The TRF XV Team of the 2013 Six Nations Tournament Discussion

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
So the Nominations are in and the votes have been counted, here is the TRF XV Team of the Six Nations

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)
2. Richard Hibbard (Wales)
3. Adam Jones (Wales)
4. Geoff Parling (England)
5. Ian Evans (Wales)
6. Alessandro Zanni (Italy)
7. Justin Tipuric (Wales)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)
9. Greig Laidlaw (Scotland)
10. Dan Biggar (Wales)
11. George North (Wales)
12. Wesley Fofana (France)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
14. Alex Cuthbert (Wales)
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

Sub. Louis Picamoles (France)

This selection hasn't gone my way,I'm complaining about the referee.<_<

A good line up, reflects well on the forum membership.:cool:

Last edited:
Can't argue with that, really!
Could make a case for Picamoles and Parisse switching, but...yeah, pretty spot on.

Good job guys, we're all geniuses :D

That's the Draggs tight five.
Glad to see Zanni getting recognised. He has been a very consistent performer. Now that Italy have a few more wins people are starting to see him more.

That's my exact team except I put robshaw on instead of tipuric who was on the bench. No complaints with the team here then.

Not much argument from me. Jenkins form got a bit better throughout the tournament although Lo Cicero, Healy and Domingo were all contenders (I voted the former, maybe for man-love reasons though).

Hibbard was the form hooker throughout the tournament and easily the best, no doubt. Not really any competition.

No massively stand-out tightheads, Mas played well but Jones largely destroyed the England scrum in the finally and gave Wales a great platform to build on.

Two huge line-out presences in Parling and Evans throughout the tournament. Both were very consistent and boosted set-piece play immensely for both sides. Great energy and always solid, no arguments here.

Zanni was an asbsolute monster throughout. Tackling all over the pitch, scrapping around every ruck, carrying all over, offloading like a back. Great tournament and up there with the best players this 6N. Tipuric is perhaps a more controversial choice given he played about half the tournament, but was very solid when he did and exceptional against England in tournaments key game so no arguements. Robshaw was very consistent but so was Tipuric who then bossed England in the finale. Parisse is hard to argue with, Picamoles was exceptional and was my pick, but Parisse was equally as good when he played and just made Italy a different team as ever.

Laidlaw I'm not as sold on as others, but he did kick extremely well and offered a calming presence and a good, solid performance in pretty much every game. Not many other great contenders though, other than Phillips who had a stormer against England and that's purely the reason I voted for him.

Biggar was the best fly-half, no doubt. Shaky in the first half against Ireland but grow in stature after that, kicked away too much but clearly under instruction and did a good job of it, and made the Wales #10 shirt his own for the immediate future.

North was a bit quiet throughout apart from moments here and there. Nothing wrong, but I thought the likes of Venditti or McLean had brighter tournaments.

Fofana was a beast at inside centre. Shame for Matt Scott missing out though. I personally voted Scott at 12 and Fofana at 13 to get them both in, the two best centres in this years 6N by far.

BOD had his moments, but overall had a fairly mediocre tournament by his own standards. Tuilagi too but he missed the Scotland game and was poorly utilized after that and didn't make much of an impact. No standout 13's, which is a shame because Scott - who was excellent throughout - perhaps acceptably loses out the 12 slot to Fofana but gets ommitted for a 13 who was rather average.

Cuthbert has his issues defensively at times but it's not been as bad as say Ashton's throughout the tournament. I think he's getting better. But aside from that, he's here because he was easily the most dangerous winger throughout the tournament for me. Probably the best finisher in the HN and even the NH on the international circuit at the moment.

Halfpenny was immense. Enough said. Rock solid defensively, snapped up every high and loose ball that came his way, played with 100% committment at all times, made very few mistakes, showed a big boot to get Wales out of trouble territorially and kicked everything in sight.

A few contenders for the bench here, but if Picamoles is left out of the line-up, it's him. Probably the player of the tournament. Two tries and just carried like a machine throughout.

I'm one of those one-dimensional no.8 lovers :p
I understand Italy w/o Parisse isn't Italy, I understand his quality and his many skills, his influence on a match for Italy and all that...but with Picamoles we're simply talking about 2 or 3 guys on him every - single - time during the match; and he's solicited a BUNCH, since France has no game plan this year of course; and he's still on his feet. With Picamoles we're talking scoring a try on his own, only...literally on his own, I'm not being poetic.
To me there's no question Picamoles is up there in stead of any no.8, at least in Europe, and certainly as far as this 6N XV goes, yes. Don't care how fancy Parisse (which I appreciate a lot) is with no look passes and all, and yes I know it's not just flash there's the consistent and effective tackling etc...but sorry, it's Picamoles.

Good team in general. Fofana probably the best of a bad bunch at inside centre. He showed glimpses of magic, but obviously not enough due to PSA playing him out of position (still can't get my head around PSA's selections...just wtf).

Only position I have real issues with is North. I think he was great, but I would have had McClean or Venditti ahead of him on one wing. Thought they both probably had better all-round games this tournament. Was especially impressed with McClean against Ireland, he's a real attacking threat, and seems to be able to create opportunities for his team mates. But North is by no means a bad selection, he's one of the best finishers.

Also, surprised nobody has yet mentioned the sole Englishman in a sea of red :p

Latest posts