• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

Anyone thinking of getting a new tv and Sky, without wanting the satellite dish and box.

Just ordered this monitor for my new work desk I'm building. Replacing my old dual 24" monitor setup.
1100-1.jpg

Will post a pic of my setup when it's finished next week. Can't wait.

Just ordered this monitor for my new work desk I'm building. Replacing my old dual 24" monitor setup.
1100-1.jpg

Will post a pic of my setup when it's finished next week. Can't wait.
Also planning to buy a new monitor to work from home..now use only one monitor, but I think even to buy two separate monitors. Not an expert in all that stuff unfortunately,so will be waiting for your opinion

Also planning to buy a new monitor to work from home..now use only one monitor, but I think even to buy two separate monitors. Not an expert in all that stuff unfortunately,so will be waiting for your opinion

Really depends what you use it for. I use my laptop as one screen and connect to a 25 inch 1440p DELL monitor.

Perfectly fine for my work needs in tax/accountancy and also pleasure watching YouTube, movies etc as the sound comes from my laptop speakers.

If you need it for photo or graphics work then maybe consider 4K HDR monitor if you have the PC to drive them, if you need to see the detail etc.

Two screens is a minimum I think nowadays and a screen size of 24inch side by side (can create a massive screen real estate you need) and at least 1080p resolution a minimum.

But others here might have other advice.

@The_Blindside thanks a lot for sharing!

Perfectly fine for my work needs in tax/accountancy and also pleasure watching YouTube, movies etc as the sound comes from my laptop speakers.

If you need it for photo or graphics work then maybe consider 4K HDR monitor if you have the PC to drive them, if you need to see the detail etc.
I need it only for work, they brought me a corpo screen that I attach to the (corpo) laptop, but I want now to buy my own screens,and I need at least two screens :eek:ne that I use for tasks and another one where I just check urgent things to be validated (right now I have to use a laptop screen as a second one). Not sure if I need 4K HDR monitor though..but thanks for the advice :) I'm very "weak" in technologies tbh, don't know all the details, that's why I prefer to read advices from experts before to buy something :oops:

The screen I've ordered would be overkill for most, it's a 49" super ultrawide, which is basically 2 x 27" widescreens without the bezels in the middle.

Work has given me a laptop to work from, but that's going to be locked away in a ventilated under desk drawer away from the kids, connected to the screen via USB-C for video, data and power for the laptop. Then my personal desktop pc will be connected via displayport.

I got tired of having the bezels between the screens, and this monitor will give me the same multitasking freedom without them in the way.

Maybe have a look at ultrawide monitors. At 21:9 aspect ratio they're wider than the usual 16:9/16:10 we've been used to, but not as crazy wide as the 32:9 I'm getting.

For productivity I'd say resolution, contrast, backlight uniformity and colour accuracy are important factors. Most monitors today are IPS or VA panels, so gone are the days of the terrible TN panels of yesteryear which had appalling colour and viewing angles. As such most monitors should do a good job for all but photo editors etc. who require calibrated displays for colour accuracy. Cheaper monitors usually suffer from things like backlight bleed, or poor brightness/contrast ratios.

If you also want to use it to game, then there are other factors to consider such as response times, refresh rates, ghosting, HDR, etc. Most monitors should be good enough tbh for casual gaming. I don't really game, so wasn't a consideration for me.

Personally I'd stick with one of the well known brands like HP, Dell, LG, Samsung, BenQ, some Asus, some Acer, MSI, Philips, Lenovo. Apple XDR monitor is also supposed to be very good, but costs more than my car!

4k and USB-C would probably be good features for future flexibility if in budget. It's worth noting though that ultrawide monitors probably don't fall into the 4k bracket, because 4k is a term largely coined for tv's, i.e. roughly 4,000 pixels horizontal resolution. Because ultrawides are wider, if they still only had 4k pixels horizontally, the vertical res would be on the low side compared to an equivalent 4k widescreen. So terms like 4k might not be used. E.g. the monitor I'm getting is 5120x1440, so technically 5k, but actually has less overall pixels than a 4k conventional monitor due to the lower vertical pixel count, so it's still not a super high PPI screen like some modern laptops or phones.

Probably gone way to detailed on this post sorry. Bottom line is that I'd recommend an ultrawide over dual monitors personally, and thats coming from someone who's had dual monitors since 2006 (started with dual 19", then moved onto my dual 24", and a similar dual 24" in the office).

Vertical, as well!

Think the only time I've ever seen vertical monitors is twitch streamers so they can have chat up

Vertical, as well!

Think the only time I've ever seen vertical monitors is twitch streamers so they can have chat up
You need to work in more offices with other developers, known a fair number who like a vertical screen to display more lines of code. Can't say I'm a fan myself though but its always the better guys I find who have the weird setups.

You need to work in more offices with other developers, known a fair number who like a vertical screen to display more lines of code.
Just sounds like showing off, ha
Guy I used to work with had three widescreen curved monitors so it almost went 180degrees round home - never saw the point, it'd take longer to rotate your chair to look at screen three than it would to just bring up a new window etc.

The 3 wouldn't fit in landscape, nor would the cables reach. Vertical works quite nicely actually, kinda creates the same screen space as one large monitor. Got it set-up with my teams open on the left, then remote session using middle and right monitors.

The more productive setup would probably be one landscape monitor in the middle as the primary display, then a couple of portrait monitors either side for things like teams, outlook and web browsing. But I'd struggle with the slightly messy set-up of it I think.

Guy I used to work with had three widescreen curved monitors so it almost went 180degrees round home - never saw the point, it'd take longer to rotate your chair to look at screen three than it would to just bring up a new window etc.
Have you worked with true developers though?..

He sounds like a flight sim nut. Someone I used to work with built 3D models of airports in a previous life, before 9/11 did for the company he worked for. He said a couple of his colleagues liked nothing better than to finish work on a Friday and spend Saturday flying from London to New York or similar. To each their own I guess.

400A2B5B-A85C-414D-9AEA-4C5BC44DDAD2.jpeg

5G has popped up on my iPhone 13 pro max. The only thing is I have 4G sim. Not sure how or complaining?My network is virgin mobile which is a virtual network which uses Vodafone network.

Pretty good download speeds; even happier with the upload speeds which are much faster than I get with my broadband.

Anyone else find this with their 5G handset?

Latest posts