• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The new generation

How is Dane Haylett-Petty going this year? Still at BO?

How is Dane Haylett-Petty going this year? Still at BO?

I can't really put a review out on DHP just yet as Biarritz are struggling and haven't played at full strength. He's scored one try this early on and has been earning some good time on the field with so many players out. Honestly, he's been one of their top two backs so far (tops being Julien Peyrelongue). With the Basque derby coming up this weekend, it is likely that both clubs will have everyone available. This means we'll see the likes of Yachvili, Harinordoquy, Rokocoko and Heymans out there at some point at least.

If everyone is available for selection, this is how I'd like to see in BO's team this weekend. Rest Peyrelongue and let Barraque start with the stars. Lauret should come off the bench early to get confidence up. I'd also like to see Marie replace Lund or Carizza early in the second half if they have the lead.

15 Dane Haylett-Petty
14 Takudzwa Ngwenya
13 Benoît Baby
12 Damien Traille
11 Dan Caprice
10 Jean-Pascal Barraque
9 Dimitri Yachvili
8 Rafaël Lakafia
7 Imanol Harinordoquy
6 Talalelei Grey
5 Erik Lund
4 Manuel Carizza
3 Fabien Barcella
2 Benoît August
1 Yvan Watremez

16 Arnaud Héguy
17 Sylvain Marconnet
18 Matthias Marie
19 Wenceslas Lauret
20 Julien Peyrelongue
21 Marcelo Bosch
22 Iain Balshaw

That is a pretty awesome backline. Can't see them losing for much longer with their world cup stars back.

I'll try to watch this weekend, haven't seen Biarritz this season.

Agreed looks very good.

Still would have Clermont as the best back line. Though I don't rate skrela their centers are impresive.

That is a pretty awesome backline. Can't see them losing for much longer with their world cup stars back.

I'll try to watch this weekend, haven't seen Biarritz this season.

Definitely.

I wouldn't miss the Basque derby.

Agreed looks very good.

Still would have Clermont as the best back line. Though I don't rate skrela their centers are impresive.

I'm not a fan of Skrela either, never have been to be honest, but he'll always be in their team selection as long as he's healthy. Looking at Clermont's possible team selection this weekend and the fact that Julien Malzieu and Sitiveni Sivivatu are not listed due to injuries, there's no wonder why more people are looking at this club to win the Heineken Cup this season. I do wonder how that second line is going to work in the long run though as no one will want to play second fiddle.

15 Jean-Marcellin Buttin
14 Wesley Fofana
13 Aurélien Rougerie
12 Regan King
11 Noa Seru Nakaitaci
10 Brock James
9 Morgan Parra
8 Elvis Vermeulen
7 Julien Bonnaire
6 Alexandre Lapandry
5 Jamie Cudmore
4 Julien Pierre
3 Daniel Kotze
2 Benjamin Kayser
1 Lionel Faure

16 Benoît Cabello
17 Thomas Domingo
18 Loïc Jacquet
19 Gerhard Vosloo
20 Kevin Senio
21 David Skrela
22 Anthony Floch

I wouldn't miss the Basque derby.

the Basque derby has been a let down the past couple of seasons, don't understand why Lyon players being ill means the 1000e Basque derby has to be cancelled

I'm not a fan of Skrela either, never have been to be honest, but he'll always be in their team selection as long as he's healthy. Looking at Clermont's possible team selection this weekend and the fact that Julien Malzieu and Sitiveni Sivivatu are not listed due to injuries, there's no wonder why more people are looking at this club to win the Heineken Cup this season. I do wonder how that second line is going to work in the long run though as no one will want to play second fiddle.

15 Jean-Marcellin Buttin
14 Wesley Fofana
13 Aurélien Rougerie
12 Regan King
11 Noa Seru Nakaitaci
10 Brock James
9 Morgan Parra
8 Elvis Vermeulen
7 Julien Bonnaire
6 Alexandre Lapandry
5 Jamie Cudmore
4 Julien Pierre
3 Daniel Kotze
2 Benjamin Kayser,
1 Lionel Faure

16 Benoît Cabello
17 Thomas Domingo
18 Loïc Jacquet
19 Gerhard Vosloo
20 Kevin Senio
21 David Skrela
22 Anthony Floch

I always thought Skrela was pants until Toulouse's run to the Heineken Cup in 2010, for whatever reason he was great in that period. But he should never be considered for France again he is far too inconsistent.

Regarding your team, I like Fofana but I don't want to see him play as wing, he's quite good as a winger but is so much better at centre and it would be a shame not to play him there, with Murimurivalu at wing

on the rugbyrama.fr forums they are suggesting that Clermont might put Rougerie back on the wing with Fofana and King centre, I'm not sure about that either because Rougerie has done well at centre

Thomas Domingo is out for the season unfortunately:(, it's a shame as he was shaping up to be possibly the best loosehead in the world at one point

I would have Paulo in the 22, and I think Floch is injured as well

You're right that the Basque derby hasn't been great the past couple of seasons, but as I mentioned, consider that both teams will be coming in looking to make an impact at full strength. I wasn't aware that Domingo's injury was that bad, that's unfortunate to know. In any case, Clermont are still packed with talent at the position. Fofana has been playing on the right wing a lot this season and I'm not sure if they plan to change him back even with Rougerie returning. I haven't been impressed with Murimurivalu early on, I would rather have Nakaitaci out there at the moment. Also, Floch should be back in time for this week's match.

16 Arnaud Héguy
17 Sylvain Marconnet
18 Matthias Marie
19 Wenceslas Lauret
20 Julien Peyrelongue
21 Marcelo Bosch
22 Iain Balshaw
I'd say that's a sexy-looking bench.

And re:Clermont, I think this season the have a roster that competes with Toulouse's. I'd say these ae the only sides in Europe that can play equally competitive sides both locally and internationally.

I saw Biarritz last weekend for the first time this season and that was just sad. Yachvili and Harinordoquy should make a difference, but they're only two players, they shouldn't rely on them as much.

I saw Biarritz last weekend for the first time this season and that was just sad. Yachvili and Harinordoquy should make a difference, but they're only two players, they shouldn't rely on them as much.

Don't forget the additions of Traille, Barcella and Lakafia among others.

And re:Clermont, I think this season the have a roster that competes with Toulouse's. I'd say these ae the only sides in Europe that can play equally competitive sides both locally and internationally.

I was really disappointed by Clermont last season, to watch they were one of my favourite teams between 2007 and 2010 but last season they hardly looked like competing and were easily beaten by Toulouse in the Top 14 and Leinster in the HCup in Dublin, their standards really dropped and they played boring rugby as well (I wondered whether losing Schmidt as backs coach was something to do with that), although they were still unbeatable at home

but this season they are rejuvenated, they got rid of some players who had really poor seasons, Scelzo and Ledesma looked past it, Joubert looked lethargic, Privat wasn't at his best, even Nalaga had a poor season (although obviously his form could be perhaps linked to some off field troubles)

the youngsters have all fitted in, the new signings have been smart, Vosloo has fitted well to playing at a big club, compared to playing for a weaker side in the past, Kayser despite having a poor time with Castres looks back to form, Hines has always impressed me with his commitment for all his club, they can still field a very good side during internationals

if Clermont get a home draw for the quarter finals of the HCup, I can't see any team stopping them reaching the final

(which is why HCup knockout rounds should be two legs so it's not so obvious that the home team will always go through, but that's another debate)

I was really disappointed by Clermont last season, to watch they were one of my favourite teams between 2007 and 2010 but last season they hardly looked like competing and were easily beaten by Toulouse in the Top 14 and Leinster in the HCup in Dublin, their standards really dropped and they played boring rugby as well (I wondered whether losing Schmidt as backs coach was something to do with that), although they were still unbeatable at home

but this season they are rejuvenated, they got rid of some players who had really poor seasons, Scelzo and Ledesma looked past it, Joubert looked lethargic, Privat wasn't at his best, even Nalaga had a poor season (although obviously his form could be perhaps linked to some off field troubles)

the youngsters have all fitted in, the new signings have been smart, Vosloo has fitted well to playing at a big club, compared to playing for a weaker side in the past, Kayser despite having a poor time with Castres looks back to form, Hines has always impressed me with his commitment for all his club, they can still field a very good side during internationals

if Clermont get a home draw for the quarter finals of the HCup, I can't see any team stopping them reaching the final

(which is why HCup knockout rounds should be two legs so it's not so obvious that the home team will always go through, but that's another debate)

Not really true ...Leinster hockied Toulouse in toulouse a few years ago..

A young French player I'm very impressed with is Jean-Marcelin Buttin, I think Médard will play wing for France in the future with Buttin full back

Jean-Marc Doussain has been mentioned here before and I'm impressed with him, but Parra will be the 9 for the foreseeable future though

At prop Racing-Métro's Eddy Ben Arous looks a good prospect

A player who hasn't been mentioned here is Virimi Vakatawa, who although isn't French could play for France in a similar fashion to Manu Tuilagi playing for England, he's qualified for France through residency and I don't believe he has played for Fiji, Fiji A or Fiji Sevens to disqualify him for France

France could have selection dilemmas at centre in the future with Bastareaud, Mermoz, Fofana, Vakatawa and Chavancy all very good players in the centres

Buttin has been one of the best in the Top 14 this season early on. As I mentioned before, I wouldn't worry about him losing playing time now that the cup stars are back. His talent level is already quite high and he's only going to get better. he may be the best fullback in the world down the road to be quite honest.

I agree about Parra being the top scrum half, but remember that Doussain can also play fly half as this was his first position.

Gillian Galan is also a player to watch. He has been quite impressive while replacing Louis Picamolles. He's still pretty young (born in 1991) but I hope he'll get some more playing time.
I rate Jean Marc Doussain higher than Parra and of course Jean Marcellin Buttin is also pretty impressive since the begining of the Top 14.

Gillian Galan is also a player to watch. He has been quite impressive while replacing Louis Picamolles. He's still pretty young (born in 1991) but I hope he'll get some more playing time.
I rate Jean Marc Doussain higher than Parra and of course Jean Marcellin Buttin is also pretty impressive since the begining of the Top 14.

bonjour Sud Rugby, je trouve ton blog trés interessant!

great to have your rugby knowledge here Sud Rugby

I think Galan has done well so far, but seriously he needs to get in shape as he's too fat to play France at the minute, Harinordoquy and Picamoles are more athletic and are effective at more aspects of forward play in my opinion

6201547999_c29921ec1f.jpg

Regarding Buttin, I think Clermont should play him as first choice 15 even though Byrne has arrived (who is hindsight has turned out to be a very pointless signing with Floch already there and Buttin looking so good)

I would even select Buttin for France at some point in 2012, with Médard on the wing

bonjour Sud Rugby, je trouve ton blog trés interessant!

great to have your rugby knowledge here Sud Rugby

I think Galan has done well so far, but seriously he needs to get in shape as he's too fat to play France at the minute, Harinordoquy and Picamoles are more athletic and are effective at more aspects of forward play in my opinion

6201547999_c29921ec1f.jpg

Regarding Buttin, I think Clermont should play him as first choice 15 even though Byrne has arrived (who is hindsight has turned out to be a very pointless signing with Floch already there and Buttin looking so good)

I would even select Buttin for France at some point in 2012, with Médard on the wing

The funny stuff with Galan is that he is studying to become a nutritionist!
But I agree he has to loose some fat!

Latest posts