• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

This is really weird
Oh this is going to go well.....

Lets start with the start fact your an engineer for a huge multi-national social media platform that 'works'. Like twitter has its issues but for the most part it works and probably the complex sides of AI algorithms for detecting what the business decide is malicious are alaways actively being worked on and improved. The guys being malicious are always evolving and adapting that the nature of the beast. Your going to ****** off if anyone comes in and tell you how to do your job better.

So Musk is going to get the guys who write an embedded platform for a controlling a car to come in tell you what to do. So not only are they going to tell you what to do they have no clue how your stuff actually works.

What is is about high up business types who think all software engineering is exactly the same......wait sorry Musk a brilliant engineer.....supposedly.

I'm not going to repeat myself to the baseless strawman arguments about Musk being a great engineer. Unless you can provide a single post in this entire forum that claims that.

That's a rather... combative way to agree with someone

I'm not a fan of misinformation and a failure to back up baseless claims, particularly when it is repeated behaviour. This was my previous concluding post the last time this came up. 5 months ago and still waiting any evidence.

No. I am saying that when a man has four innovative solutions as confirmed achievements under his belt and is clearly involved in the creative process around them having been involved from the outset, then we can call him 'incredibly creative'. To change my mind I'd need to see links evidencing he hasn't been involved in the creative process in his own companies.

There is an abundance of people that read and watch very little about Musk and like to make statements about him. Did anyone critical about Musk even watch the 3 part documentary? It had people who worked for him. They all had left the organisations. Some after Musk had gone off the handle, some because they'd been burnt out through stupidly high demands and workload placed on them. They all agreed Musk was an exceptional intelligence and this included a previous head rocket scientist who was extremely surprised by how quickly Musk grasped the theory and practice of rocket science.

But we've got many people who think Musk is just a guy who got lucky from PayPal and has no creative input in his companies, contrary to all evidence presented by colleagues from said companies.

It doesn't mean Musk isn't an arse with severe character issues that are getting progressively worse as success, fame and wealth goes to his head. But let's acknowledge there are positive attributes to.

Did you ever think that... No-one really cares?

I certainly don't, but then, I don't think that he's either a Tony Stark Genius engineer, not a "guy who just got lucky".

As for"But let's acknowledge there are positive attributes to[o]" let's use you own challenge for relevance can you " provide a single post in this entire forum that claims that."
From what I can see (as someone who doesn't really give a damn) - you're indulging in more hyperbole about Musk than anyone else here.
Accusing others of strawmen is your very own strawman

There's a difference between being able to understand concepts in conversation with others and actually being a top level software engineer (which is my argument against him: that his followers act like he's one of the top coders in the business)
This article is basically bending over for elon and even they say his life's work as an engineer was easily rewritten and refactored by interns
He's been out of the coding game for so long he'll make as much sense of twitter's codebase as my nan would

Even the top dogs at Tesla are going to struggle with Twitter's codebase for months - code isn't just code, it's wildly different languages and concepts from usage to usage
There's a ton of controversy in the front end world atm because of react and vercel basically being bed together but it boils down to Meta's core codebase being so complicated the onboarding process takes literally months and vercel are the only ones who can spare the staff to work into it at any significant level.

I bet the Tesla engineers were ******* themselves when Musk sent them a repo on a Friday and asked for a detailed explanation of the ranking algorithms on the Monday - they'll still be struggling with the environment variables by then

Last edited:
Accusing others of strawmen is your very own strawman
Not really accusing anyone on this forum just the cult of Musk in general and reactions tonthe news. This is like a secondary thing for myself and I guess Olyy for it being actual jobs. No diffrent to you getting angry about poor medical care in sports. I woupdnt worry too much about it. Come from a past of having all these kind of situations playnout in professional life. Especially people with money who once coded a billion years ago in a completely diffrent space come in and tell you how to do your job.

EDIT: Apologies the forum decided I didnt need to see Bruce's posts.
There's a difference between being able to understand concepts in conversation with others and actually being a top level software engineer (which is my argument against him: that his followers act like he's one of the top coders in the business)
This article is basically bending over for elon and even they say his life's work as an engineer was easily rewritten and refactored by interns
He's been out of the coding game for so long he'll make as much sense of twitter's codebase as my nan would

Even the top dogs at Tesla are going to struggle with Twitter's codebase for months - code isn't just code, it's wildly different languages and concepts from usage to usage
There's a ton of controversy in the front end world atm because of react and vercel basically being bed together but it boils down to Meta's core codebase being so complicated the onboarding process takes literally months and vercel are the only ones who can spare the staff to work into it at any significant level.

I bet the Tesla engineers were ******* themselves when Musk sent them a repo on a Friday and asked for a detailed explanation of the ranking algorithms on the Monday - they'll still be struggling with the environment variables by then
It's really a case of where the Tesla starting point is. They're used to writing firmware for cars once assumes that gonna be good old C++ or even C apart the absolute front end. Web tech is completely diffrent I once did web dev 16 years ago which probably less further back than Musk when he actually did stuff for PayPal. Its a completely diffren ballgame now and probably the most rapidly developing area in terms of technology.

Yeah Tesla engineers won't be happy either impossible deadline and they know all they'd meet is hostility.

This is kinda of my point as well. There's nothing wrong with him being an incredibly smart guy who understands and grasp high level concepts and make decisions. Its literally what senior managers in organisations are paid to do otherwise your get a Liz Truss. Let's laud him for what he is actually good and let's not make up that he's brilliant engineer and laud those under him that do that work.

In other words let's actually look and understand how an engineering business actually works.

Lol

The stories from fired staff are nuts - people finding out they've been fired when they turn up and their keycards don't work on the door to the office, people finding out they've been fired when they're suddenly logged out of their work laptop etc

Saw someone banned Musk on their way out earlier, only lasted 15mins but still funny

Lol

The stories from fired staff are nuts - people finding out they've been fired when they turn up and their keycards don't work on the door to the office, people finding out they've been fired when they're suddenly logged out of their work laptop etc

Saw someone banned Musk on their way out earlier, only lasted 15mins but still funny

Plus apparently California law requires at least 60 days notice before firing someone and a class action lawsuit against Twitter has been started. If it succeeds (it looks like a slam dunk case, Twitter have no defence), then Twitter have to pay all their wages this time plus more on top. Really not sure how he thinks he can keep it functioning with mass layoffs either, companies don't tend to make a habit of hiring vastly more people than they feel they need.

Musk feels like he is going the same way as Kanye West, something seems wrong with him (beyond his autism) and it's like he's losing the plot. Also find it pretty funny that, after years of the right wing saying "if you don't like them, don't use their business", largely after the gay wedding cake incident, they are now whinging when people do exactly that. Long gone are the days of appeals to the good nature of a company, now it's just a case of hitting their profits and it works. As with most things, the thing the right wing are whinging about now is of their own making. "Cancel culture" is simply people using their refusal to pay for goods or services from companies and individuals they disagree with, exactly as the right wing said people should protest these things.

If Musk is worried about people and advertisers leaving, rather than whinging about it maybe he should ask himself why.

Plus apparently California law requires at least 60 days notice before firing someone and a class action lawsuit against Twitter has been started. If it succeeds (it looks like a slam dunk case, Twitter have no defence), then Twitter have to pay all their wages this time plus more on top.
Yeah it seems like elon and his cronies thought the whole world was like the "at-will employment" states, I've seen people from the London and Dublin offices started to band together for lawsuits too as they're supposed to have gotten 30 days notice

Also seen people on (p/m)aternity leave get fired despite being top performers in their departments so are going to file discrimination suits

If he wanted to kill twitter as an entity he should have just hit the off button on day one and said the $44bn debt has bankrupted the place, rather than this death by lawsuit approach he's taking

California only requires notice if you are laying off more than 50 people or you are relocating people. It has to do with plant relocations not with firing employees.
California is an at-will state so unless he fired people with contracts he won't have issues.

Not gonna lie I kinda wanna see twitter die, I think it will be good for the world. We'll just need to find a new way to embed press releases and lineups.

for him to have violated federal law he will have to have terminated 33% or more of the employees at the site

Lots of claims doing the rounds that he's in violation of both state and federal law, as well as laws in other locales where others within the 3,700 are employed. Time will tell I guess.

One of the funnier things I've seen today is the blue tick account that now has the same name, profile pic and bio as Musk (@ChrisWarcraft).

California only requires notice if you are laying off more than 50 people or you are relocating people. It has to do with plant relocations not with firing employees.
I've seen one employee confirm that they've started legal proceedings (with a number of others) under the WARN act

There's claims that theyre laying off up to 50% of current twitter staff globally so imagine they've hit that number in Cali as that's their biggest office

Latest posts