• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

However, if AI did something contradictory to it's programming then that would be truly worrying.
Just impossible, ultimately all programming languages boils down to processor instructions which in turn boils down to electronic circuits. The you have to break the laws of physics for something to like that to happen.

No computer program no matter how sophisticated can do things it isn't written to do. Doesn't mean when your working on a million lines of code like i have it doesn't do unforseen things and isn't full of loads of contradictions.

Just impossible, ultimately all programming languages boils down to processor instructions which in turn boils down to electronic circuits. The you have to break the laws of physics for something to like that to happen.

No computer program no matter how sophisticated can do things it isn't written to do. Doesn't mean when your working on a million lines of code like i have it doesn't do unforseen things and isn't full of loads of contradictions.
Any true AI will of course be able to write and execute its own routines. Current AIs are not there. No doubt in the future, they will be. The question will be what degree of complexity will the routine have?

If its given a task of "parse this JSON file please returning me the values for X, Y and Z keys"; it'll go off and write a simple subroutine to do that then execute it.

If its given a task of "get access to the <insert e-voting system database here> and move X% of votes from this party to that party"; the task is significantly more complex and multi-stage. But nothing would stop it from breaking it down into steps and firing iterative attempts at each step.

The question is whether there would be enough related knowledge available to it to have baselines to generate variants of.

What to do with e-scooters? Apparently they could be classed as a new vehicle (between a car and ebikes) in next month's King's speech. Riders are ignoring the current law anyway, so might as well regulate and legislate them. Definitely get them to wear a helmet, especially on the roads because they will be treated like **** by motorists. My issue is there should be consequences for bad riding and this should really apply to cyclists as well.

No motorised vehicle should be on pavements with the exception of mobility scooters. These things can go fast and I've found the users ignore all rules both for pavements and roads. When I was cycling, a guy on one of these bombing along the pavement decided to swerve off into the road in front of me without looking. Fortunately I was on a pedal bike but had it instead been a car or lorry, he wouldn't have looked and they would have hit him.

I don't want them banned as I think they could be part of future modes of short distance transport, particularly in cities, but I think they need the same rules as pedal bikes.

The thing is the the rules and infrastructure for cycling on pavements are a mess. What about shared cycle paths on pavements/footpaths where they are segregated by white lines and blue signs? Where there are in my town pedestrians often cheat and walk in them and I often have to ring my bell to warn them I am behind them.

Most of these escooters don't have a bell and are pretty silent as well. The riders wear headphones, riding and can reach speeds of 15.5mph and not paying attention hence higher risks of collisions. I would certainly put a speed limit if riding on shared pavements of 10 mph (applicable to cyclists as well. But how to impose it and with consequences? That may well mean speed limiters for escooters to 10 mph.

A lot of tech companies seem to be making a good chunk of staff redundant and bringing in AI it seems. Bit concerning, but we'll see.

A lot of tech companies seem to be making a good chunk of staff redundant and bringing in AI it seems. Bit concerning, but we'll see.
I know confirmation bias is a thing but I've not really seen anything a long these lines except usual staff rotation within business redundancies.

I've read PWC are making 600 job cuts - not because of AI but because they have overstaffed in areas - tax and business advisory.

I've read PWC are making 600 job cuts - not because of AI but because they have overstaffed in areas - tax and business advisory.
Really?? First time I hear about it tbh and wouldn't even think they're overstaffed after some current "experience" with them at my work. Interesting how Deloitte and others in this sphere are doing as well

I know confirmation bias is a thing but I've not really seen anything a long these lines except usual staff rotation within business redundancies.
I won't create a massive post by linking every layoff, but I will say there's been over 6,500+ layoffs in gaming this year alone. Microsoft, Sony, Bungie, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Embracer Group, Motorsport games etc. It's all been covered in the tech news. Yes, tech has always had a high turnover, but never the sheer level we're witnesses this year. It's not all because of AI, but I imagine it's a factor for those studios looking ahead. This also doesn't take in to account how many leave and are not replaced.

Seems to me like the industry is going through a change again.

Last edited:
I think your putting two and two together and getting 20. Huge merger in Microsoft and ABK that will lead to massive layoffs is both businesses. There also pandemic issues still being felt in gaming. Slow down caused by it followed by the acceleration of releases as they were finished off has led to a derth of options going past Q1 of 2024

I know PS5 owners are genuinely questioning what's coming out soon in marquee games once FF7 Rebirth is out. That filters through the entire industry. In turn that teams need to be canned and only invest in projects you think you'll see significant return.

My point is AI investment might be a factor but normal business factors have far more to do with it.

Firms are investing in AI yes but 2-3 years ago it was Crypto. And there's always something I've been through this with automated code tools, cheap labour in foreign countries.

I think your putting two and two together and getting 20. Huge merger in Microsoft and ABK that will lead to massive layoffs is both businesses. There also pandemic issues still being felt in gaming. Slow down caused by it followed by the acceleration of releases as they were finished off has led to a derth of options going past Q1 of 2024

I know PS5 owners are genuinely questioning what's coming out soon in marquee games once FF7 Rebirth is out. That filters through the entire industry. In turn that teams need to be canned and only invest in projects you think you'll see significant return.

My point is AI investment might be a factor but normal business factors have far more to do with it.

Firms are investing in AI yes but 2-3 years ago it was Crypto. And there's always something I've been through this with automated code tools, cheap labour in foreign countries.
I think you might be assuming because Crypto and block chain didn't work this won't. This is a completely different beast to those.

I think you might be assuming because Crypto and block chain didn't work this won't. This is a completely different beast to those.
I think you don't realise I've been in the industry for over 15 years and have seen these kind things to know enough to know when it smells like a dud.

Tech is a "weird" industry you don't know where the next game changer is coming. But honestly when it does it blindsiding with everyone is playing catchup. However that's because they've either

A) They've been working on it for years in secret not letting the competition know what they're up to.

B) It's a disruptive startup that has entered the space and broken it. With a bold fresh idea.

It's bold and it's fast when these things change. And a lot of the actual applications for AI tech have actually been using "AI" for years.

If your reading lots of speculative articles and how it could be a game changer that's the smell to avoid. I have a saying if it smell and looks like Second Life its probably Second Life. And it happens regularly with ideas that require massive explaining to the public what it actually is.

It's an industry that thrives on buzzwords and its why billions gets chucked and trying to find the next big thing. Because when it does happen you want to be there. However if the general public know about it chances are its not the next big thing and just part of standard evolution.

I think you don't realise I've been in the industry for over 15 years and have seen these kind things to know enough to know when it smells like a dud.
Yeah, I'm in the industry too. Blockchain and Nfts etc only got attention because of those outside of it were investing heavily to the point where people were trying to jump on it as "the next best thing". Every damn event I went to with potential investors sniffing around asking every company going "are they using block chains" even when we don't need it. It was ridiculous.

The difference here however is the cooperations see potential for not only advancements in their tech using it, but the ability to save millions in labour costs. There's no way they wouldn't try it.

I'm not saying it will take over the world, but it's definitely going to impact a lot of tedious and mundane jobs.

I'm not saying it will take over the world, but it's definitely going to impact a lot of tedious and mundane jobs.
But computers already do that in a huge way this isn't anything more than a new iteration of automation its no going to be the panacea people think its going to be.

Lets put it this way what the actual application here? what jobs is it going to take?

And more importantly why haven't those jobs gone already from more rudimentary tech.

As I've said, anything that's tedious or mundane will be first. It's not going to happen overnight, but the first step was automation like we've seen in HR within companies - a human only gets involved when a complaint etc is escalated.

We've also seen AI systems integrated into robotics too. We're at the very early stages of this of course and it could be nothing, but I wouldn't write it off or assume this is another block chain.

Last edited:
As I've said, anything that's tedious or mundane will be first. It's not going to happen overnight, but the first step was automation like we've seen in HR within companies - a human only gets involved when a complaint etc is escalated.

We've also seen AI systems integrated into robotics too. We're at the very early stages of this of course and it could be nothing, but I wouldn't write it off or assume this is another block chain.
But again what does AI do in robotics that vastly decrease the cost of production? That robotics doesn't do already with the AI already installed? What can it do extra?

I would think that's obvious. No breaks, no time off, works 24 hours a day etc. They would have a huge advantage over humans in that job. The initial cost for these will be huge and probably under a payment contract, but it would work for businesses easily.

Latest posts