• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Online Thread

Finishing most games now, even managed to rack up my biggest win yet 78-0 fair play to the guy for not quiting.

I was stuffing this French guy (no lag) & he quit blaming lag LOL

Had a couple of cracking games and a 1-sided affair this evening up against IRFU from here on TRF.

First game was a 10-8 win Fra (me) v Eng which was very much a game of 2 halves, mine being the 1st and his the 2nd - some good defence and hands in the ruck saw me over the line when he opted to run the ball as opposed to kicking for goal, how often to we hear that in real life!

Next match was Wales (me) v Scotland (IRFU) that ended up very 1 sided with me holding him scoreless but racking up 36 points with 6 tries, he did come close, especially towards the end but I kept him out. Full match below:

The last match was to make up for the 1 sided affair with me as England and him as Ireland, with the match getting off to a flyer with me sending Armitage down for 5 in the far right corner within the first few mins. He responded though and if it weren't for a bug/glitch sending his decision to run a 5m penalty back to the 50m line and a messy bit of kicking from Bowe with the line in his sights, he probably would've went over for a deserved 5pts.
But as it was, I earned a reprieve and continued good defence held him at bay until a kick for touch and half time called with me 5-0 to the good.
More give & take in the second half ensued until some good work by Youngs sniping up the near touch from a lineout win, provided me with the space on the right of the field to move the ball to an overlap and send Armitage in the corner again, Flood adding the conversion for a 12-0 lead.
IRFU pressed more trying some runs from deep, but good defence allowed me to gradually strangle the game and keep Ireland well in their half, and as time ran down the match was completed with my killing the ball in the last ruck on the half way line without the ref pinging for it and the whistle blew for time. Full match below:

Another good win in what was a fairly intense match.

I have to say, I am really enjoying online, even the games I lose (there have been a fair few!) are generally up there with the enjoyment I've got from the likes of games on FIFA etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
man I played the demo with my friend and we played on the same team... ITS SO FUN!

So, hard wired my ps3 to my wireless box and, as if by magic, lag all gone!!Much much better! Rage quitters still doing my head in though! Anyone wants a ps3 game add me, g-leprechaun !Ps I see patch is released for ps3

Hello Gleprechaun its me Alwales.The online services are slightly better today but lots of quitters out there!I've been trying Shane Williams at Number8 It's quality. Speeds off the back of the scrum or from a long lineout.

Hey Guys,

We have been reading and even getting some emails on the subject of online. It seems that some people are having good experiences and other horrible ones.
I'm curious to know if you are having a relatively good experience whether you are connected with an ethernet cable or whether you are connected via wireless and vice-versa. Also what platform are you experiencing the issue on?

Further to this are you experiencing better chances of connecting to other players when playing with an ethernet connection?

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

We have been reading and even getting some emails on the subject of online. It seems that some people are having good experiences and other horrible ones.
I'm curious to know if you are having a relatively good experience whether you are connected with an ethernet cable or whether you are connected via wireless and vice-versa. Also what platform are you experiencing the issue on?

Hi Glen, I have tried both ways and not really much of a difference on my side. On my network status I get a 100% signal and the last few days I've been getting 4 green bars but when playing I get just a little lag. Nothing serious but my player just gives one or two extra steps before responding. Like when a offload command prompts come on and I press it nothing happens because of the lag i missed that split second I have to perform it.

By and large, online has been a good experience for me.

Xbox360 connected via ethernet cable
Internet is via a 36MB Infinity
Patched to 1.01

Not since the first day have I seen gameplay lag such as player slowdown/jumping onscreen but I do continue to experience some slight lag in terms of the responsiveness of button presses (as per Rugbybrain above), I've only ever been able to perform 1 quick steal from an isolated tackle out of probably 30 online games. I also see it when selecting ruck and defense strategies, it can be a second or 2 after the button press before the menu appears in the bottom onscreen corner.
It's not a game changer but is frustrating, particularly when defending near your own try line and a quick steal opportunity cannot be taken, it also sets you back from your ruck contention as you've now spent a split second pressing a different button as opposed to getting on the ruck intensity button immediately.

Have also experienced a disconnection when hosting a game between me and member IRFU from TRF here (think it was Arg v Sco), the game quit after only about 2-3mins of ingame play, neither of us had quit and we saw no reason for it happening (I think the ball had just been taken into contact when the disconnect occurred).
I hosted 3 further games and we didn't see the issue happen again.

Last edited:
Hi Alwales, not sure what happened when we tried to play, connection never seemed quite right then gave up. Glen - I was getting a very stuttered and laggy connection on wifi, changed to Ethernet and seemed to fix the majority of it, although still the odd random disconnect. To be honest the biggest issue is the rage quitters, if there was any way of introducing a ranking it would literally double my rating of the game, online gameplay is great.

Dear HB Glen,On the PS3 the issue is not lag or speed but nearly every match gets disconnected for no apparent reason.It would also be nice if the following updates could be implemented ASAP.1. Option at end of game for re-match2. Only the person who has scored the try has the power to skip replays (spool time consuming)3. You can see recent players met on your PSN control panel so you can add or message them. Every other online game has this facility.4. More stadium choices for online matches. 3 is a joke! 90% of us would choose a stadium NOT in New Zealand.5. Teams need to be made more realistic. Ireland are not the best in the world.6. Something needs to be done about counter rucking. If you are playing a higher rated team it is virtually impossible to steal a ruck. You just have to wait till the opposing player makes a mistake.

Please add leaderboards or at least records, and would be nice to have the people you play in your recently met folder to add or rematch etc

Hi Glen,Xbox with latest patch and Ethernet connection.I played my first two online matches today at approx 15:00 GMT/UK time. The first game was annoyingly choppy/laggy to the extent that everything I did happened too late i.e. Selecting a player for defending etc.The second match was a joke - the framerate/lag was unbelievable. We both saw the match out but were left fuming.I had no other Internet applications running at the time.Will test the online play again tonight and let you know how it goes.

Hey Guys,

Further to this are you experiencing better chances of connecting to other players when playing with an ethernet connection?

I had only one online match, but I was connected via the 802.11g dongle on xbox 360 and it was smooth except for a disturbing input lag on 22m/start/restart kicks.

Just had two games vs Bristol Iain
First was England (me) vs Wales, and he beat me by 6
Second was France (me) vs Ireland and I won by 35 :D

Dear hb please f****** fix the playstation network problems

It's getting a bit of a joke now.

My connection is fine but I average about 1 full game out of 20 attempts.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP IT DISCONNECTING!

because most of my matches are with friends and it normally disconnects either at the start of a match or just after the 2nd half re-start

Latest posts