• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The nitpicking thread

U

umosay

List and discuss things that look crap in the game from what you have seen so far

-Kickoffs - if a player kicks it to the right hand side of the field they use their left foot and vice versa for the left-side... last time i checked kickers have a preferred foot. Also the fact they never connect with the ball.. sometimes this looks terrible other times not so bad

-'That' diving on the ball animation at rucks (from rugby 2004). Could form a bridge instead of diving on it, better still have a ball stealing animation at rucks

-Players running round wrecklessly when a try is scored/lineout etc... they do loops and it looks quite odd. Generally the players look like they have far too much energy.

-Too many players chasing the ball carrier, and all running the same way in-sync

-flat-footedness

Anyway, those are nitpicking as i say, would be nice to have them upgraded though

Any more?

- Wardrobe Malfunction: Lions socks. They've got the licence for crying out loud. Barbarians aren't wearing club socks. God, I love socks.

- Unexcited commentary and crowds when there is a try.

- The two gross forward passes in the Sharks v Bulls video (2nd half).

- more later.

- obvious forward passes

- crowd go crazy when the opposition scored

- few jerseys are wrong or outdated (tho it aint a problem to me)

anyhoo, its better than all rugby games

kicking without a doubt

AI animations in general play - the tackles etc are fine....but if u squint, and stand 5m away from the TV......de ja vu Rugby 2004.......each team runs around like rugby 2004 IMO....its just looks alot better with the new graphics

commentary - yes they do not get excited

Captain - i know theres a sound option to juice up the crowd, and tone down the commentary (to make it sound like a full house)....but whether or not that creates an excitement factor when u score (ie the crowd roars alot louder than normal), i dunno YET!!!!

no Connacht (tho unconfirmed but 99% unlikely) in the game... why not?
... could have added them and The Borders and immediately there would be another competition to add to their list - The Celtic League, or "Gaelic League" seeing as they wouldn't have the license!

... no "Create-a-team" mode (would have solved my initial nit-pick!)

... no great distance in kicking game (kinda scuppers Irelands gameplan if the forwards are having a **** day!)

... lack of camera angles whilst in play

Ok, I've played this game to death for a couple of weeks, and here's my nitpicking. Don't be too disheartened if the list seems long, it's just that I'm trying to add as many problems as possible, no matter how trivial, so that you get a better picture! Make no mistake about it, even tho there are lots of things on my list, I still stand by my RUGBY 2005 review.... it's the best Rugby game out there!

Tackling animations kicking in just as you're going to pass! This makes it very frustrating when you want to draw the man in before passing, only to find that you can't pass the ball cos the AI tackler is about to make a tackle! Doesn't happen all the time, but highly frsutrating when it does!

No offloads

Up and Unders are next too useless

Jump Button seems "Tacked" on! Added as an afterthought!

If you make a break down the wing and get tackled near the tryline, 99% of the time, the defending team will get a turnover!

AI set plays are a little too hard to defend against!

If you know what you're doing, it's far too easy to run through the whole team with just one man! (AI only, NOT Multiplayer)

Steps/fends/Charges etc aren't really needed. However, when you do make breaks and shrug tacklers off, they feel and look great.

Too easy to lose lineouts/scrums, even on your throw/put in against the AI!

AI seems to cheat sometimes! ie, I was beating Australia 5-0 with 77 minutes on the clock, they kicked off to me, caught the ball and ran through the whole of my team before scoring under the sticks, and adding the extras to win 7-5 on 80 minutes! I don't know why, but it felt like no matter what I did, they would've still scored that try and goal!

Recievers standing still after getting the ball from a ruck! (NRL had this problem too, albeit much worse)

Commentary is rubbish! Better than 04, but that's not saying much!

Ball physics after a punt downfield are strange to say the least

Cut out passes aren't as quick as I'd like, they sort of "Float"!

Apart from holding out for your set play icon above the scrum halfs head to flash, rucks are still a touch on the automatic side!

The AI can push Mauls for yards, I can't push a maul an inch!!!! This may just be me tho, and not the game at fault!

If your attacking line isn't quite set when the ball's passed, it'll not be picked up by anyone and will end up 50 yards back towards your own line! Again, with experience this doesn't happen often, but for your first few games it'll be happening with extreme regularity!

The camera Angle choice is pathetic

Not enough set play choices, just classic, pivot, switch and pocket

It does have a 2004 feel to it.... but it's a million miles from that game!

That'll do for now!

-Commentary makes me want to puke.

-Classic 2 camera view doesn't make players size look right.

-Side camera view looks too hard for kicking.

//-Commentary makes me want to puke.

Hahaha. NHL 2001 was LIGHT YEARS ahead of this commentary. Surely it can't be that hard to get it right... or ever just better? Oh well...

For starters, they need to get rid of the UK guys doing the main commentary! Once failed, twcie failed. (apart from Bill, of course)

Yeah, I find the videos much more enjoyable when I mute them. Murray's random comments will keep me entertained for a day or two, but Ian Robertson's comments which are directly from Rugby 2004 are plain bad.

Edit - HB needed to do much more than just change the commentator, they needed to burn the Rugby 2004 script, and come up with a new one. They better do this for Rugby 2006.

Originally posted by lemon@Feb 18 2005, 01:15 PM
//-Commentary makes me want to puke.

Hahaha. NHL 2001 was LIGHT YEARS ahead of this commentary. Surely it can't be that hard to get it right... or ever just better? Oh well...
The best commentaries:

1. Bill McLaren - awesome, really good, doesn't sound scripted

2. Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution - very good, very animated, very funny. Even though I can't understand a word of Japanese it makes me laugh every time the guy says "Beck-ham, NICE IDEA!". Great stuff!

3. NFL Blitz, great stuff, two arguing commentators, very funny. "Hey Tim, what the hell would you know about football???" "Well Bill, I was the backup extra-point place kick holder. You've gotta be tough to take that job".

4. NRL - I liked it quite a lot, not enough of it though.

Originally posted by JJ-@Feb 18 2005, 01:05 PM
-Commentary makes me want to puke.

-Side camera view looks too hard for kicking.
<< The two gross forward passes in the Sharks v Bulls video (2nd half).
>>

<<-Commentary makes me want to puke.

-Side camera view looks too hard for kicking.>>

Mmmmm....

<
<

On the first point - the forward passes - with only one viewing I think it might be the old camera catch-up illusion getting you guys. I felt - both times - that he had passed it, but the camera had stayed with him mistakenly for a second and then shot forward to go with the guy who actually had been given the ball - this couple with the passer tumbling sideways and back could have fooled you...like you guys got dummied...? Just a thought.

As for the old "Side camera loooks too hard for kicking" comment - I tire of this. You can't have played side view in all the other games as God meant it to be and now must be reborn into this view. Be thankful.
Tip - It's all about your feel for angles (obviously the widescreen option and tv to accompany will make this even easier to do - kicking in side view that is) like PES4 which obviously must also be played in side view...

Hell, this is how all sport is experienced on tv!!!!>????

THIS IS B/C IT IS THE BEST - it is not a coincidence. A sports SIM therefore must be played in simulation of the game experience - i.e. SIDE VIEW.

<<commentary make me want to puke>>

I feel something similar at the moment - maybe turning it off is an option? Just a thought.

I enjoyed JLR and WCR on side view, but I find the view where it swings in behind gives you more of a feel about where to kick it. You can see exactly where the full back is, where the wingers are if they've dropped back, and it seems to be better for finding gaps, and seeing when the fullback is coming.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM
On the first point - the forward passes - with only one viewing I think it might be the old camera catch-up illusion getting you guys. I felt - both times - that he had passed it, but the camera had stayed with him mistakenly for a second and then shot forward to go with the guy who actually had been given the ball - this couple with the passer tumbling sideways and back could have fooled you...like you guys got dummied...? Just a thought.
Oh, hell no, you didn't just go there.

Yeah, I mightta been dummied had the camera not still shown that the flyhalf was indicated as having the ball long after the centre done past his ass. Then, and you can slow your frames up in .wmv, you can clearly see the ball get sped-up-passed to him. What-up-with-that?

Don't be tellin' me I'm all dummied and stuff -- them Sharks be playin' some serious weird rugby.

That just gave me an idea. For the next rugby game, when you dummy, the player who got dummied too (ie the recipient if the ball had been let go) should become highlighted for a split second or two, so that the human really does get dummied.

I hated it on how RL when you got dummied your player would just freeze up.

Originally posted by JJ-@Feb 18 2005, 01:53 PM
That just gave me an idea. For the next rugby game, when you dummy, the player who got dummied too (ie the recipient if the ball had been let go) should become highlighted for a split second or two, so that the human really does get dummied.

I hated it on how RL when you got dummied your player would just freeze up.
They're kinda doing that in the American football games with the Play-Action pass. You fake the hand-off and the camera stays with the running back while you (as the quarterback) drop back into the pocket. Nice.

The only thing I'd say about having the dummy in rugby like that is, your defender should have the ability to knock the snot out of either one of those players thus interrupting the play or biting on the fake. Biting hard.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM
As for the old "Side camera loooks too hard for kicking" comment - I tire of this. You can't have played side view in all the other games as God meant it to be and now must be reborn into this view. Be thankful.
Tip - It's all about your feel for angles (obviously the widescreen option and tv to accompany will make this even easier to do - kicking in side view that is) like PES4 which obviously must also be played in side view...

Hell, this is how all sport is experienced on tv!!!!>????

THIS IS B/C IT IS THE BEST - it is not a coincidence. A sports SIM therefore must be played in simulation of the game experience - i.e. SIDE VIEW.
i could not agree more

side view is the only way

even in 2004 - i got a 2nd wind when i moved to side view........a 2nd wind in that game is a miracle..........its all about side cam.....the way we all watch rugby.

Ya wonder why the seats behind the posts are cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, when Rugby eventually goes online and I want to smack you side view punks, will we be able to play the game from our respective televisions on whichever camera setting we want?

Side view.
<

Whoops! Not calling you guys dummies at all...lol.

I guess what I mean is that it's not really a forward pass, just a lapse in animation. But I think it works well as a sell and look forward to marking up on it etc....

I don't mind the comp taking liberties et - b/c it lifts the challenge.

SIDE VIEW! SIDE VIEW!

Classis etc is too far away - looks like frogger or something!!

Latest posts