

That said, ignore any differing tastes and everybody go and see Boyhood. Boyhood is incredible. Watch Boyhood.

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (3D). Its alright. Storyline continues from the first movie, all about Caesar as a leader of Apes whom are still grasping intelligence. What say too much else.

Just watched 'Dog Soldiers' again.
"I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow"

Brilliant movie.

I seem to spend a sizeable amount of my time on TRF reading this thread and wanting to argue with every single post.

That said, ignore any differing tastes and everybody go and see Boyhood. Boyhood is incredible. Watch Boyhood.
I saw Boyhood last week. Amongst my favourite films. Film of the Year? Potentially. Would like to think that this has a shot at the Best Picture, but it may have been released a few months too early.

Last edited:
Guardians of the Galaxy, quality stuff. Very funny, good action and a passable/good plot, similar to the Avengers so if you enjoyed that this is right up your street.

Watched "How I Live Now" last night, was utter sh*te, do not recommend

You're wrong. How I Live Now is the best young adult adaptation this side of the Hunger Games, possibly even above that. It's got a soul and an intensity rarely matched and a brilliant lead performance from Saoirse Ronan (George MacKay is also excellent in it, too). It easily slid into my top 20 of last year.

You're wrong. How I Live Now is the best young adult adaptation this side of the Hunger Games, possibly even above that. It's got a soul and an intensity rarely matched and a brilliant lead performance from Saoirse Ronan (George MacKay is also excellent in it, too). It easily slid into my top 20 of last year.

Oh aye, I thought she was a good actor and all, I just struggled to have any sympathy for her character whatsoever. Not Saorise's fault, more just the whole plot.

I guess it didn't help that it came across as really awkward for me to have a plot set during WW3, and then to be left in dark for the entire film as to what the hell is going on with that. I literally spent most of the film wanting to know who the hell nuked London and then decided to invade the rural Midlands / Yorkshire?! (at least I'm assuming the main characters lived anyway)

People just saying "the terrorists" just seemed a bit daft to me.

I guess I was just looking for the the wrong thing from the film, but even without all that, I seriously just couldn't sympathise with her or the majority of her decisions.

That's kinda the point, though- Saoirse Ronan's character doesn't know what's started the war, thanks to the TV, radio, etc blackouts, so we, the audience, don't know either. The film is partly about the tension and confusion and lack of understanding of the world around us. Though, in fairness, I did identify and sympathise with the lead characters, which to some degree may have taken my mind away from the background plot; seeing as this wasn't the case for you, the film clearly hasn't worked universally on a fairly fundamental level.

We're the Millers.

So so so much better than I was expecting.

Jennifer Aniston would sooooooooooooo get it.

That's kinda the point, though- Saoirse Ronan's character doesn't know what's started the war, thanks to the TV, radio, etc blackouts, so we, the audience, don't know either. The film is partly about the tension and confusion and lack of understanding of the world around us. Though, in fairness, I did identify and sympathise with the lead characters, which to some degree may have taken my mind away from the background plot; seeing as this wasn't the case for you, the film clearly hasn't worked universally on a fairly fundamental level.

Read a few reviews earlier, seems like the vast majority have the same views as you, with the rest fairly in line with what I think.

Guess I change my "do not recommend" to "give it a shot, you might like it, you might not"

It doesn't help that I'm a sucker for all the background stuff with things like this, so I guess I'm not the ideal demographic for the film :p

Sorry, don't know where to post this. How do I change my signature pleae?

Ignore me, found it. I suck.

Last edited:
The Wolf of Wall Street. if you like your ***s, drugs and money, then watch this. A bit overlong, but that's Scorsese films for you.

Saving Mr Banks. If you like your ***s, drugs and money, then don't watch this film:). Pretty dull.

Watched Wolf of Wall Street yesterday - top film!
Had heard it was decent, but dragged on, but I didn't find it overly long at all.

*in super uptight voice* ermmmm...has anyone not seen the film 'Prometheus', and if not, why did you not like it ?...proceed to explaining in brief yet compelling discourse your reasons.

Watched Wolf of Wall Street yesterday - top film!
Had heard it was decent, but dragged on, but I didn't find it overly long at all.

it's good.

The book is even more insane, and a remarkably easy read.

*in super uptight voice* ermmmm...has anyone not seen the film 'Prometheus', and if not, why did you not like it ?...proceed to explaining in brief yet compelling discourse your reasons.

I didn't mind Prometheus, it looked amazing but just had too many flaws and was quite disjointed...

It also annoyed me with the whole Biological weapon angle, why couldn't it just be an alien. For me it somewhat undermined the first and second Alien films.

Last edited:
Ino expendables 3 is due out sometime this month should be good.

Latest posts