• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The nitpicking thread

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 18 2005, 02:01 PM
So, when Rugby eventually goes online and I want to smack you side view punks, will we be able to play the game from our respective televisions on whichever camera setting we want?

Side view.
<
mate i'll play u on any view there is

once i master a rugby game - i move to another view for the extra challenge, untill all views are mastered

i do this now coz in the JLR days we'd have one half side view, the other half behind, coz my mates could not handle side cam for a full match (i cannot believe they even went to behind cam in JLR)

but since that experience, and having dumbass scorelines where each half was dominated by the person used to that particular view...i have opted to challenge all angles..............my fave being the 1st one i master

online tho it wont matter (i believe)
u could play on any view u wanted i reckon..........just like online racing games...its ur car u watch, not split screen or anything.

Originally posted by ak47+Feb 18 2005, 01:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Feb 18 2005, 01:58 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM
As for the old "Side camera loooks too hard for kicking" comment - I tire of this. You can't have played side view in all the other games as God meant it to be and now must be reborn into this view. Be thankful.
Tip - It's all about your feel for angles (obviously the widescreen option and tv to accompany will make this even easier to do - kicking in side view that is) like PES4 which obviously must also be played in side view...

Hell, this is how all sport is experienced on tv!!!!>????

THIS IS B/C IT IS THE BEST - it is not a coincidence. A sports SIM therefore must be played in simulation of the game experience - i.e. SIDE VIEW.
i could not agree more

side view is the only way

even in 2004 - i got a 2nd wind when i moved to side view........a 2nd wind in that game is a miracle..........its all about side cam.....the way we all watch rugby.

Ya wonder why the seats behind the posts are cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
Nice point AK47 - very nice.

You can't dispute facts at the end of the day...

Captain America - stop being so cheeky!! Why do none of you have any decent reasons for the up and down view - and don't say "you can see space to kick into" as kicking is for pussies and you get a feel for this anyway after a while....also don't say "you can see when the wingers are back etc" b/c you simply deal with this when you come to it i.e. winger appears - step, pass whatever...it's not like he blindsides you from out of the corner of the screen....for f***'s sake.

TVs are cheaper than they've ever been - side view is obviously the best view for the reasons already mentioned - so go get the wide screen tv, switch it to widescreen in the menu options as Locksley revealed this option exists, and then you truly will have no excuses.

The future beckons you guyz....even if it should have done so well in the past.

ET's league is over.....move on......

Haha. Why do you guys have such strong opinions about the view!?

Surely we can all have our preferences, that's why they included more than one view in the game?

Isn't there an option to turn a "radar" on for postitional kicking in regards to the opposing fullback?

Fair enough JJ.....This is true.

Still think side rocks though.....

and good point Lemon - the radar is indeed important on side view for kicking deep - I just do this so seldom that's it's not really an issue.

You know when Spencer ran out of the in-goal against Canterbury and conspired with Rokodon'tyouknowI'mlococoko and finished off a hundred metre try only to run under the posts, all the way along the in-goal and place the ball by the flag........This, when needing to get the conversion to deny Canterbury the bonus point and win by 7......He gives the partisan crowd the bird for insulting his wife and holding "I hate Auckland signs"....Then amidst the booing and the tangle of television wires, he slots the damn thing straight down the middle....A hush falls over the crowd....A hero is born.

Lol!

That's how I play my console rugby - f%$k kicking.
<

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 18 2005, 06:04 PM
Fair enough JJ.....This is true.

Still think side rocks though.....

and good point Lemon - the radar is indeed important on side view for kicking deep - I just do this so seldom that's it's not really an issue.

You know when Spencer ran out of the in-goal against Canterbury and conspired with Rokodon'tyouknowI'mlococoko and finished off a hundred metre try only to run under the posts, all the way along the in-goal and place the ball by the flag........This, when needing to get the conversion to deny Canterbury the bonus point and win by 7......He gives the partisan crowd the bird for insulting his wife and holding "I hate Auckland signs"....Then amidst the booing and the tangle of television wires, he slots the damn thing straight down the middle....A hush falls over the crowd....A hero is born.

Lol!

That's how I play my console rugby - f%$k kicking.
<
Hell, I remember that, It was bloody brilliant stuff.
(I hate canturbury even more than I hate Auckland).
I couldn't believe that such a **** goalkicker actually did that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
If you know what you're doing, it's far too easy to run through the whole team with just one man! (AI only, NOT Multiplayer)[/b]

Lockley, are you referring to using the trick here?

Is it still easy to run through the whole team on hard?

Cheers

I am with Um on the AI kicking to much especially the one where Larkham on his 10m line kicks the ball directly out(not in his 22) without a bounce in the NZ vs OZ clip and they take the line out from there and not from where he kicked it.

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 18 2005, 08:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
If you know what you're doing, it's far too easy to run through the whole team with just one man! (AI only, NOT Multiplayer)

Cheers [/b][/quote]

Yes!

Not as easy, but it still can be done!

Cheers

On a side note, I've had a multiplayer tournament this morning! 4 people, 1 on 1 and 2 on 2! Great fun.. no, scrap that, 2 on 2 was REALLY great fun! Me and my mate were Japan against my brother and his mate who were the All blacks!

Final score, 20-19 to JAPAN, after a superb turnover, break upfield and a sweetly slotted over drop goal! Breathtaking!

After the one on one games, I still LOVE this game, so does my mate! However, my brother and his mate think the game stinks!!! Horses for courses eh?

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 19 2005, 02:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 19 2005, 02:10 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44
@Feb 18 2005, 08:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
If you know what you're doing, it's far too easy to run through the whole team with just one man! (AI only, NOT Multiplayer)

Cheers [/b]

Yes!

Not as easy, but it still can be done!

Cheers

On a side note, I've had a multiplayer tournament this morning! 4 people, 1 on 1 and 2 on 2! Great fun.. no, scrap that, 2 on 2 was REALLY great fun! Me and my mate were Japan against my brother and his mate who were the All blacks!

Final score, 20-19 to JAPAN, after a superb turnover, break upfield and a sweetly slotted over drop goal! Breathtaking!

After the one on one games, I still LOVE this game, so does my mate! However, my brother and his mate think the game stinks!!! Horses for courses eh?
[/b][/quote]
Could that be something to do with the fact your brother and his mate lost?
<

Originally posted by TheBokke@Feb 19 2005, 02:04 AM
I am with Um on the AI kicking to much especially the one where Larkham on his 10m line kicks the ball directly out(not in his 22) without a bounce in the NZ vs OZ clip and they take the line out from there and not from where he kicked it.
actually it does seem to vary - in the Blues v Chiefs game the AI does run with the ball much more. In the Bulls v Sharks game the AI only run when the balls in the opposition 22. In the Blacks V Aus game the AI doesn't run at all. Having said that they hardly ever get the ball!

Maybe it depends on the stats of the team and difficulty level?

Originally posted by Los Lover+Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-
@Feb 18 2005, 01:05 PM
-Commentary makes me want to puke.

-Classic 2 camera view doesn't make players size look right.

-Side camera view looks too hard for kicking.
<< The two gross forward passes in the Sharks v Bulls video (2nd half).
>>

<<-Commentary makes me want to puke.

-Side camera view looks too hard for kicking.>>

Mmmmm....

<
<

On the first point - the forward passes - with only one viewing I think it might be the old camera catch-up illusion getting you guys. I felt - both times - that he had passed it, but the camera had stayed with him mistakenly for a second and then shot forward to go with the guy who actually had been given the ball - this couple with the passer tumbling sideways and back could have fooled you...like you guys got dummied...? Just a thought.

As for the old "Side camera loooks too hard for kicking" comment - I tire of this. You can't have played side view in all the other games as God meant it to be and now must be reborn into this view. Be thankful.
Tip - It's all about your feel for angles (obviously the widescreen option and tv to accompany will make this even easier to do - kicking in side view that is) like PES4 which obviously must also be played in side view...

THIS IS B/C IT IS THE BEST - it is not a coincidence. A sports SIM therefore must be played in simulation of the game experience - i.e. SIDE VIEW.

<<commentary make me want to puke>>

I feel something similar at the moment - maybe turning it off is an option? Just a thought. [/b]
Yes in real life you watch rugby from the side side BUT remember the players are seeing the game from an end to end perspective. So in actual fact the view that best represents the game from a simulation stand point, is end to end i.e. classic

I get your point about kicking on side view - i.e getting used to angles, but tell me how you acurately judge the angle and distance for a drop goal, if you can't see the posts?

Also, how can you possibly judge a gap properly on side view, let alone line up tackles?

I have played side view on other rugby games and it doesn't feel right.

Ok now for my nits to pick ( and possible solutions!)

- kicking distance is shocking (perhaps the way round this is to kick into space and let the ball bounce? Or kicks need to be aimed closer to the touch line)

- flat footed receivers (not much you can do about this. Set plays seem to flow better and short pop up balls to the forwards eliminates this problem)

- classic 2 view spinning to behind the attacker is disorienting, and classic view has problems with the passing mechanism

- Ai kicks too much (could just depend on the teams - Blues V Chiefs had more AI passing)

- too slow from classic view. Players seem to lumber along in classic view. Faster from the side.

- bomds don't seem to work well for human players

- lack of gaps and breaks. Slow grind up the pitch ( maybe practice with fends, sidesteps will rectify this or even fiddling with the teams stats!)

- fends, sidesteps etc seem ineffective

Even with all these faults I recon this will be a good game, even on single player.

I noticed this in the NZ vs Oz video.

It's about 10 minutes in game time.

-All the Oz backs in defense come up at lineout even though ball is pulled down into a stationary maul. Therefore space at line out is closed up.
Another thing I notice with lineouts was the scrumhalf taking a goose step before passing after taking the off the top ball. (Not sure if that is just user or if that is animation just looks slow).

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 19 2005, 03:35 AM
Maybe it depends on the stats of the team and difficulty level?
Yes, In Rugby 2004 the teams had overall stats for their style of play, and kicking was one of them. This would explain it.

Originally posted by jimmy44+Feb 19 2005, 04:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Feb 19 2005, 04:37 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-

>>

Mmmmm....

<
<

On the first point - the forward passes - with only one viewing I think it might be the old camera catch-up illusion getting you guys. I felt - both times - that he had passed it, but the camera had stayed with him mistakenly for a second and then shot forward to go with the guy who actually had been given the ball - this couple with the passer tumbling sideways and back could have fooled you...like you guys got dummied...? Just a thought.

I feel something similar at the moment - maybe turning it off is an option? Just a thought.
Yes in real life you watch rugby from the side side BUT remember the players are seeing the game from an end to end perspective. So in actual fact the view that best represents the game from a simulation stand point, is end to end i.e. classic

I get your point about kicking on side view - i.e getting used to angles, but tell me how you acurately judge the angle and distance for a drop goal, if you can't see the posts?

Also, how can you possibly judge a gap properly on side view, let alone line up tackles?

I have played side view on other rugby games and it doesn't feel right. [/b]
<<how do you line up dropkicks>>

You know where the posts are - right? You know they are in the middle right? SOOooooooo...you kick straight when you are in the middle of the field and angle it accoringly if you are not. I was a very good kicker in JLR which is EXACTLY the same view.

I made the final of the Auckland competition and my best result in a 15 minute game is 267-0 (honest).

Thus, side view is only not the complete package if you are either:

- not a very good gamer
- don't take the time to get used to it

if you want to play it "like the player" then you would play action cam on the other games so you could see just you and just infront of you...Haha! see? Rubbish really isn't it? All this - 'as if it was me' crap - get over yourselves....you're controlling the team NOT yourself....shesh!?

<<How can you possible line up a tackle or make a gap??>>

The same way I do in JLR....with great f^&%$ing ease that's how.
If your judgement of angles and gaps is so poor (This is all I can assume) that you can only see them when you are on some gay blimp/bird's eye nonsense - which is nothing like the view of the players..unless of course you are 80 feet tall..lol!! - then you are a lost cause.

I'll be having more fun and realism on side view. It don't bother me if you play retro-style...do as you wish. But it is not better or even as good as side...It is just what you prefer.

Originally posted by Los Lover+Feb 19 2005, 10:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Feb 19 2005, 10:31 AM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 19 2005, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 18 2005, 01:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-

>>

Mmmmm....

<
<

I feel something similar at the moment - maybe turning it off is an option? Just a thought.

I have played side view on other rugby games and it doesn't feel right.
<<how do you line up dropkicks>>

You know where the posts are - right? You know they are in the middle right? SOOooooooo...you kick straight when you are in the middle of the field and angle it accoringly if you are not. I was a very good kicker in JLR which is EXACTLY the same view.

I made the final of the Auckland competition and my best result in a 15 minute game is 267-0 (honest).

Thus, side view is only not the complete package if you are either:

- not a very good gamer
- don't take the time to get used to it

if you want to play it "like the player" then you would play action cam on the other games so you could see just you and just infront of you...Haha! see? Rubbish really isn't it? All this - 'as if it was me' crap - get over yourselves....you're controlling the team NOT yourself....shesh!?

<<How can you possible line up a tackle or make a gap??>>

The same way I do in JLR....with great f^&%$ing ease that's how.
If your judgement of angles and gaps is so poor (This is all I can assume) that you can only see them when you are on some gay blimp/bird's eye nonsense - which is nothing like the view of the players..unless of course you are 80 feet tall..lol!! - then you are a lost cause.

I'll be having more fun and realism on side view. It don't bother me if you play retro-style...do as you wish. But it is not better or even as good as side...It is just what you prefer. [/b]
How can you angle it 'accordingly' if you can't see the posts?

Anyway it doesn't matter I have played both side and end on view and theres no contest in my view. But its just my preference, I'm not preaching to anyone!

<<How can you angle it 'accordingly' if you can't see the posts?
>>

Because you know where they are and, from experience and judgment (crucial), how far they stretch. Depending on where you are, you kick accordingly. If you are ten metres to the left of the posts approxiamtely, then you aim so the ball will travel on angle that takes it ten metres to the right....OK?

Look....If someone covered up the top half of the screen on your cricket game, you could still bowl the ball straight over the stumps right? - b/c U know exactly where they are right?...right in the middle of the field. There is no difference.

If you don't get this....side view is not your cup of tea anyhow.

Hell, does anyone who voted for classic (not classic 2 which is passable) actually realise that the pass buttons are all mirrored etc and that it is virtually unplayable? Please convert these votes to the side view immediately!

<

Latest posts