• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

But again what does AI do in robotics that vastly decrease the cost of production? That robotics doesn't do already with the AI already installed? What can it do extra?
Work in non repetitive environments.

Essentially making decisions almost in real time based on real time images.

Eventually you won't need a farmer to drive a tractor. You won't need a miner to mine coal. No doubt there will still be humans in the loop at some point, so I suppose in that regard it's an evolutionary step in automation.

Eventually even not needing workers to harvest fruit/veg - although robotic power supply needs a better solution than existing batteries for that.

Work in non repetitive environments.

Essentially making decisions almost in real time based on real time images.

Eventually you won't need a farmer to drive a tractor. You won't need a miner to mine coal. No doubt there will still be humans in the loop at some point, so I suppose in that regard it's an evolutionary step in automation.

Eventually even not needing workers to harvest fruit/veg - although robotic power supply needs a better solution than existing batteries for that.
But those are robotics issues technical issues not AI ones, seriously the issue isn't AI technology is lagging severely behind the capability of robotics but the other way around. AI could do most those tasks (possibly not mining) long before now.

But those are robotics issues technical issues not AI ones, seriously the issue isn't AI technology is lagging severely behind the capability of robotics but the other way around. AI could do most those tasks (possibly not mining) long before now.

AI can not easily recognise when a piece of fruit is sufficiently ripe, or diseased, or needing a change in diet - as lighting conditions are not similar in the real world.

That does not begin to cover the process of say, removing shoots off plants through the growth process. So there is (i) recognising the shoot [not trivial for a computer, sometimes not trivial for a human!] then (ii) manipulating the plant such that the shoot can be removed without damaging the main plant [often not trivial for a human to detangle, significantly complex for a computer], (iii) cutting the shoot from the main plant and (iv) removing the now detached shoot from the main plant without damaging it [can be different to (ii)].

That is just one example of where AI isn't there, because you'll never be able to make a simple learning model for steps (ii) and (iv) - there are many possible routes to a success and even more possible routes to a failure. The learning model would almost be in a chess environment, except there are no fixed rules for the game or opponent.

I see the claims that drone warfare, autonomous drones etc means that robots are going to replace soldiers.
But I can't see why anyone would want to dip a robot into their boiled egg!

He really needs to just take the loss and walk. It's going to destroy him at this rate.

Sam Altman and Greg Brockman fired from OpenAI.

That is 4 members of a board fire the 2 other members of same board.

This seems to be the underlying reason:

Anyone else live in or near London and have Community Fibre and recommend? Currently with VM but quoted £33pm for 18 months for 132mb/s to stay with them compared to Black Friday deal of £18pm for 24m to go with CF for 150mbps download and upload. Hopefully with inflation coming down price increases won't be as much next two years. But VM just getting greedy now.

Anyone else live in or near London and have Community Fibre and recommend? Currently with VM but quoted £33pm for 18 months for 132mb/s to stay with them compared to Black Friday deal of £18pm for 24m to go with CF for 150mbps download and upload. Hopefully with inflation coming down price increases won't be as much next two years. But VM just getting greedy now.
So phones VM's retentions dept to see if they could offer me a better deal again today. Agent looks through the deals available finally coming up with £29pm on same speeds as I am on now. Hmmm so better than the £33 the one I spoke to yesterday.🤔

I then mention that Community fibre have deals offering faster speeds and lower prices and can they match or better it.

Cue whole you won't get that speed with them, that won't work and would you stay if I ask my manager and agree to £25pm for same speeds. Errr no why would I do that when CF are offering a faster download and upload speed for lower price and 60 day guarantee if not satisfied.

Still gotta give VM 30 days notice period though. Forgot how difficult it was to leave these companies.

I still can't fathom how people think Musk is some genius. He's a serial liar and has got more and more unhinged as years have gone by (a trend I've noticed of those who follow Trump, as he became worse so did his supporters.) This could be the biggest bankruptcy in history all because his ego wouldn't allow for the fact that people could insult him on his favourite platform, so he paid massively over the value for the company, and then when in power proceeded to act like a ******* bratty child.

If only Musk was going to lose out then it wouldn't be an issue but he is happily strolling down the path of seriously damaging the lives of thousands all because he is a petulant prick.

Whilst safety concerns shouldn't be dismissed and Tesla (and other car manufacturers) need to ensure the systems are safe and secure; I still maintain that autonomous cars has the potential to save more lives than any other 'recent' technological or medical breakthrough

The average driver on the road is either impatient, careless, distracted, lacking skill, lacking knowledge, agressive, or a combination of these. Add in genuine mistakes made by all and there's little surprise that ~ 36,000 people are killed in car accidents each year in the UK alone!

Autonomous vehicles won't reduce that number to 0, it's important we recognise that, but they will likely reduce it significantly which will be a huge, huge win in my book. My worry is that any fatal accident involving an autonomous car will be scruitinised so heavily in the press and/or in the courts, that it may prove too big of a liability for car manufacturers to take on.

I think it's the lack of control. I don't even use cruise control on my car, so wouldn't consider this tech. But I agree there are just too many careless, inattentive drivers out there and there is the whole liability issue.

Whilst safety concerns shouldn't be dismissed and Tesla (and other car manufacturers) need to ensure the systems are safe and secure; I still maintain that autonomous cars has the potential to save more lives than any other 'recent' technological or medical breakthrough

The average driver on the road is either impatient, careless, distracted, lacking skill, lacking knowledge, agressive, or a combination of these. Add in genuine mistakes made by all and there's little surprise that ~ 36,000 people are killed in car accidents each year in the UK alone!

Autonomous vehicles won't reduce that number to 0, it's important we recognise that, but they will likely reduce it significantly which will be a huge, huge win in my book. My worry is that any fatal accident involving an autonomous car will be scruitinised so heavily in the press and/or in the courts, that it may prove too big of a liability for car manufacturers to take on.
I think auto drive or ai drive etc would only work if all cars did it and followed the same model. As soon as you mix humans into the equation it will still be a **** show because even if you remove genuine accidents or just tired drivers, there are still far too many **** drivers around who have no regard for others. AI is light years away from anticipating a twat in a hurry who is happy to play chicken.

In theory yes. In practice it's still some way from being able to do that and I think putting current systems on the road is not safe.

Not sure that figures right about the amount killed. Probably around 1.5 - 2 thousand. Might be right if accounting for serious injuries but 36k killed seems very high tbh.

Latest posts