• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top14 2013/2014 squads

................NOt for meeeee!

Why should international rugby with its once every four year jamboreee (and only the last three weeks of that being of any real interest) supercede the leagues that run every winter and are keenly fought - like the Top 14 and Premiership if not really the Rabo. I know which I prefer and have for many years now.....

Good for you but it is a majority of rugby fans who put there national teams first and care more about them and there is proof of that in viewing figures and match attendances.

Whatever mate...I don't give a flying, u either change or you will be left way behind.....it's upto u guys...

Good luck in reaching knockout stages of the world cups Of the future...

5618.jpg

Teamphoto0_LeinsterHeinekencelebrations11.jpg

h15.jpg

Don't lose the files. U will need something to show ur grandchildren...

Whereas Biarritz have gone from strength to strength.

The Rabo is also translating really badly on the international front at the moment. Except for the 2013, 2012 and 2009 Six Nations ***les. Meanwhile, backed up the enormous strength of the Top 14, France managed to achieve their first ever wooden spoon in the Six Nations last year. Jolly good.

Blast, you're right. I must have made all of those incidences up.

Listen, the fact of the matter is this: Professional rugby is still at the stage where it's far too early to tell which system works best both domestically and internationally. The system of provincial sides has worked excellently on the European level for Ireland, with 8 league ***les and 7 Heineken Cups being split between Leinster, Munster and Ulster, as well as Leinster's 2013 challenge cup victory. The Scottish and Welsh sides have enjoyed less success, however Wales have managed to win a disproportionate number of 6 nations ***les over the last few years, as well as achieving a respectable 4th place finish in the last World Cup.

Contrasting that with France. The top 3 or 4 clubs appear to be growing a good deal stronger, yet whether this is a good thing for French rugby has yet to be seen. Traditional rugby stronghold such as Biarritz, Perpignan, Bourgoin, etc are fading, while a new monied elite appears to be rising. Castres' success last year was indeed impressive, but one must wonder if it is soon to be a thing of the past as small town clubs become less able to compete financially. Is this a good thing? Well in terms of European success the last 3 or 4 years has seen French sides fare no better than the mid 00's and before, while the performance of the national side has been alarming in comparison to that period.

French domestic rugby reminds me of Spanish football somewhat at the moment. The top sides in the league will indeed be very strong, but as you move down the ranks the quality drops off quickly.

Alas, that may indeed be a fatal blow to my argument. Well played.

As said, the future is laid out, adapt, or be left behind,

U can argue as much as u like....it will just make it even more difficult to change..

I don't give a flying what u decide to do....

Good luck for the future...

How is the future laid out? What are the indications that this is happening? As far as I can see things have largely stayed the same in world rugby over the past few years. No outstanding side in Europe, New Zealand still leagues ahead of everyone else. What's your evidence aside from your opinion?

I don't know you tell me.... Ha ha ha

Filled stadia, new stadia, 1200 plus players professionally employed, magnet for gifted players from around the world, tv money threatening a correction of current European format....do u want much more ?

Please continue to argue...but I won't be replying, it's not for me to argue with you , as I don't give a flying what happens to the rabo...and sadly do more and more bums that ain't buying tickets to sit on seats to watch a load of ****e...

I'm sorry, but none of that indicates the major shift in global rugby you're implying. You're simply making a prediction, but as of yet there are no actual results to back it up.

Just finished my viewing of the highlights of all matches in the prod2,

U should take a look at numbers of bums on seats to watch tier 2 rugby matches...

Then take a look at empty seats for rabo games....

Ha ha ha ha

It's hilarious when people refuse to seen whats in front of them....

Some of the comments in the above are true but there seems to be an awful lack of knowledge about French clubs, Take Castres for example, small town yes, middle of the road budget yes, are they going to survive well of course they are, they are sponsored by one of the biggest pharmacutical- beauty companies in France, Fabre, the old boy who owned it all, died recently and left a legacy for many many years so Castres are fincancially in no problems.
Perpignan have a naw President and sponsor, they will add to their sponsors another club coming back into the top of the Elite, Bordeaux similar case,they have big sponsors and budgets will increase with success, Montpellier have had good success, budgets increased. The only contentions will be the sides promoted from PRO D2 can they survive!!!
One massive question why are UK broadcasting companies showing TOP 14? We do not see Rabo or very little Premiership coverage, certainly no live league matches.Is has been known for years that the Irish sides play only for the H Cup, that is not a problem for me but please dont say they would survive in the TOP 14 very few side would from either UK leagues. Yes the money is here in France and it will continue to be so and the worlds best players will keep coming, i watch rugby week in week out as a club official and are priviledged to see great games all the games are televised in France YES EVERY SINGLE ONE.and are reshown during the week so by the end of the week all games are watchable, this only happens when games are worth showing which is the case for the majority of the Top 14 fixtures.

Last edited:
It's called the commercial game....it's the blueprint

Not un commercial, union subsidised outfits playing in an un competitive boring "competition" which generally fails to bums on seats as people don't want to spend money to watch teams who do not take each game seriously but cotton wool players for debrbies, hcup and Internationals. Those countries are losing players to the competitive model and will increasingly do so...this is also followed by money which wants to come into the game...

Who would u want asspciciate ur brand with ? World stars? Or dragons c team?

This will go only one way....

C est Bon!

One massive question why are UK broadcasting companies showing TOP 14?

What?

We get to see pretty much every competition.
We have a hugely competitive sports tv landscape.

ITM Cup
Currie Cup
Super Rugby
Rugby Championship
Top14
Rabo

The only "significant" league we don't get coverage of is Japanese rugby.

Good to see u have the rabble at the bottom, but I'm not sure it should be anywhere near a list of "competitions"

It is not one...

Latest posts