• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

Silly from some if true because they won't progress filling in and out.
Like fully fit
VDF
SOB
Heaslip
Conan
Leavy
Jordi
Ruddock

All youngish guys bar Heaslip so Leinster won't keep them all on as they've prospects coming through too

What? Leavy, VdF, Conan and Murphy have all progressed hugely under Leo with Heaslip finding his best form in years! Ruddock has been filling an important role too and SOB is only hampered by injuries. The next generation may struggle but no one there is ready to be playing provincial rugby anyway and passing Dom Ryan around isn't going to make any side better.

Houllier had plenty of chances, but really the poor buys he has made in his time is the main reason for dumping him..............Liverpool though 4th still finished closer to the bottom of the premiership than the top.......since his time as Manager the gap between Liverpool and the two/three top teams has grown considerably.

Curbishley would be odds on favourite to take over would he not??? Has done wonders really with a much smaller player budget.

Not saying they haven't progressed but to be top status you'd agree they all would want to be like a Heaslip status of 'if I'm fit I'm in European/Top 23'.
My point is if there's too much competition do you possibly stall and wait or look to move.
Leavy for example?
He's a capped lad but is fringe. Has progressed. Does he settle for B&I Cup rugby when everyone is fit or what?
And I'm thinking on basis everyone is fit or if you've 1 injury or so

Last edited:
Not saying they haven't progressed but to be top status you'd agree they all would want to be like a Heaslip status of 'if I'm fit I'm in European/Top 23'.
My point is if there's too much competition do you possibly stall and wait or look to move.
Leavy for example?
He's a capped lad but is fringe. Has progressed. Does he settle for B&I Cup rugby when everyone is fit or what?
And I'm thinking on basis everyone is fit or if you've 1 injury or so
What have you quoted? :p

Everyone being fit at any one time is highly unlikely, he's getting plenty of minutes and will likely in the 23 with VdF, Conan and Murphy in 2-3 years time. I think he's getting more out of learning along with some of the world's best backrows than getting more gametime in a dysfunctional Ulster team. If he loses form due to lack of gametime then maybe there's a decision to make but that looks unlikely.

What have you quoted? :p

Everyone being fit at any one time is highly unlikely, he's getting plenty of minutes and will likely in the 23 with VdF, Conan and Murphy in 2-3 years time. I think he's getting more out of learning along with some of the world's best backrows than getting more gametime in a dysfunctional Ulster team. If he loses form due to lack of gametime then maybe there's a decision to make but that looks unlikely.

Quoting gone nuts.
But I'm just saying it could become an issue. Like now the injuries do avoid it.
Personally I think SOB will becone like Leamy.

Everyone wonders every summer how on earth Leinster are going to keep all those back rows happy - or Ulster and their centres - and by the end of every season the injury fairy has once again solved the question, usually with some space for a youngster to start breaking through.

I'll believe in it as a problem for the players when I see it.

Everyone wonders every summer how on earth Leinster are going to keep all those back rows happy - or Ulster and their centres - and by the end of every season the injury fairy has once again solved the question, usually with some space for a youngster to start breaking through.

I'll believe in it as a problem for the players when I see it.

Well that's true too. I suppose I was thinking on basis of everone fit. In fairness though in Ulster I believe it easier as centres are leaving. Leinster are holding their guys.

Jono Gibbes coming to Ulster from Clermont Auvergne to become the new head coach according to Peter O'Reilly in the Sunday Times.

Sunday Times reporting that Biiiiiiig Jono Gibbes has been copped for the Ulster head coach job, where he'll work under Les Kiss, Den Bang and who could forget Cuddle Afterwards

Sunday Times reporting that Biiiiiiig Jono Gibbes has been copped for the Ulster head coach job, where he'll work under Les Kiss, Den Bang and who could forget Cuddle Afterwards

Confirmed, lucky lucky Ulster, you just have to look at Leinster in 2014 v 2015 to see his worth, he kept things reasonably steady under Matt 'ignore youth because pucking them could hardly work' O'Connor's damaging reign. It was a bad decision not to make him our HC then.

Rumours are rife Gibbes has already approached few backrows in Leinster and has 1 definitely 95% over line. My betting is Ruddock

On what I was saying earlier Ruddock and Leavy very much in Ulster's mind and Ruddock very open to idea. Also can confirm Dave O'Callaghan Dave Foley and Copeland have been sounded out.

New saffa loosehead project.

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-sign-schalk-van-der-merwe-3276499-Mar2017/

Andy Warwick hasn't kicked on as much as I hoped he would and I'd worry about Kyle McCall being dogged by hamstring injuries in the future.

If he's cut from the same cloth as most Saffa props, he'll be a useful addition but I know nothing about him (anyone seen him much?).

Been honest he's a project but think it's more he's uncapped. Fact is he will be 30 when IQ and Ireland are wel stocked at 1. So hope that's noted. He's exactly what Ulster need though

Been honest he's a project but think it's more he's uncapped. Fact is he will be 30 when IQ and Ireland are wel stocked at 1. So hope that's noted. He's exactly what Ulster need though

Its the same as Lowe, get an extra NIQ in as a project player before the residency rules change and the foreign player system changes. Lowe might play for Ireland because he's a very good player and we'll be short of 15's in all likelihood but its just Ulster and Leinster playing the system for the last time.

Its the same as Lowe, get an extra NIQ in as a project player before the residency rules change and the foreign player system changes. Lowe might play for Ireland because he's a very good player and we'll be short of 15's in all likelihood but its just Ulster and Leinster playing the system for the last time.

Yeah but Lowe as you say may play 15 and there may be shortage of 15s. But at LHP we are well stocked.
But as you say its there as oprion IF needed or merited

Yeah - I prop should have written that as "project".

He's as much a project player as Louis Ludik.

Hmm.... actually come to think of it.... I'd have Ludik in the Ireland squad miles ahead of Tommy Bowe at the minute. He's been by far our most solid* back of the season.

*Piatau produces greatness - but he can be pretty flaky at times too when asked to kick or pass!

Yeah - I prop should have written that as "project".

He's as much a project player as Louis Ludik.

Hmm.... actually come to think of it.... I'd have Ludik in the Ireland squad miles ahead of Tommy Bowe at the minute. He's been by far our most solid* back of the season.

*Piatau produces greatness - but he can be pretty flaky at times too when asked to kick or pass!

Your spot on though. He's signed as a need for Ulster though. Like I'd argue Tyler Blenyendaal was for us.

Latest posts