• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Perfect World Cup Scenario.

We don't come 4th in the group
No one dies
Gatland gets the sack.

What have you got against Gats ?
The best coach we've had since John Dawes.

I appreciate what he's done with Wales.
The most important thing he's done is fully professionalise whole environment.
I just think he's reached his limit of usefulness.
I'd like to see Wales play under a new younger coach who wants to experiment with the way we play.

We do ok but lose in the semis because we dont have a creative back line player on the bench to change the game in our favour, we only have Sam Burgess who goes back to Bath and becomes a formidable 6, who in 4 years time (now he knows what hes doing and is playing in the correct position) leads England to world cup victory with a team made up of all the young talent we talk about on here all the time.

SL tells everyone he knew Burgess was great....from the studio as hes now a pundit.

... Simple, the All Blacks to win their first ***le outside of NZ, and become the first side to defend their ***le along the way I guess playing England in the final would be the best scenario from the tournaments perspective.
as a welshman even I admit this is the most feesable and realistic outcome but I say this is 60-90% possible. but anything can happen. for me the perfect outcome would be Namibia and Uruguay at the final defining the odds and forcing Sanzar to include them in the Rugby Championship after the most historical RWC final with Jacques Burger lifting the trophy. Ok TRF folks don't choke on your food it's a far fetched outcome haha My personal scenario would be Wales getting out of the Pool A and I dare say get to the semi finals and take it from there basically. Something tells me RWC 2015 is going to be historical, I just have a gut feeling and no idea why.

Actually a Japan v USA/Canada semi final would be pretty amazing from the tournaments/growth of rugby perspective.

Yeah be nice for a tier 2 (think World Rugby reorganised them differently now) to do something spectacular. Makes me wonder what Tier 2 sides will be Tier 1 next but that a debate for a different topicl

Ok, perfect World Cup Scenario, which would make for some interesting times in the 6 weeks ahead.....

Pool A: England top the Pool and beat the Aussies by 20 points at Twickenham; Wales and Australia play out to a 30 all draw, with Israel Folau scoring the equalizer in the corner after the final hooter to tie up the game and send Australia through on points difference, thanks to a 90 point mauling of Uruguay earlier in the Pool stages.

Pool B: All does not go according to plan; South Africa still tops the pool, but not after Samoa gives them the scare of their lives, and the Boks have to edge out an ugly one point win. The big surprise is however Japan, where all of Eddie Jones' pre-world cup talk of Japan targeting the quarter becoming a reality as they edge out nailbiting wins against both Scotland and Samoa to shock the world and finish as group runner-ups.

Pool C: New Zealand dominate, and put on at least 40 points against all their opponents (including Argentina). Tonga causes their second big upset at a World Cup in a row, by beating the Pumas. The Pumas however go through as pool runners-up thanks to a bonus point in the Tonga game, as well as Tonga losing to Georgia in their opener.

Pool D: All goes according to plan, very boring, with Ireland beating France comfortably to top the pool

Quarter Finals: In the first quarter final, South Africa get revenge for 2011, as they beat Australia by 6 points, helped along by a Bryan Habana intercept 5 minutes from full time. Australia return home with only 2 wins, their worst showing since 1995 at a World Cup, but Michael Cheika is given another 4 years to rectify all the errors. New Zealand and France return to Cardiff for a Quarter Final, with the whole world watching in anticipation to see if the French can't cause another upset. New Zealand have other plans, and put 40 + on the scoreboard compared to a solitary French score. England walk over Japan to reach the semis, while Ireland go into their quarter as favourites, yet Augustin Creevy scrums them to pieces and the match ends a dull 9-6 to Argentina.

Semi Finals: South Africa score 3 first half tries (Including solo efforts by both Willie le Roux and Jessie Kriel) and hold on in the second to beat the All Blacks and move on to the Final. By this stage belief of winning the World Cup would be high in England, and they take a 15 point lead into half time against Argentina. Yet a second half intercept try, combined with another big scrumming performance and a string of penalties sees England bow out to Argentina.

Final: The whole world at this stage would be routing for a third massive Argentine performance, with memories of Durban 2015 still fresh in the minds of both teams. At half time it seems as if we are all in for a major shock, with Argentina leading 7-6 (Imhoff of course scores early on in the corner again) the experienced men like Jean de Villiers, Victor Matfield and Fourie du Preez however come out in the second half and justify their selections as the Boks end up 30-7 winners and World Champs for a third time.

Well that's just my scenario.....

It's 18-17 to Australia in the final. 78th minute. England are trucking up the middle to get in a good position for the drop goal. Farrell, freshly prepared (came on in the 74th minute), gets into position. The stage is set for Farrell to become the second coming of Wilkinson that everybody talks about. The position is set. 15m out, couldn't get more central. Youngs whips a beauty pass back to Farrell. Farrell connects well. The crowd get on their feet, ready to lose themselves in the heat of sports passion. It comes off the woodwork! An audible sigh erupts through Twickenham. Giteau collects and blasts it 40 meters.

Up steps Jonny May. He collects it in the air with ease. He slices past 6 defenders, meets Ashley-Cooper at the try line, offloads to Morgan, Morgan flattens Skelton into last Sunday. Touches down. Twickenham explodes. GG Australia.

Pocock admires the raw ability of the Glos players and signs on reduced wages since "something special is happening".

Last edited:
I appreciate what he's done with Wales.
The most important thing he's done is fully professionalise whole environment.
I just think he's reached his limit of usefulness.
I'd like to see Wales play under a new younger coach who wants to experiment with the way we play.

Would you change your opinion if we do well in this WC ?

Would you change your opinion if we do well in this WC ?

No, not really.

Even if we won the thing I think maybe Gats should do a Graham Henry and bow out at his peak.
I get the distinct feeling that Gatland really wants to be back in New Zeland anyway.
From the way he selects fringe players I think he watches little regional rugby.
The Wales job is lucrative and I'm sure he quite enjoys his job in the main, but I feel he'd rather be back there with his family with a chance, however slim, of coaching the All Blacks.

We could get a decent head coach considering the talent and potential in the group of players we have.

All Blacks to become the first side to win the Cup twice in a row.. after a nail biting finish with Springboks :)

No major surprises from others except Wales and Fiji to progress to quarters with England becoming the first host nation to fail at group stage! :D

And yes, i really hope Japan progress too!

Ok, perfect World Cup Scenario, which would make for some interesting times in the 6 weeks ahead.....

Pool A: England top the Pool and beat the Aussies by 20 points at Twickenham; Wales and Australia play out to a 30 all draw, with Israel Folau scoring the equalizer in the corner after the final hooter to tie up the game and send Australia through on points difference, thanks to a 90 point mauling of Uruguay earlier in the Pool stages.

Pool B: All does not go according to plan; South Africa still tops the pool, but not after Samoa gives them the scare of their lives, and the Boks have to edge out an ugly one point win. The big surprise is however Japan, where all of Eddie Jones' pre-world cup talk of Japan targeting the quarter becoming a reality as they edge out nailbiting wins against both Scotland and Samoa to shock the world and finish as group runner-ups.

Pool C: New Zealand dominate, and put on at least 40 points against all their opponents (including Argentina). Tonga causes their second big upset at a World Cup in a row, by beating the Pumas. The Pumas however go through as pool runners-up thanks to a bonus point in the Tonga game, as well as Tonga losing to Georgia in their opener.

Pool D: All goes according to plan, very boring, with Ireland beating France comfortably to top the pool

Quarter Finals: In the first quarter final, South Africa get revenge for 2011, as they beat Australia by 6 points, helped along by a Bryan Habana intercept 5 minutes from full time. Australia return home with only 2 wins, their worst showing since 1995 at a World Cup, but Michael Cheika is given another 4 years to rectify all the errors. New Zealand and France return to Cardiff for a Quarter Final, with the whole world watching in anticipation to see if the French can't cause another upset. New Zealand have other plans, and put 40 + on the scoreboard compared to a solitary French score. England walk over Japan to reach the semis, while Ireland go into their quarter as favourites, yet Augustin Creevy scrums them to pieces and the match ends a dull 9-6 to Argentina.

Semi Finals: South Africa score 3 first half tries (Including solo efforts by both Willie le Roux and Jessie Kriel) and hold on in the second to beat the All Blacks and move on to the Final. By this stage belief of winning the World Cup would be high in England, and they take a 15 point lead into half time against Argentina. Yet a second half intercept try, combined with another big scrumming performance and a string of penalties sees England bow out to Argentina.

Final: The whole world at this stage would be routing for a third massive Argentine performance, with memories of Durban 2015 still fresh in the minds of both teams. At half time it seems as if we are all in for a major shock, with Argentina leading 7-6 (Imhoff of course scores early on in the corner again) the experienced men like Jean de Villiers, Victor Matfield and Fourie du Preez however come out in the second half and justify their selections as the Boks end up 30-7 winners and World Champs for a third time.

Well that's just my scenario.....

World cup history shows that France will cause at least 1 upset... so I reckon they finish top of their pool and beat the Agies in the quarters. So does that mean we get to the finals now?

Best case scenario for me would be the 1st all northern hemisphere final. Hopefully between England vs France. In a perfect world France would win but really I'd be happy either way.
In plausible reality tho, I would like anyone to win apart from new Zealand.

They reduce the competition to eight teams and it is all over in three rounds so we can get back to club games!!

Best case scenario for me would be the 1st all northern hemisphere final. Hopefully between England vs France. In a perfect world France would win but really I'd be happy either way.
In plausible reality tho, I would like anyone to win apart from new Zealand.

An England v France final would indeed be perfect! My local bar would be overflowing and would probably run out of beer and we'd be gloating for weeks and weeks!!

France to lose against Romania and Ireland in the pool stages, to face and defeat the All-Blacks in quarters, then progress to the final and lose the ***le to England in a closed and boring game.
We get to be magnificient losers and then go on a delightful four-year long identity crisis.

France to lose against Romania and Ireland in the pool stages, to face and defeat the All-Blacks in quarters, then progress to the final and lose the ***le to England in a closed and boring game.
We get to be magnificient losers and then go on a delightful four-year long identity crisis.

Sounds familiar...

Australia vs New Zealand Final

Argentina vs South Africa Third Place

The results:

1 Australia
2 New Zealand
3 Argentina
4 South Africa

The South Hemisphere Rules!

Latest posts