• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Perfect Mix

lol, "a punch was thrown i think" said inverdale... they better not keep the same commentators or that will devalue the game somewhat! Another thing that sucked in rugby 2004 was when u had a lineout/scrum and it pulled right away to go to the set play screens to choose one... slowed the game down hugely and looked crap because all the players froze - would be better if a cut scene was running in the BG like setting up the lineout or something

Yeah the fact that the players froze was quite ghey. I've heard the commentator say 'A punch was thrown, I think', but never noticed anything actually happening.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Another thing that sucked in rugby 2004 was when u had a lineout/scrum and it pulled right away to go to the set play screens to choose one... slowed the game down hugely and looked crap because all the players froze - would be better if a cut scene was running in the BG like setting up the lineout or something[/b]

Having the play options in the BG would be better, it would mean you could call quick lineouts while the defence was getting organized. Also you should be able to add and subtract players from the lineout manually, like in a maul or scrum.

Originally posted by cavan@Dec 8 2004, 11:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Another thing that sucked in rugby 2004 was when u had a lineout/scrum and it pulled right away to go to the set play screens to choose one... slowed the game down hugely and looked crap because all the players froze - would be better if a cut scene was running in the BG like setting up the lineout or something

Having the play options in the BG would be better, it would mean you could call quick lineouts while the defence was getting organized. Also you should be able to add and subtract players from the lineout manually, like in a maul or scrum. [/b][/quote]
yeah, but once a lineout forms, you cannot leave it until it is over... so do you mean like start every lineout with 2 players then add more guys too it?

That would probably be too unrealistic. Maybe just hit a button once for a full line out, twice for a.. etc. That would speed things up.

Originally posted by Wally@Dec 9 2004, 06:03 PM
That would probably be too unrealistic. Maybe just hit a button once for a full line out, twice for a.. etc. That would speed things up.
Yeah, something like that. And have chosen lineout plays (scrum set pieces) etc similar to audibles in Madden. You can change on the go before passing the ball out. But, for the love of god, keep things quick.

I hate that, "Oh look!" mentality they created Rugby 2004 with: Oh look, here's the screen where you get to make this choice! Oh look, here's another screen where you get to make another choice! -- the first time it's kinda cool, but when you're playing matches and know what you want to do, it doesn't add to the longevity. I usually reach for the shotgun.

Lineouts is one area I wouldn't over complicate with endless variations etc (same with scrums). Emphasis should be on running rugby and quick possession.

A basic button setting similar to the below would be enough for me, and easy enough for newbies to understand.........

PS2 square: Tap = throw to front for tap down, hold square to take in 2 handed.
PS2 X: Tap = throw to middle for tap down, hold X to take in 2 handed.
PS2 circle: Tap = throw to back for tap down, hold circle to take 2 handed.

On the two handed take perhaps triangle button could be then pressed to initiate a rolling maul??

The hookers "throw in" stat would determine how accurate the throws are to each area. Defensively you just have to time the jump better then your opponent (easier to do with forwards that have high "lineout jumping" stats) to steal a throw in, or else snuffle up a poorly directed throw in.

I like that idea NZL fan, here's how I'd have it for higher difficulties

This would be the number selection and placement of jumpers.

On higher difficulties, once the game determines that you're not going to have a quick lineout (either the ball bounces to far away or more than 5 seconds pass) a small menu on the bottom would come up. The first mini menu to pop up could have 4 different amounts of players (eg Triangle=plays with three or less, Square plays with 4-5, Circle plays with 6-7) and then the next mini-menu could have the different plays.

So if you selected 6-7....
X could be assigned to a lineout that has 2 and 5 (being the number of how far in they are) as options for jumping. It would have 6 men in the lineout.
Triangle could be assigned to a lineout that has 1 (the guy right at front, so you can try the move where he passes back to the hooker), 3 and 6 as options jumping/contesting. It would have 7 men in the lineout (full).
etc etc.

Plays could be edited in the game menus (or in the in-game options, however this would **** me off if we were playing two player and someone wanted to edit their plays...), and for seasons if you don't change your plays the AI would recognise your plays and have a greater chance of stealing the ball. However if you don't practice your play you'll have greater chance of screwing it up.

After you've selected the targets, NZL fan's idea takes over.

This would give a lot of variety I think, but on lower difficulties you could just play NZL Fan's way from the start. Or if you wanted to play on a harder difficulty, just have an option to have simple lineouts.

So you're probably not still reading, but this is how it would work:
Ball goes out
Quick lineout not taken
Mini menu 1 comes up on the bottom: Circle=4-5 players
Mini menu 2 come up on the bottom: Triangle=Targets are 1.3.4
Target 1=Square, Target 3=X, Target 4=Circle.
Follow NZL fans idea from here...

Leinster only use Lansdowne Rd. sometimes (for the H.E.C.). Their 'proper' home ground is Donnybrook. I was playing Rugby 2004 yesterday and the lineout and scrum system is the best I've ever seen in a rugby game. The other thing I really liked was the option just to keep hammering away with the forwards if you wanted to which is basically impossible in WCR. Of all things to change (and overcomplicate by the looks of some of these posts) in Rugby 2005 the lineouts would be one of the last I'd go for.

Originally posted by el_tk@Jan 2 2005, 10:26 AM
Leinster only use Lansdowne Rd. sometimes (for the H.E.C.). Their 'proper' home ground is Donnybrook. I was playing Rugby 2004 yesterday and the lineout and scrum system is the best I've ever seen in a rugby game. The other thing I really liked was the option just to keep hammering away with the forwards if you wanted to which is basically impossible in WCR. Of all things to change (and overcomplicate by the looks of some of these posts) in Rugby 2005 the lineouts would be one of the last I'd go for.
I don't know.

I was playing Rugby 2004 last night (by accident) and I equate playing this game to pushing a boulder.

Up hill.

In the snow.

Sorry, enough bashing. You're right on account of having the choice to ram it up with the forwards. The scrum and lineouts are technically great but lack a certain fluidity -- which hopefully they will rectify.

I am looking forward to Rugby 2005 (cause I'm a sucker for rugby games) but I can't afford any more kleenex to wipe the snot and tears I spilled on last years incarnation.

I know most of it is crap (pure crap at that) but I am unsure about this 'fluidity' of yours. How do you make a scrum more fluid?

Originally posted by el_tk@Jan 5 2005, 08:25 AM
I know most of it is crap (pure crap at that) but I am unsure about this 'fluidity' of yours. How do you make a scrum more fluid?
I took his statement as meaning that the scrums/lineouts in rugby 2004 almost felt "detached" from the rest of the game, rather then a component of restarting the game.

Especially as their appeared to have been some work put into how the set pieces functioned, then when you actually won possession that part of the game (the most important part) was crap..........

If they could concentrate on improving the actual play (defending/attacking) in the game, I'd settle for more basic lineouts/scrums (as I outlined in a previous post in this thread).

it would be cool to hav the control rumble hard out in the scrums and mauls..that would add a good feel to the scrums and mauls

Originally posted by captainamerica@Jan 5 2005, 06:25 AM
I don't know.

I was playing Rugby 2004 last night (by accident) and I equate playing this game to pushing a boulder.

Up hill.

In the snow.

Sorry, enough bashing. You're right on account of having the choice to ram it up with the forwards. The scrum and lineouts are technically great but lack a certain fluidity -- which hopefully they will rectify.

I am looking forward to Rugby 2005 (cause I'm a sucker for rugby games) but I can't afford any more kleenex to wipe the snot and tears I spilled on last years incarnation.
You have the best posts on this forum. Not saying that was your best, but it made me laugh.

"I was playing Rugby 2004 last night (by accident)"

Originally posted by NZL fan+Jan 5 2005, 09:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Jan 5 2005, 09:09 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-el_tk
@Jan 5 2005, 08:25 AM
I took his statement as meaning that the scrums/lineouts in rugby 2004 almost felt "detached" from the rest of the game, rather then a component of restarting the game.

Especially as their appeared to have been some work put into how the set pieces functioned, then when you actually won possession that part of the game (the most important part) was crap..........

If they could concentrate on improving the actual play (defending/attacking) in the game, I'd settle for more basic lineouts/scrums (as I outlined in a previous post in this thread). [/b]
JJ, cheers for the comment. And it was by accident -- I was drunk the night before and wanted to give it another chance so I put it in but never played it. Then the next day, I wanted to play some college football and forgot I'd put Rugby 2004 in. I couldn't be bothered to change the games so I gave it a go. 10 seconds later...

El tk, NZL fan hit it on the head. He expounded much better than I did too. Getting into scrums and lineouts seemed to completely jar with everything else. For me, there was entirely too much pageantry (unnecessary build-up shots -- here comes the scrum!--).

I appreciated the choices they offered, but it grinded things to a halt. This isn't the NFL where playmaking decisions can be contemplated for half an hour (exaggeration, but still). It should be more off-the-cuff.

I think there are easier ways to have these options (set-plays from scrums and lineouts), mainly using a Madden-style audible system, where the scrum/lineout forms, and you've got maybe 5 seconds or so to initiate a button sequence before feeding/throwing the ball in.

College Football eh? Is that NCAA 2005 by EA by any chance? Ive been thinking of importing it but not sure... what do you think 'aptain

Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 6 2005, 01:36 PM
College Football eh? Is that NCAA 2005 by EA by any chance? Ive been thinking of importing it but not sure... what do you think 'aptain
Even better: NCAA Football 2004

10 bucks, pre-owned.

But yeah, if you enjoy gridiron games, college ball is damn good fun. Loads of teams (100+), all the collegiate bowls, national rankings, plus recruiting from highschools. It's crazy. I'm loving it.

Plus, I think 2005 has create your own fans as well as create your own players, schools etc.

College Football is great. Incidentally, well done USC last night.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Jan 6 2005, 01:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Jan 6 2005, 01:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jan 6 2005, 01:36 PM
Even better: NCAA Football 2004

10 bucks, pre-owned.

But yeah, if you enjoy gridiron games, college ball is damn good fun. Loads of teams (100+), all the collegiate bowls, national rankings, plus recruiting from highschools. It's crazy. I'm loving it.

Plus, I think 2005 has create your own fans as well as create your own players, schools etc.

College Football is great. Incidentally, well done USC last night. [/b]
watched the orange bowl myself

some damn fine players will be in madden soon

bring em on, for my franchise

Hopefully Matt Lienhart will wait another year before going Pro or else he'll just end up rotting at the 49ers.

Adrian Peterson is the player who looks like having the brightest future from the USC and Oklahmoa teams, although you couldnt tell by the way the USC Defence was smashing him up

Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 7 2005, 05:40 PM
Hopefully Matt Lienhart will wait another year before going Pro or else he'll just end up rotting at the 49ers.

Adrian Peterson is the player who looks like having the brightest future from the USC and Oklahmoa teams, although you couldnt tell by the way the USC Defence was smashing him up
True. Leinhart should stay. Peterson - still can't believe he was a true freshman and put up those stats this year. I was goofing around on EA's website and they had last years promising sports talents for all the sports (obviously U.S. based) and they got his high-school stuff up there. Unreal.

If he plays all 4 years, and he seems humble enough to do it, the future looks pretty interesting as he'll only get better.

But back to topic, well, not really, Ripper, I can't recommend NCAA football enough. It's damn good fun.

Latest posts