• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

The law is quite hazy here in my limited googled understanding. It seems flying it low over private property could be deemed trespass. I guess the question is what is deemed a legal response to drone trespass and what is deemed "low"...

Also staggering the number of people who fire guns into the sky forgetting that what goes up comes down. A bullet falling back to ground won't do the damage of one fired from a gun but I believe they are still capable of causing injury or damage.
From what I've read people regularly die from falling bullets. I think it was in the Philippines where it's traditional to shoot guns in the air to celebrate an election and every time a number of people die from falling bullets.

The law is quite hazy here in my limited googled understanding. It seems flying it low over private property could be deemed trespass.
Not sure how it is trespassing as the airspace above properties don't belong to the owners of the land.

Deemed Invasion of his privacy. Yes.
I guess the question is what is deemed a legal response to drone trespass and what is deemed "low"...
Yes, certainly not shooting at it. Force the drone owner to delete their footage - doubt that would work and would require a court order.
Also staggering the number of people who fire guns into the sky forgetting that what goes up comes down. A bullet falling back to ground won't do the damage of one fired from a gun but I believe they are still capable of causing injury or damage.
😝

Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator GIF by Filmin

Could this be one of the reasons to fear AI?
Pretty scary stuff.

The AI technology behind this must need a reasonable amount of data - voice recordings of the person it's mimicking - to build a realistic immitation though. In that acticle the mother suggests that it perfectly mimmicked the 'way her daughter would cry', to do that I must assume there must be voice recordings online of her daugher crying on youtube, tictoc etc.

I think this just highlights how important it is to control the amount of information you share online, especially those at risk groups. That's always been the case of course with things like address, age, bank details etc, but now we need to be careful with other types of info too, such as our/our children's voice data!

Pretty scary stuff.

The AI technology behind this must need a reasonable amount of data - voice recordings of the person it's mimicking - to build a realistic immitation though. In that acticle the mother suggests that it perfectly mimmicked the 'way her daughter would cry', to do that I must assume there must be voice recordings online of her daugher crying on youtube, tictoc etc.

I think this just highlights how important it is to control the amount of information you share online, especially those at risk groups. That's always been the case of course with things like address, age, bank details etc, but now we need to be careful with other types of info too, such as our/our children's voice data!
My daughter is 2 and the only content online outside of What'sApp is a few videos online from her nursery (which we have asked to have her edited out of). In this day and age I have no idea why you would want to spread pictures and videos of your child all over the net.

My daughter is 2 and the only content online outside of What'sApp is a few videos online from her nursery (which we have asked to have her edited out of). In this day and age I have no idea why you would want to spread pictures and videos of your child all over the net.
Yeah, we limit what's shared of our children. We accept there's a few images/videos on the school twitter feed, but we don't share their lives online like some do.

My son is 9 now, and of course loves his computer games, but we've been very careful here about what he plays and how they're set up. He's a fan of RoBlox (can't understand why), but it's at least got a lot of parental controls to prevent things like voice/text chat, set age limit on the games etc.

All the new consoles + windows have a good set of parental controls available now, so imo there's no excuse now. However, I know a lot of his friends are allowed to play what they want and interact with others online without much control or supervision (we also only allow our son access to the pc/switch in our living room where we can passively supervise).

We'll be at the mobile phone stage soon, which is a worry. Some of his friends already have them, but we're holding out until he's secondary school age at least...

Last edited:
Yeh I heard it from Martin Lewis who was saying on his the BBC online podcast about in America cases of fraudsters using AI to copy adults voices and then using them to call their vulnerable elderly parents/grandparents to scam them.

Problem is how do you regulate it? Internet has been around 40 years and they can't police it properly. AI is a whole other level, but I can't see much stopping rogue states and criminals exploiting it.

On this topic did anyone watch The Capture? The idea that footage could be faked to convict people is very scary.

Regulating AI definitely is an ethical one. It's going to become mainstream so I suppose this is the time to decide how.

I am still getting so many cold calls from someone or some firm leaving automated messages on my mobile about diesel emissions without any recourse to stop the calls and get to remove my number under GDPR/Data protection. Reports to the ICO have proved futile as has registering as ex-directory.

Right now not picking up any number beginning with 0843/0844/0845 just blocking each time and deleting messages left. But with AI I suspect it'll get worse. And in time I'll just have to change my number.

Regulating AI definitely is an ethical one. It's going to become mainstream so I suppose this is the time to decide how.

I am still getting so many cold calls from someone or some firm leaving automated messages on my mobile about diesel emissions without any recourse to stop the calls and get to remove my number under GDPR/Data protection. Reports to the ICO have proved futile as has registering as ex-directory.

Right now not picking up any number beginning with 0843/0844/0845 just blocking each time and deleting messages left. But with AI I suspect it'll get worse. And in time I'll just have to change my number.
I had one point where I was getting calls from an indian scam where I almost got caught out, they didn't get my bank details but got my phone number. For about 3 weeks I was getting approximately 30-40 calls a day with a mix of scams and abuse. I had to report it to the police and they said there is little they can do if the calls are coming out of India other than to pass it on to the Indian authorities. Suffice to say, little is done because the Indian authorities really don't give a **** if they are the scammer capitol of the world as long as it's foreigners being scammed.

I had one point where I was getting calls from an indian scam where I almost got caught out, they didn't get my bank details but got my phone number. For about 3 weeks I was getting approximately 30-40 calls a day with a mix of scams and abuse. I had to report it to the police and they said there is little they can do if the calls are coming out of India other than to pass it on to the Indian authorities. Suffice to say, little is done because the Indian authorities really don't give a **** if they are the scammer capitol of the world as long as it's foreigners being scammed.
Yeh I also suspect the calls I am getting are coming from overseas and they are just routing through via the UK numbers, which is why the ICO can't do and won't do anything.

It does surprise me that you can buy these in the high street and the signs informing that they're illegal to use in most places is in the tiniest print.

Latest posts