• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

I didn't mind Prometheus, it looked amazing but just had too many flaws and was quite disjointed...

It also annoyed me with the whole Biological weapon angle, why couldn't it just be an alien. For me it somewhat undermined the first and second Alien films.

*in David Attenborough tone*
Well I say. I thought it was a splendid adventuhhh, with a profound concept, interesting fine little details throughout, aesthetically achieved and in line with the rest of the Giger-ian art, was a large blockbuster production while keeping a bit of a dark atmosphere, and a taste for philosophical notions but very diluted into the action-packed relentless pace of the piece, mmmmyezzzz......
If you don't mind (just a turn of phrase, answer even if you DO mind...) could I inquire from you your reasons for calling this film "flawed" and "disjointed" ? As for the "biological weapon angle", what do you mean ?

Watched Wolf of Wall Street yesterday - top film!
Had heard it was decent, but dragged on, but I didn't find it overly long at all.

I thought Scorsese could have shaved a good 20 minutes off the film and not have lost anything. But still I enjoyed it.

*in David Attenborough tone*
Well I say. I thought it was a splendid adventuhhh, with a profound concept, interesting fine little details throughout, aesthetically achieved and in line with the rest of the Giger-ian art, was a large blockbuster production while keeping a bit of a dark atmosphere, and a taste for philosophical notions but very diluted into the action-packed relentless pace of the piece, mmmmyezzzz......
If you don't mind (just a turn of phrase, answer even if you DO mind...) could I inquire from you your reasons for calling this film "flawed" and "disjointed" ? As for the "biological weapon angle", what do you mean ?

It's strongly hinted that "aliens" are biological weapons designed by the engineers with the intention of destroying humanity.

I found the flow fo the narrative not very good - i really need to go back and watch it as it's a couple fo years, so i'll do that tonight and then give you a proepr breakdown tomorrow.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Disappointing at best.

It's strongly hinted that "aliens" are biological weapons designed by the engineers with the intention of destroying humanity.

I found the flow fo the narrative not very good - i really need to go back and watch it as it's a couple fo years, so i'll do that tonight and then give you a proepr breakdown tomorrow.

oh right, yes that's true. Don't go out of your way to do this, watch it again if you want if you have time, but I'm a big big fan of philosophy-laden sci-fi/horror, I think horror and sci-fi only gain meaning if they're backed by a philosophical premise or landscape in their veins. I like that Damon Lindelof (Lost was a masterpiece) and writers along with Scott directing made it so the philosophical aspects, whichever one, were all diluted as I said into the flow of the film. It wasn't like 'Inception' where the movie would stop and explain to you "okay, so blah blah blah, and then blah blah..." which was an incredibly clumsy movie and I'll stop there for Inception; Prometheus is clearly a big as$ blockbuster, it's Hollywood, it's huge, but they used that polished quality to engineer a clever, unpretentious film with great attention to detail with a philosophical trait as a backbone in separate scenes but the whole of it also.

Examples:
Fassbender the robot wears an oxygen helmet before leaving the ship. That Tom Hardy look-alike tells him "you don't need a helmet, you're a robot. you don't breathe oxygen". To which 'David' replies "I only wear it to fit in with you. Humans don't like to see things that aren't like them and it makes them more comfortable". Very, very clever little scene, full of meaning, an interrogation in itself.
Or the idea David is more than a mere robot, with somewhat of a conscience or a conscience about a conscience, and though this is an utterly classic theme in sci-fi, was cleverly inserted into the movie. When old Guy Pierce's hologram appears early in the film to explain the goal of the expedition, he says something like "David is the closest thing I've had to a son. And yet, he'll lack the one thing that makes us all human. A soul." after which David's smile withers away as he wears a more somber expression.
To add to this, David is also very curious, and the movie hints, more than his computer chips alone make him. Like there's something more to him than what he was programmed to be. Like a sentient will of its own to become human, and that's the whole 'Robot wants to be man', Pinocchio theme, so nothing new but well done.

David has a taste for softness, love and aesthetics. When the engineer caresses his head (that doesn't end well...) he smiles as if *feeling* the grace of his creator, or when he's in the engineers' operation room and he fondly discovers their technology, the blue holographic virtual modules...

Anyways, this is TRF not IMDb, I'm just extending to you some of the very well incorporated ideas into the volume of the film. And of course, Prometheus, the story in Greek mythology, and the first scene of this film...interesting.

oh right, yes that's true. Don't go out of your way to do this, watch it again if you want if you have time, but I'm a big big fan of philosophy-laden sci-fi/horror, I think horror and sci-fi only gain meaning if they're backed by a philosophical premise or landscape in their veins. I like that Damon Lindelof (Lost was a masterpiece) and writers along with Scott directing made it so the philosophical aspects, whichever one, were all diluted as I said into the flow of the film. It wasn't like 'Inception' where the movie would stop and explain to you "okay, so blah blah blah, and then blah blah..." which was an incredibly clumsy movie and I'll stop there for Inception; Prometheus is clearly a big as$ blockbuster, it's Hollywood, it's huge, but they used that polished quality to engineer a clever, unpretentious film with great attention to detail with a philosophical trait as a backbone in separate scenes but the whole of it also.

Examples:
Fassbender the robot wears an oxygen helmet before leaving the ship. That Tom Hardy look-alike tells him "you don't need a helmet, you're a robot. you don't breathe oxygen". To which 'David' replies "I only wear it to fit in with you. Humans don't like to see things that aren't like them and it makes them more comfortable". Very, very clever little scene, full of meaning, an interrogation in itself.
Or the idea David is more than a mere robot, with somewhat of a conscience or a conscience about a conscience, and though this is an utterly classic theme in sci-fi, was cleverly inserted into the movie. When old Guy Pierce's hologram appears early in the film to explain the goal of the expedition, he says something like "David is the closest thing I've had to a son. And yet, he'll lack the one thing that makes us all human. A soul." after which David's smile withers away as he wears a more somber expression.
To add to this, David is also very curious, and the movie hints, more than his computer chips alone make him. Like there's something more to him than what he was programmed to be. Like a sentient will of its own to become human, and that's the whole 'Robot wants to be man', Pinocchio theme, so nothing new but well done.

David has a taste for softness, love and aesthetics. When the engineer caresses his head (that doesn't end well...) he smiles as if *feeling* the grace of his creator, or when he's in the engineers' operation room and he fondly discovers their technology, the blue holographic virtual modules...

Anyways, this is TRF not IMDb, I'm just extending to you some of the very well incorporated ideas into the volume of the film. And of course, Prometheus, the story in Greek mythology, and the first scene of this film...interesting.

yeah, i get the theological strands of the film, and i love the Greek Mythology angle - Prometheus being one of the ***ans, and the angle of the Humans possibly meeting their creators, it's hinted we were also engineered, which is why the Engineer and David scene is so good.

I like that David has a sexuality about him that is never confirmed but quite obviously not hetro, he's developing an seintience about himself.

It's more there is some really clumsy stuff n there - like the guy who goes ape on the docking bay - he just appears from no-where, there is no build up it just launches into it. The two scientists in the ship who go off script - it feels like it's meant to be funny but it's annoying in a funny, not FUNNY! way. Noomi Rapace also annoys me immensely and the ending is just annoying...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, i rememebr enjoying it at the time despite these things... so i probably will go back and watch it.

Watched 'The amazing spiderman II' and 'Captain America Winter Warrior' earlier.
Enjoyed them both immensely, but cannot say too much as I don't want to put out 'spoilers'.

Guardians of the Galaxy - possibly the most fun I've had at the movies since I was a kid and didn't have any notion of poor writing and narrative inconsistencies.

I love those nights that you just happen to turn the channel over just in time for a great movie to start. Usually accompanied with the phrase, "...haven't seen this in ages, love this film..."

Well I had not just one, but two nights in a row!

Night one was the WRWC games followed by Taken.

Night two was the Great British Bake Off followed by The Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Love those nights. Most memorable one was when awhile back when I caught "The Last Dragon" YEAH!

I had "The Kick" recorded on TV and watched it today - a little cheesy, but I enjoyed it. My brother and I had endless fun trying to guess which player each actor was supposed to be.

I had "The Kick" recorded on TV and watched it today - a little cheesy, but I enjoyed it. My brother and I had endless fun trying to guess which player each actor was supposed to be.

I watched it online yesterday. It's terrible, but there's fun to be had. The moment where Dan Carter gets injured is the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time.

Just acquired a copy of 'Grosse Pointe Blank' to watch tomorrow.
If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. Absolutely brilliant black comedy, with Cusack and Akyroyd at their best.

If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. Absolutely brilliant black comedy, with Cusack and Akyroyd at their best.

One of my favourite films ever.....great soundtrack as well.

We just watched "how to train your dragon"... My boy loved it (and so did I).

"workers of the world...unite !"
yeah it was alright that film, but I'm a fan of not being a fan of Cusack. I do like Akroyd, although what he had to say about aliens on live TV was highly disappointing...the guy looks like a fkn nut. That kind of destroyed a small part of my childhood, watchin that on YouTube...

One of my favourite films ever.....great soundtrack as well.

We just watched "how to train your dragon"... My boy loved it (and so did I).

Loved that as well, one of the best animation's since Toy Story.

As for Ewis and "yeah it was alright that film, but I'm a fan of not being a fan of Cusack.".......he's one of my favourite actors. Don't think he's ever been in a bad movie :p

As for Ewis and "yeah it was alright that film, but I'm a fan of not being a fan of Cusack.".......he's one of my favourite actors. Don't think he's ever been in a bad movie :p

oh he most certainly has, but that's neither here nor there. Some excellent actors end up in shiitty movies, and vice versa. While of course I know you know this anyways...
So I dislike Cusack the actor, not so much what he's associated with. It's in his expressions, mannerisms, way he talks......High Fidelity had some okay moments too, like, if we're heading to someone's place and they're going to play that, I'm going. It's alright.
What's that you ask me now ? Oh, the bad movie John Queue-sac's been in ? Ever heard of 1408 ? Yyyyyeahhh...was psyched, I'm a big horror buff, loved the plot, the trailer was pretty good, the actors seemed intriguing in light of the style of film this was going to be...great what, first 20, 30 minutes. And then all Hell breaks loose. Nothin makes sense anymore, it in such an incredibly narrow moment turns into the most typical blockbuster, meaningless by the numbers piece of shiit, which isn't scary or interesting in any possible measure.

oh he most certainly has, but that's neither here nor there. Some excellent actors end up in shiitty movies, and vice versa. While of course I know you know this anyways...
So I dislike Cusack the actor, not so much what he's associated with. It's in his expressions, mannerisms, way he talks......High Fidelity had some okay moments too, like, if we're heading to someone's place and they're going to play that, I'm going. It's alright.
What's that you ask me now ? Oh, the bad movie John Queue-sac's been in ? Ever heard of 1408 ? Yyyyyeahhh...was psyched, I'm a big horror buff, loved the plot, the trailer was pretty good, the actors seemed intriguing in light of the style of film this was going to be...great what, first 20, 30 minutes. And then all Hell breaks loose. Nothin makes sense anymore, it in such an incredibly narrow moment turns into the most typical blockbuster, meaningless by the numbers piece of shiit, which isn't scary or interesting in any possible measure.

Quite enjoyed that one, although it was fairly predictable. I've never seen him do a 'filler' movie. (Filler = no work at the time, so allow your name to be used to promote a really poor movie (a la Tommy Lee Jones 'In the Electric Mist'))

Latest posts