• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Perfect Backline!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>and im with you on spencer too. what a scapegoat of nz. untill we lost eveyone who wasnt a auckland basher loved him.[/b]

I simply have just never liked Carlos Spencer as an All Black. Period. At club level he was always fantastic and creative and fun to watch. But the moment he stepped on the field for the All Blacks, he was never the quite the same. Sure he was brilliant at times but he was always an error prone guy even at the best of times. The only difference being that at the test level, top teams capitalize on mistakes. I predicted disaster a year out openly saying that if Spencer is leading the All Blacks we're doomed for failure. Sure me just being the spiteful asshole that I am had a lot to do with it, but also I had serious concerns about his decision making and the fact that he couldn't goal kick consistently. Having him in the lineup meant somewhere along the line you need to pick a goalkicker over perhaps a more talented player (mind you that didn't happen). Which might explain why Ben Blair was in the squad, though I don't really understand his selection either.

Overall, bad defence, no goal kicking and little experience was the death of the team.
[/b][/quote]

Which clip is more representative of his current form?

all i can say about spencer is that when he threw the ball between his legs and did no look passes that went to a player who scored - you were smiling too. the simple fact was, mertz was just - just underform, and carter was in his first season of test level. we simply didnt have anyone left - apart from mitchells bum buddy macdonald who is, aparantly, a god at 1st 5.

yes spencer was a risk taker. but it did open peoples eyes to what can be done. like in the wc, when he was going to go for touch, he then tap kicked and scored a try. im not saying hes the best 5/8 ever, but at the time, he was extremely entertaining to watch, and was murdered undeservingly after the wc.

[/b][/quote]

People blame him for the semi final in 2003, but they forget that he wasn't the one missing a bunch of kicks and getting outmuscled up front (as well as getting steamrolled at 13 like Panadol was), and he was the sole reason we scored our try - all Thorne had to do was virtually fall his sorry carcas in the direction of the try line. I remember Chiro or Gay Guy making a post a couple of years ago about how MacDonald ran different lines to Umaga, and if Umaga had been playing in that backline move it wouldn't have been intercepted.

And the on the whole fullback / centre thing, the only time that can really be blamed is 2003 IMO when Panadol got steamrolled by Mortlock. Cullen made a decent fist of it in 1999, it wasn't like he imploded Nonu-at-Twickenham style. Ditto with Mils at Cardiff (Although Toeava did look a hell of a lot better when he came on).

Also, if we are supporting choices with video evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUlzj3_pis[/b]

Is there footage of the game mentioned above where he got run over by Jamie Noon and a rookie Anthony Allan?
[/b][/quote]

9 - Pichot
10 - Carter
11 - Rokocoko
12 - Giteau
13 - Umaga
14 - Williams
15 - Robinson

all i can say about spencer is that when he threw the ball between his legs and did no look passes that went to a player who scored - you were smiling too. the simple fact was, mertz was just - just underform, and carter was in his first season of test level. we simply didnt have anyone left - apart from mitchells bum buddy macdonald who is, aparantly, a god at 1st 5.

yes spencer was a risk taker. but it did open peoples eyes to what can be done. like in the wc, when he was going to go for touch, he then tap kicked and scored a try. im not saying hes the best 5/8 ever, but at the time, he was extremely entertaining to watch, and was murdered undeservingly after the wc.[/b]

I can't deny that Spencer had a unique set of skills, and yes when the magic was on it was brilliant, but that still doesn't change the fact that he was one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. Those glimpses of magic were fantastic, but at the same time I knew even a year out from the Cup that he is not the kind of guy you want to have running the show in a one off, winner take all high stakes game. I say that because there are only three possibilities that can happen:

1) He plays conservative and as such takes out the best part of his game- the big play.
2) He plays the same way and makes significant errors that cost the team the game
3) He plays a flawless game

As much as I dislike Spencer, he will never reach the level of hate that I resever for Coach Mitchell. His selection policies and coaching philosophies were atrocious. Now I realize that Merhts had injury problems and was out of form, but how can you honestly leave your major breadwinner over the past decade at home? No one can argue that Ralph, Blair and Atiga were better selections. Who care if you go one short in the back three, take the reliable old head that can kick goals under pressure and give him a bit of a blow in the pool play. If he's **** he's ****, but if he catches form, you're home free.

*Cough*JPR*Cough*

Maybe not the best, but was a huge threat in attack. Ah, the good old days when you could have lambchops on the side of your face and not be mocked!
[/b]
JPR was a brilliant fullback and 1 of the best of all time . He was also the hardest fullback of all time. I remember seeing him in the middle of the springbok pack laying forwards out left,right and centre. LEGEND.

9 elissalde
10 hernandez
11 caucau
12 mcallister
13 umaga
14 tuqiri
15 latham

they'd be great

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
9. Blair
10. Contepomi
11. Williams
12. Nonu
13. Mortlock
14. Clerc
15. Steyn [/b]

:blink:
[/b][/quote]

Yes, He has similar properties as Tana Umaga and he performed very well (in the first half when he was given the space) in that position for the Barbarians against SA, had the second half been as fast paced as the first I think Ma'a Nonu would have been a shoe in for MOTM.
I don't think he has the pace to compete on the wing at international level but from what I've seen of him I enjoy his style of play. I can only hope he stays with Union and is given a shot at the international game, lest be driven to League, as wikipedia informs me the Gold Coast ***ans have shown interest in him, should he choose to convert codes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUlzj3_pis
[/b][/quote]

Good choice,Nonu is one of the most exciting runners in world rugby and has been for a few years. His discipline and the fact the All Blacks have such strength and depth means the likes of RC who seemed to think this was a mad choice wont have seen much of him but he is a very good player.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
9. Blair
10. Contepomi
11. Williams
12. Nonu
13. Mortlock
14. Clerc
15. Steyn [/b]

:blink:
[/b][/quote]

Yes, He has similar properties as Tana Umaga and he performed very well (in the first half when he was given the space) in that position for the Barbarians against SA, had the second half been as fast paced as the first I think Ma'a Nonu would have been a shoe in for MOTM.
I don't think he has the pace to compete on the wing at international level but from what I've seen of him I enjoy his style of play. I can only hope he stays with Union and is given a shot at the international game, lest be driven to League, as wikipedia informs me the Gold Coast ***ans have shown interest in him, should he choose to convert codes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUlzj3_pis
[/b][/quote]

Good choice,Nonu is one of the most exciting runners in world rugby and has been for a few years. His discipline and the fact the All Blacks have such strength and depth means the likes of RC who seemed to think this was a mad choice wont have seen much of him but he is a very good player.
[/b][/quote]

It's a mad choice because at any level above Super 14 he get's exploited mercylessy. Even on the wing, like in the All Blacks/France tests in NZ last year, he came on at the 72 minute mark onto the wing and within 45 seconds conceded a try. From memory that was his first test since the Twickenham explosion as well.

Basing it on one festival halfarsed game is stupid.

Undoubtedly, this is one of the first times i've agreed with Ripper on an issue, but if i had a choice of all the NZ centres from the time i started watching rugby (nigh on 14 years) Nonu would honestly never come into my conisderation.
He's too one dimensional and just doesn't keep a defensive line very well. I admit, i haven't seen him play in a while, however, from what i last remember he was the key component to creating a dog's leg in the team's defence.
He is a quality player, i grant him that and effective as well, but at an international standard when you have the likes of Giteau to choose from, Nonu should never take presidence.

9. Du Preez
10. Carter
11. Habana
12. Giteau
13. Mortlock
14. Sivivatu
15. Steyn

No, I don't have anything against the NH
And yes, I truly and honestly believe that there is no one in Europe better than this lot

the perfect back line would be:
9. Pichot
10. Carter
11. Habana
12. Giteau
13. BOD
14. Williams / Tuqiri at his best
15. Lathem

Here's my backline.

9. Pichot
10. Carter
11. Habana
12. Giteau
13. Nonu
14. Sivivatu
15. Latham

9. Du Preez
10. Spencer
11. Habana
12. Carter
13. B.O.D
14. Rococoko
15. Steyn

thats gold!

11) Kelleher
10) Carter
11) Habana
12) jauzion
13) O'Driscoll
14) Rokocoko
15) Heymans

I can see peoples problem with Nonu, but I think given enough consistent international game time I think in time he could meet his potential.

9. R.Kocket
10.B James
11. B Habbana
12. B Barrit
13. W Murray
14. JP Pietersen
15. F Steyn

mine would be

9. fourie du preez
10. johnny wilkinson
11. Shane williams
12.Gavin Henson