• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Wales

That's very good speeds. Haven't Virgin switched to O2 as their parter?

Not got a 5G handset yet, and just gone sim only as I'm happy with my Note10 for a while longer.

Hoping that a mobile network will be the eventual solution to my parents internet woes. They can barely get more than 1Mbps through their phone line and it's flaky as hell. Problem is they don't get mobile signal either, but you can get some big antennas to fix on your house which should make a difference.

ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

5G has popped up on my iPhone 13 pro max. The only thing is I have 4G sim. Not sure how or complaining?My network is virgin mobile which is a virtual network which uses Vodafone network.

Pretty good download speeds; even happier with the upload speeds which are much faster than I get with my broadband.

Anyone else find this with their 5G handset?
I have a 5g phone just no 5g phone signal. I remember having discussions about 5g and WiMax (although apparently that was mainly a 4g competitor) but essentially its widely accepted 'wireless' networks will overtake traditional wired networks in terms of capacity. Its a infrastructures thing, you think a single Base Station can cover a square mile quite comfortably then think how much extra it requires with wired equipment and then laws of diminishing returns in terms of capacity as that get separated out. Then when equipment gets replaced for better stuff its a lot quicker and easier because you replace the stuff in one location as opposed to several.

Remote locations will always continue to have the worst problems because it isn't as profitable to get good coverage as the amount of users are less. That will also change in time as SATCOM continues to expand although predominantly is still in the stone ages in terms of its capacity but that will accelerate as the requirement increases such as passenger aircraft.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

View attachment 12892

5G has popped up on my iPhone 13 pro max. The only thing is I have 4G sim. Not sure how or complaining?My network is virgin mobile which is a virtual network which uses Vodafone network.

Pretty good download speeds; even happier with the upload speeds which are much faster than I get with my broadband.

Anyone else find this with their 5G handset?

Just tested mine (Pixel 6, EE in Birmingham city centre),
52.9mbps down, 34.6mbps up
Honestly a little surprised it's that low as I've got full signal 5G - though that's still significantly more than I'll ever need to use

Only get 4G, at best, at home so dread to think what that'll be like (sometimes feels it'd be faster to post a letter than send a whatsapp message)

Ragey Erasmus

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

I have a 5G ready phone and the few places with a good 5G connection, it's bloody quick. Got 150mbps in Birmingham New Street I think it was, which is as fast as my home Wifi.

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

Hong Kong

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

I suspect I don’t have full access to 5G, until I upgrade to a 5G SIM card. For a moment I thought it was due to my vaccine booster. ;).

Bruce_ma gooshvili

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Scotland

Club or Nation

Georgia

Stealing these two items off the Fully Charged YouTube channel.

Actual impartial research done (rather than figures pulled out of the air) shows an electric car's net carbon footprint becomes lower than an comparable internal combustion engine car after just 7,000 miles (i.e. within a year), before becoming almost infinitely better for the environment.

And also, just to turn conventional wisdom on its head, the oil and gas producing nation of Russia, a nation that will have comparatively small negative impact to its environment from global warming (at least compared to India, China and the US, who will sink underwater to varying extents and experience horrific desertification) has a capital city where only electric buses will be purchased from now on to reinforce their already considerable electric fleet.

If even a nation that has reasonable grounds to be comparatively indifferent to climate change and a vested economic interest in the consumption of fossil fuels has reached this conclusion then it bodes well that others will follow suit.

Meanwhile my home city persists in spending literally billions digging up ancient narrow roads to install an inflexible and essentially obsolete tram line back and forth. The heart is in the right place, but the head (and wallet) are not.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Anyone got any recommendations for Bluetooth headphones (like actual headphones, not airpods etc - I've got some cheap ones of those that I'll replace with pixelbuds when they die)?

Had some Beats Studio 3s which were decent enough but years of taking them on/off has taken its toll and they snapped this morning

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Wales

I've had a couple of sets of AKG on ears which are difficult to beat at their price point. If you have more to spend there's better options from the likes of Senheiser, Sony & B&O etc.

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

Hong Kong

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

Anyone got any recommendations for Bluetooth headphones (like actual headphones, not airpods etc - I've got some cheap ones of those that I'll replace with pixelbuds when they die)?

Had some Beats Studio 3s which were decent enough but years of taking them on/off has taken its toll and they snapped this morning
What’s your budget?

How about the Sony WH-1000XM4? Seeing as it’s in the price range of your Beats Studio 3s?

Last edited:

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Wales

Any networking gurus here? Got fed up with my patchy wifi coverage using the virgin supplied router (printer keeps disconnecting in the garage etc), so looking to set-up a mesh wifi network.

Looking into things the ideal would be a tri-band, wifi6 (ax) system with 2 or 3 transmitters dotted around, but it looks like that sorta set-up will still set me back £300+ which is way too much .

There are options for a little shy of £200 which i'd be prepared to pay for a long term solution. But looks like it's a choice of either tri-band (so a dedicated 5ghz band for the transmitters to communicate with each other) OR WiFi6, not both.

Anyone have any advice on which to ditch?

Latest posts