• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

Helped me last week locate my car last week. Parked it in a big car park. Just use maps on my phone to lead me straight to my car.
This is the best car finder on the market (2:40) also demonstrates the ultimate satnav

On the one hand, a method of moving money around without being reliant on big financial institutions and getting charged for using their archaic systems seems great, power to the people. On the other, something that has encouraged people to burn an Argentina's worth of power has an unacceptable cost and can die in a non-carbon producing grease fire.

Does anyone understand this well enough to explain what happens when all the Bitcoins have been mined? The way it's been explained to me (a couple of documentaries), at this point, there will be no incentive for anyone to maintain the blockchain, so the whole thing will collapse. Obviously this isn't the case, but I'd be interested to learn why not.
Bitcoin has also been hit by new regulations just come in to reporting any transaction over $10k to prevent money laundering. Although how they are going to invoke it I don't know since the whole of bitcoin is it's anonymity

Bitcoin has also been hit by new regulations just come in to reporting any transaction over $10k to prevent money laundering. Although how they are going to invoke it I don't know since the whole of bitcoin is it's anonymity
Which country has introduced this regulation? How can it be turned back into Fiat without tractability?

What do peeps think about EVs? Seeing a few Tesla 3s in my area. May suit me once I sell my next car as majority of my journeys are short.

Bet the devs at Fastly are sweating big time ha, the list of sites effected is crazy
Amazon, Github, Twitch, Shopify, Spotify etc.

The amount of revenue lost will be staggering

I dont get how people didn't see this coming. There are three broad trends.

1- Increase desire for anonymity from users/consumers
2- Tax agencies from all over have been getting better at tracking money, including sharing info, which had been exceptionally rare till now.
3- Regulations regarding money laundering are becoming stricter.

1 directly (or indirectly if you prefer) collides with 2 and 3. And the people with decision power can play around with 2 and 3, but not with 1.

I have asked the following question to crypto 'experts' a plethora of times. I've yet to receive an answer that makes sense: John is a German national living in Germany. Has a a job, a wife, two kids, a house and a car. Assume no or little debt. Assume also he is a law-abiding citizen. He spends most of what he earns, saves a bit. In what way(s) could the use of crypto improve his life? Other than as a speculative investment.

Blockchain is not a valid answer (you don't need cryptos for that and similar techs have existed for a while).
Every single answer I've received was either a lie (you can transfer money instantly and at zero cost*) or a brutal display of ignorance on the subject

I've also talked with a few people who have money on this. They have no idea, whatsoever, what they are talking about.

I am not saying it is impossible for this to work. I am saying I've yet to meet someone who can explain it to me.

You tell me "Byron in Douala, works in IT and wants to transfer his money to his family in Lagos. Cryptos are the easiest and cheapest way". It is probably true. However, I do not know, but i am 99% sure, that that sort of transfer is, unless you follow a very specific bureaucratic filling and reporting, illegal. That reporting is not cheap either, which beats the purpose as it destroys the value that cryptos bring to the table. They get away with it now because, relative wise, amounts are not that big, so tax authorities let it slide. The minute it becomes 'big' government will track it and 'control' it (audit, tax it, whatever).
Speculatively it could work. I don't know. Long term sustainable business? I'd like to see some numbers.

Happy to be proven wrong in any of the above. But i need evidence and sound arguments. I've talked about this with enough people to see a trend. Never in my life I've seen so many people rally up behind an idea that no one could explain clearly in layman terms. It's like a cult.
And never, ever, accept the 'it's too complex' argument. Not here, not for this. Absolutely not.

*: you can do that with crypto, but a german citizen with a german bank account can do that without cryptos too, to pretty much anyone (no everyone, granted) he might need or want to transfer money to.

This is the best car finder on the market (2:40) also demonstrates the ultimate satnav

This seems a pretty cool feature on the Tesla. But a damn sight more expensive than a £29 airtag.

Windows 11? I thought 10 was supposed to be the last.

Windows 11? I thought 10 was supposed to be the last.
I don't think it will be a new version in the traditional sense that you have to buy an entirely new license everyone on 10 will be upgraded to 11 (which is what they did with 10 with 7, 8 and Vista). Which is what they meant by 10 being the "last version" but it natural there would still be major updates for support of new technologies. It was change of charging model rather than devlopment.

Think of it as an android update.

I'm really hoping that MS finally adds tabs to File Explorer. It's the one fundamental feature that's been missing from windows ever since tabbed internet browsers debuted.

I've used a few 3rd party tools to add the functionality in the past including QTTabBar and Clover, but it really should be included out of the box.

The leak of 'Windows 11' doesn't seem to include it either which is a shame.

Anyone else get these 0845, 0843 numbers that call you on your mobile and then hang up?

Tried blocking each one but they still get through, but on a different version of the number above.

New MacBook Pros announced for creative professionals. Comes with the apple price tag, but worth it for businesses, who can claim back the VAT, income tax relief via capital allowances claim.

Happy with my MacBook Air which suits my needs. Only downside if teams app on Remote Desktop for work still can't access my microphone and camera, so have to switch the Mac OS teams app. Sort it out Microsoft.

Not gonna lie, I'm tempted - will wait to properly consider it when the lead times are down (seen some people who have ordered have their delivery dates be in December/January)

Have used an iMac at my current and my last job, so I'm very much more used to developing on Mac than on Windows, so everytime I try and code at home it takes a while to get used to it all again

Yeh was really tempted as well. But can't really justify it as just won't utilise the power and doesn't really align with my workflow.

Latest posts