• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

Is Coetzee a bit of write off now. It was his good knee so soon after bad knee

I hope this is just a pitstop and Gibbes and Schmidt get the band back together.

Les Kiss as DOR, Gibbs as Forwards coach and Schmidt as backs coach sounds good to me too.... maybe even Feek can come with Joe to help sort out our scrum!

Roll on our 2nd HEC!

- - - Updated - - -

Is Coetzee a bit of write off now. It was his good knee so soon after bad knee

Was it the good knee? I'd heard it was the same knee...?

Last edited:
Les Kiss as DOR, Gibbs as Forwards coach and Schmidt as backs coach sounds good to me too.... maybe even Feek can come with Joe to help sort out our scrum!

Roll on our 2nd HEC!

- - - Updated - - -

Was it the good knee? I'd heard it was the same knee...?

Not sure. Heard reports it was good knee. You'd hope it was bad knee as 2 ACLs on 2 seperate knees so close to eachother is bad. I really hope he gets back fit and Ulster see him in full flight

Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding have been stood down by Ulster having been charged with rape.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0725/892950-paddy-jackson-stuart-olding/

Hard to find words for this. Innocent until proven guilty. I hope the truth comes out, whatever that may be. The IRFU are right to relieve them of their duties pending the outcome of the trial.

From a rugby point of view, Jackson in particular will be a huge loss for Ulster. His improvement as a player over the last 18 months has been remarkable.

Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding have been stood down by Ulster having been charged with rape.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0725/892950-paddy-jackson-stuart-olding/

Hard to find words for this. Innocent until proven guilty. I hope the truth comes out, whatever that may be. The IRFU are right to relieve them of their duties pending the outcome of the trial.

From a rugby point of view, Jackson in particular will be a huge loss for Ulster. His improvement as a player over the last 18 months has been remarkable.

Christ. Another Ched Evans type scenario with the suggestion of three males involved. I'll jump the gun on this one as it is a pet peeve of mine. Apologies if this causes offence.

Question: How many men with no previous convictions for sexual offences escalate their offending straight to the most severe sexual offence (rape) and choose to do so infront of witnesses?

Answer: None.

If they have had their jollies with a lass who has been on a night out and had a few drinks, but consented to leave with them at the end of the night, then they deserve little sympathy and, like Ched Evans, are not people I'd have any respect for. But there is something woefully wrong with justice in the UK if we label men like that rapists and sentence them in the same way. Not to say how demeaning and undermining it is to genuine victims of rape who have been overpowered and abused by relatives, carers and strangers in situations that they in no way shape or form contributed to.

Like Ched Evans it will be a complete lottery if Jackson ends up with a 5 year stretch or walking away free. The law on rape as it stands allows nothing inbetween, because apparently all "rapes" are of equal severity (unlike all violent offences that are legally enshrined as being of different severity with a scale of sentences to suit accordingly). Evidence will be near non-existent and/or reliant on novice psychology by witnesses who are members of the public and have seen the lass on the night, but been so concerned for her welfare they have done nothing. It will be interesting what the fella is getting done for attempt to pervert the course of justice for. That might be the only element of the case that can give any firm indication of wrongdoing. Probably they have filmed the escapade and binned the phone, which proves nothing.

Make sure you never get yourself in a "he said, she said" situation with a lass who has had a few drinks. You are particularly vulnerable if she has a boyfriend or a strict upbringing as she may find accusing you of rape less of a mental ordeal than being caught out being unfaithful or risk being shunned by an old fashioned family as being a tart. It goes without saying triple teaming a lass is not becoming of a gentleman too.

Mercifully there only seems to be this painfully low threshold of evidence in sexual offences. If someone goes to court for a non-sexual offence they are 99% sure to be guilty as sin.

On rugby terms Paddy and Olding better be getting their full salaries. Their careers will be ruined like Ched Evans even if it is found there is zero evidence that the lass didn't consent so this will be their last big paychecks.

Last edited:
Christ. Another Ched Evans type scenario with the suggestion of three males involved. I'll jump the gun on this one as it is a pet peeve of mine. Apologies if this causes offence.

Question: How many men with no previous convictions for sexual offences escalate their offending straight to the most severe sexual offence (rape) and choose to do so infront of witnesses?

Answer: None.

You'd be surprised the statistics are higher than expected.

Like Ched Evans it will be a complete lottery if Jackson ends up with a 5 year stretch or walking away free. The law on rape as it stands allows nothing inbetween, because apparently all "rapes" are of equal severity (unlike all violent offences that are legally enshrined as being of different severity with a scale of sentences to suit accordingly).

Their lottery will depend on the demographic of the jury.

Mercifully there only seems to be this painfully low threshold of evidence in sexual offences. If someone goes to court for a non-sexual offence they are 99% sure to be guilty as sin.

That is because if they are in crown court for something, then they are generally guilty of something.

As someone who works in the criminal justice system the most interesting thing is the fourth defendant has been charged with perverting the course of justice.

These lads are innocent until proven guilty. In my eyes the way the UK justice system goes about these cases is awful.
The Mils Muliaina shows this. It just drags names through dirt regardless of verdict.
Obviously for the lads it's a bit of a messy situation but hopefully it gets resolved sooner rather than later. Nelson is a good prospect but still learning and doesn't need the pressure.

Last edited:
prob best to stay off the topic till an official judgement etc.
My bigger point is how much more an issue the Ruan Piennar departure is now. His leadership and experience is probably needed more now than it ever was. And fact he can play 10 (imo he's only Pro12 standard 10) is a big blow.

From a rugby perspective, Ulster are up **** creek. Peter Nelson and Brett Herron aren't good enough at 10. I haven't been overly impressed by Johnny McPhillips either. Is it too early to push Michael Lowry who appears to be highly rated? If those ahead of him can't get the job done, might as well blood somebody with a huge future ahead of him.

From a rugby perspective, Ulster are up **** creek. Peter Nelson and Brett Herron aren't good enough at 10. I haven't been overly impressed by Johnny McPhillips either. Is it too early to push Michael Lowry who appears to be highly rated? If those ahead of him can't get the job done, might as well blood somebody with a huge future ahead of him.

Can the IRFU not step in and request that one of Leinster's three qualify 10s have a season long loan at Ulster?

Can the IRFU not step in and request that one of Leinster's three qualify 10s have a season long loan at Ulster?
It won't be Johnny Sexton because he's obviously entrenched as the top 10 on the island. He's also likely to see his game time seriously limited due to his month long Lions exhibition excursion. Joey Carbery will be mandated to play 10 due to Paddy Jackson's absence and will get a lot of games there. Ross Byrne probably sees this as an opportunity to supplant Joey Carbery and force his way into the international setup. I can't see any of them moving.

A buyout/season long loan deal for Ian Madigan would be more realistic (still not very realistic). Madigan is out of the international picture playing in England's second tier. A season long move to Ulster would put him back in the international window and also allow him return to Bristol once they're back in the Premiership rather than playing a poor standard in the Championship and save the English club a bucket load in wages.

Bill Johnston is another option on a loan from Munster. Alternatively, Angus Curtis could be promoted from within.

I'm sure we would be open to Bill going up as we'd benefit from him playing Pro 12 rugby and we have JJ Keatley and Tyler who can play 10.
Bill is recovering from injury at moment though.

IN regards to the situation, the parties involved are people I know, and have heard a few rumours so far on where the case is going, though I wont put them out there for general public as the whole thing, and rightly so, is being kept very well under wraps

Michael Lowry is a fantastic little fly half, but he'll need a few years I'd say to adapt to professional rugby, he's very fast but quite small, so he'll need to put on at least a little bit of bulk, and develop his game somewhat in the academy

For all the improvements in the forwards, without Jackson we will struggle this year, big time, and Ulster are very desperate for a fly half somewhere on the market

IN regards to the situation, the parties involved are people I know, and have heard a few rumours so far on where the case is going, though I wont put them out there for general public as the whole thing, and rightly so, is being kept very well under wraps

Michael Lowry is a fantastic little fly half, but he'll need a few years I'd say to adapt to professional rugby, he's very fast but quite small, so he'll need to put on at least a little bit of bulk, and develop his game somewhat in the academy

For all the improvements in the forwards, without Jackson we will struggle this year, big time, and Ulster are very desperate for a fly half somewhere on the market
I'll parrot what I said in transfer rumors thread about Lealiifano being rumored as a soon to be announced Ulster signing. Would ease the stress of the situation a bit hopefully

I'll parrot what I said in transfer rumors thread about Lealiifano being rumored as a soon to be announced Ulster signing. Would ease the stress of the situation a bit hopefully

Definitely, he's a very good player for sure, I'd enjoy seeing him here, even for a year to find someone who'll maybe last another few after

Lealifano to me was one of the best Aussie rugby players. But he has had some serious troubles with Leukaemia. So hopefully he can get back to the level he was at before.

Will Marcel Coetzee be ready for the start of the pro 14?

Lealifano to me was one of the best Aussie rugby players. But he has had some serious troubles with Leukaemia. So hopefully he can get back to the level he was at before.

Will Marcel Coetzee be ready for the start of the pro 14?
Yeah can't find any fresh info but the injury was expected to be well healed up before the seasons start. He was rehab bing pretty well. Expect him to be chomping at the bit when he gets back.

BBC and Belfast Telegraph are saying that Christian Lealiifano is signing for Ulster until early next year to fill the flyhalf void.

BBC and Belfast Telegraph are saying that Christian Lealiifano is signing for Ulster until early next year to fill the flyhalf void.
Yeah, I think he's going to be returning to Brumbies in March/April though, but Ulster are at the stage where they'll take what they can get

Latest posts