The Ulster Thread

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Being as every plastic will jump as quick as their players, I expect a surge in popularity for Ulster over the coming months. Particularly if they turn Sarries over.

Will lock it if necessary.

to be fair been less growth than expected since we started doing well ! (well mid last season )

Ahh I don't know if we can beat Saracens :(. If we do I'll be confident we can beat most teams at home, but highly doubt we'd win it in the final. (However it will be in the Aviva).
Ferris will be back by then though :D that's something to be really happy about, slim slim chance of Bowe being back but I doubt it. Williams will be back and I hope Wilson too. I'm guessing Marshall, Muller and Tuohy will be back aswell?
1: Court
2: Best
3: Afoa
4: Tuohy
5: Muller
6: Ferris
7: Henry
8: Williams
9: Pienaar
10: Jackson
11: Gilroy
12: Wallace
13: Cave
14: Bowe
15: Payne

If we have a team like that we could **** **** up.

WE HAVE OUR OWN THREAD funny_dog_pictures_omg1_OMG_pics-s449x380-21540-580.jpg
Would rather have wilson at 8 and have williams more of an impact player

Ahh I don't know if we can beat Saracens :(. If we do I'll be confident we can beat most teams at home, but highly doubt we'd win it in the final. (However it will be in the Aviva).

Ye of little faith!

Saracens are no pushovers but they're not world beaters either; this isn't like going to Clermont. They'll try and pressurise our set piece and win the territory kicking duels - but if we are secure on our own ball and Payne and Pienaar do the business returning kicks, then they might find themselves a little short of ideas. Also, their atmosphere is appalling, I'd back the travelling support to make it feel like a home game of sorts. From there - very kind draw in terms of opposition and home draws.

Also, when Luke Marshall returns, I want him starting the big games.

Also, when Luke Marshall returns, I want him starting the big games.
Peat, I've a theory and would like your opinion on it. Right now, Luke Marshall is a better all round player than Paddy Wallace. I believe Wallace is being kept in the team because Paddy Jackson needs nurturing at 10. Ruan Pienaar and Wallace are play makers and take a lot of the pressure off their young fly half who struggled badly last season. Jackson is improving but it won't be until next season that Marshall will be picked in big games since Mark Anscombe won't want two rookies learning their trade side by side at the same time.

Wallace has been a class act for ulster the past few months i don't seen any need to put Luke in there he hasn't really done anything spectacular bar one good first half for the A's. I don't think he has played a full 80 all year round, get him starting more pro 12 before putting him in the deep end.
Although another option i would consider is slotting him in ten where he wants to play.

Ulster v Glasgow thread?

Nah, my post which commented on our steady accumulation of bandwagon jumpers... and their... erm... distasteful tendancies.

Ye of little faith!

Saracens are no pushovers but they're not world beaters either; this isn't like going to Clermont. They'll try and pressurise our set piece and win the territory kicking duels - but if we are secure on our own ball and Payne and Pienaar do the business returning kicks, then they might find themselves a little short of ideas. Also, their atmosphere is appalling, I'd back the travelling support to make it feel like a home game of sorts. From there - very kind draw in terms of opposition and home draws.

Pretty much sums it up.

If we get our second row back and that sorts out our attacking and defensive line-outs... then given our scrum strength there is no reason why we could not beat Saracens at their own game... never mind when we start to work it through our backs who have looked a significantly better attacking unit than Saracens (albeit they are improving).

Peat, I've a theory and would like your opinion on it. Right now, Luke Marshall is a better all round player than Paddy Wallace. I believe Wallace is being kept in the team because Paddy Jackson needs nurturing at 10.

Just incase you aren't aware, Luke Marshall played mostly at 10 in his school days. So its not as if he can't take a shovelled pass and kick if Jackson is under pressure.

@Amiga500
I'm fully aware. He was a terrific schools player. I remember one write up in the Sunday Tribune about 5 years ago lauding him as a special talent. What I'm suggesting is that the Ulster brains trust prefer a 33 year old Wallace who's been there, done that to bring Jackson along instead of a 22 year old Marshall who's still making his way in the game.

I really like Marshall, a lot more than I do Jackson. Marshall looks good enough to win 50 caps. I haven't seen Jackson show the same spark.

Marshall/Mincer - Snoopy, think you could be right, although at the start of the season I'd say Wallace would have got it on form anyway. Marshall was doing good things, but he also did a few too many bad ones as well, and Wallace looked in the form of his life. But it does make sense, obviously Marshall offers much the same set of skills to call on, but he's not got the same cool head. Jackson's biggest weakness so far is he feels his mistakes too keenly, they knock him off his stride, and while he keeps trying and can sometimes find it again, having the likes of Pienaar and Wallace around could be helpful. Then again, maybe not; Humphreys publicly said he felt having Jackson start the season without Wallace and Pienaar nearby was a good thing, as it put the weight of responsibility on Jackson's shoulders, which is useful. Doesn't mean Anscombe feels it, but it does put a hole in an otherwise sensible theory.

Since Marshall came into the team though, it's not been a form selection. Wallace might be a bit demoralised, but his defence is nowhere near as robust and he hasn't made things happen ball in hand. The last game before Marshall got injured he looked majestic - almost no silly offloads, excellent work ball in hand, and some absolutely savage defending. Has also hauled down Jonathan Davies in full flight, which is rather impressive. That is why I want him in; on a 50-50 I'd have given it to Wallace, but it doesn't look that way now. Also, Payne coming into the line offers an excellent alternative for a cool playmaker.

edit - On Jackson - His form has been a little up and down this season but I would point anyone who doubts his value to the Castres game where we improved so much when he came on. Part of that's having Pienaar at 9, natch, but Jackson's accuracy and decision making are very easy to miss but very important to his fellow backs. Maybe if you're not watching him every game, or not watching that closely, it doesn't shine through - the boy has a serious talent though. And I am happy to let everything ride on that; he'll make mistakes, sure, but this is his time.

Last edited:
I agree Peat. I do think when Humphreys left it shifted a lot of pressure to Jackson. When Humphreys was here, he got some games and when he did he felt like it was his time to shine and wanted to impress the coach. So he played with a bit more confidence.
Now I think he feels he has a lot of responsibility and I don't think that's good for him, considering his age.

As for Wallace / Marshall - if both were fit, I'd still have Wallace. He's playing really well considering his size, and his defense is actually pretty good. Smart player and experienced which is what we need against Saracens.

I believe we can win in the quarters, but I've never really watched them properly - if a game is on it would be in the background or something. I have every confidence in Ulster, as long as we get some key players back.

One more thing: how are you finding Michael Allen? I think he's a fantastic player who will eventually get some Ireland caps. It's his first season (I think) and the boy bloody bounced Doug Howlett. When Cave goes I think it will be him or Farrell for the 13 shirt.

Without knowing the lad, really can't say whether it's good for him or not, but he had to take on that responsibility sooner or later. It's unusually young for a fly-half, true, but so far it's stood more to his favour than not in my opinion. I certainly don't think he's looked short on confidence; in general, I'd say he's a very confident player. He gets flustered, but he continues to back himself.

Normally I'm happy to talk up Wallace's defence, but I've seen a few more slips from him than I like - and while he's good, Marshall is a beast. It's a good choice to have to make though.

In the background is by far the best way to play Saracens. They have their moments, but mostly they are utter tripe in terms of entertainment. Take every cliche about boring unskilled England rugby and you're basically there.

As for Allen... if I'm honest, he looks like Ian Whitten mk II to me; bit more natural spark and gas, but basically a very decent and versatile player who unfortunately isn't going to threaten the full strength first team XV at any point. If he has got a chance, I reckon it would be as a winger, as Trimble and Bowe are a lot closer to going than Cave age wise. Also, I think Farrell will unseat Cave, simply because Farrell is a freak of nature. That shouldn't be not rating him though, I rated Whitten and I rate Allen and am happy he's here. Just don't think he's as good as some of the lads we have.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBSFJglzmLk?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBSFJglzmLk?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Oddest team selection from the cowboy yet...

15 R Andrew
14 M Allen
13 A Trimble
12 S Olding
11 N Walsh
10 P Wallace
9 R Pienaar;
1 C Black
2 N Brady
3 J Afoa (Capt.)
4 N McComb
5 D Tuohy
6 C Joyce
7 A Birch
8 R Diack

Replacements (16-23): R Herring, R Lutton, A Warwick, A O'Connor, M McComish, P Marshall, D Cave, C Cochrane.

I think I like it... but I'm not sure.

Latest posts