• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

Have to say some of this is gas. The amount of people with sheer confidence to how software engineering work and saying Daddy Musk knows what he's doing.

He's literally firing people apparently on a metric like Lines of Code written. Anyone who cares about that metric either large or small doesn't know what the **** they are doing. Code quality has **** all to do with how little or how much you write of it.

It's a complete bin fire.

In all seriousness this pretty bad for the distribution of news. The blue tick system was a great way of following journalists or experts that covered a particular interest.

It usually meant for their reputation if they shared something it was from a source they trusted. It made stuff almost near instaneous to know something was happening. For example in 2005 during the July 7th Bombings it was impossible for hours to get a clear picture of what happened in London. As there was 24 hour news but no way to real distribute live copy. Twitter pretty much changed all that. Journalists could easiallynrepeat what others had found out and news gets out a lot quicker.

It also protected people from scammers pretending to be a celebrity.

This model essentially breaks all that and its all because Musk paid way over price as a joke then realised legally he couldn't get out of it. The debt is offset against Tesla. I'm not kidding when saying he could essentially bankrupt his companies over this.

11k job losses is crazy - I thought it was going to say that's how many employees they have total!

I follow quite a few meta employees on social media, be interesting to see if any of those get the chop (mostly from the React core team - which is important work but does it bring in money for FB? they're essentially open source contributors with a paycheque)

Even the top dogs at Tesla are going to struggle with Twitter's codebase for months - code isn't just code, it's wildly different languages and concepts from usage to usage
There's a ton of controversy in the front end world atm because of react and vercel basically being bed together but it boils down to Meta's core codebase being so complicated the onboarding process takes literally months and vercel are the only ones who can spare the staff to work into it at any significant level.
Ah but sure all the documentation will explain everything 🤣🤣🤣

He's literally firing people apparently on a metric like Lines of Code written. Anyone who cares about that metric either large or small doesn't know what the **** they are doing. Code quality has **** all to do with how little or how much you write of it.
#SaveTheForLoop

[we'll not even mention vectorized code... doesn't rhythm as well anyway!]

Ah but sure all the documentation will explain everything 🤣🤣🤣
There is some philsophy talk recently about where the code itself is documentation the only thing you need to produce extensive documentation for is external interfaces and how they work. I see some merit in that I've extensively designed stuff as a starting point in the past and that's a great starting block but reality is that design has had to be modified a huge amount when reality hit it, in the embedded world sometimes chips don't work how you read them to and scope creep is always a thing. Getting access to code with documented external interfaces always helps way more than any design document.

Plus the cost of updating documentation is probably not a huge differential to the the onboarding process.

To paraphase David Fincher "Software isn't finished its abandoned"

Apparently Yoel Roth was essentially the only person at twitter Elon trusted/respected, and was one of Elon's main/only cheerleaders within twitter
So he's flying completely blind now

Announcing full-time in office on zero days notice (negative days notice in Europe seeing as he doesn't understand time zones) is another wild move - especially as contracts for the last two years have had the option of full time WFH written in so he's no breaking hundreds of contracts
More lawsuits ahoy!

Apparently Yoel Roth was essentially the only person at twitter Elon trusted/respected, and was one of Elon's main/only cheerleaders within twitter
So he's flying completely blind now

Announcing full-time in office on zero days notice (negative days notice in Europe seeing as he doesn't understand time zones) is another wild move - especially as contracts for the last two years have had the option of full time WFH written in so he's no breaking hundreds of contracts
More lawsuits ahoy!
Be nice if he understood employment law a little as well.

Like whats going on at Tesla and SpaceX? I haven't seen a single job advert since the pandemic hit that wasn't offering some kind of WFH/Office split.

God of War Ragnarok - I've enjoyed it so far and had some great moments but I think the first of this duology is better. Its also been a little frustrating in visual design the first had areas early on that visually wowed me early on in the game. This hasn't and its taken to getting to
Vanaheim & Jotunheim
to get visually interesting areas which is some 10-15 hours in (I think), its also taken that long for plot to really start moving beyond a GoW (2018) retread.

God of War Ragnarok - I've enjoyed it so far and had some great moments but I think the first of this duology is better. Its also been a little frustrating in visual design the first had areas early on that visually wowed me early on in the game. This hasn't and its taken to getting to
Vanaheim & Jotunheim
to get visually interesting areas which is some 10-15 hours in (I think), its also taken that long for plot to really start moving beyond a GoW (2018) retread.
In terms of fan noise have you noticed PS5 kicking off?

In terms of fan noise have you noticed PS5 kicking off?
Nope not in performance mode it wasn't happy about resolution mode but the frame rate was shocking.

I genuinely couldn't tell you difference graphically between it and the PS4 2018 game.

Nope not in performance mode it wasn't happy about resolution mode but the frame rate was shocking.

I genuinely couldn't tell you difference graphically between it and the PS4 2018 game.
Cheers. I still have my PS4. I know it's gonna start absolutely screaming playing this game, but if I have the headphones on won't notice it as much.

Latest posts