• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

I thought that was just a big Lithium battery pack? Which is precisely what I'm looking for an alternative for.

A mechanical "battery" is something like a flywheel - convert electric energy (or even rotary kinetic in the case of a wind turbine) I to rotary kinetic energy, making the wheel turn ever faster when excess electricity is being used, and bleeding it back out when you're using more than you produce.

Or for potential energy, when using more electricity than you produce, pump water (for example) uphill, then when you're using more than you produce, allow it back down through an HEP turbine.

When Formula 1 first introduced KERS breaking, one of the teams (Williams?) Developed a flywheel energy storage, rather than lithium, but were forced to ditch it by the FIA. IIRC because it worked too well compared to what every other team did.

ETA: Nope, it was size restrictions due to other changes I troduced at the same time: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/williams-opts-for-battery-kers-in-2011-4441964/4441964/

Also found this explained here: https://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/williams-f1-kers-explained/

Last edited:

To the surprise of not many people, the folding phones haven't shown to be all that durable. Unless they sort of the materials that can resist being repeatedly bent millions of times, I think this idea will fade.

I mean I think it could last, I see folding phones being a thing but more in 10/15 years time.
It's the natural next step in how things have gone.

To the surprise of not many people, the folding phones haven't shown to be all that durable. Unless they sort of the materials that can resist being repeatedly bent millions of times, I think this idea will fade.
Posted that earlier.

yes, eye watering prices, not durable, and currently only aimed at real techies who wanna buy the latest and greatest. Suppose if they are gonna buy top end smart phone and tablet, then it would make sense for them. Still, not for me.

Fade, until Apple bring to market their version and claim they came up with a better version. They are still getting their fans excited about changing the front notch to pill shape later today and next year likely finally change to USB type C charging and transfer speeds.

Posted that earlier.

yes, eye watering prices, not durable, and currently only aimed at real techies who wanna buy the latest and greatest. Suppose if they are gonna buy top end smart phone and tablet, then it would make sense for them. Still, not for me.

Fade, until Apple bring to market their version and claim they came up with a better version. They are still getting their fans excited about changing the front notch to pill shape later today and next year likely finally change to USB type C charging and transfer speeds.
Somehow managed to miss that. I give you credit for being the first bearer of this news then.

Further on renewable energies...
I've always though it would be a good idea to essentially put a miniature wind turbine (probably one of the sleek, upright helix ones that won't put as much lateral sheer) on the top of every streetlight (at least, away from high builds) - where you've already got a well anchored metal pole that's connected to the grid, and they're raised up where they'd catch wind bouncing around above most of the houses.

Obviously, a huge outlay, and the smaller ones are less efficient per se; but the mass production should offset a lot of the costs.

Imagine the birds it will kill? 🤔. I am kidding btw. What is Trump's beef with that?

Also surely they can have some kind of sonar technology so they don't fly into them. An added cost but still.

Salt is currently in the lead as the most promising alternative to Lithium (for storage, not so much vehicles at this stage). Domestic salt batteries are being produced and sold at present and there is potential with further research they could match the efficacy of Lithium batteries. Plus salt is pretty much infinite.

Sand is also another battery conduit thingamybob being researched. There is basically loads of research ongoing and I think it is almost unthinkable that there won't be 'greener' alternatives to Lithium.

If you're in the apple ecosystem then apple event showed nothing revolutionary.

Dynamic island reminds of the touch bar and bit gimmicky to justify the change from notch to pill shaped front camera. And lol still no USB type C. Apparently next year.

Another piece of the puzzle for Europe given near infinite open space and sunshine in North Africa.

A modest start in terms of energy levels but 1 third electricity for Greece, one third exported to Europe and one third to produce green hydrogen. A win for all concerned.

Hydrogen is better than nothing because you can use renewable electricity to produce hydrogen. So you could have wind farms going at full tilt 24/7 to produce hydrogen. My understanding though is its currently inefficient because you use around 5 times the electricity to produce the hydrogen as you would if you were just using the electricity to power the grid.
I had seen this work around 10 years ago and kinda hoped it'd be more mature by now:

Interesting watch that. I've not considered an ebike it has to be said, but I can see the alure. They just feel like cheating a little, but if that means more people cycle more of the time rather than drive then it's a great thing.

I still need to invest in some winter/wet weather clothing and lights for my bike to commute the 2 days a week I'm in the office.

Latest posts