• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Young Ones

GarethGriffiths

Academy Player
Sadly, nothing to do with Rik , Ade & Co.

If a young team of trialist (or non-attached club-wise) players played against a team:

1) Can the fixture be authorised if it is a non-club game - for example it's a charity match and the host club is willing to help out?
2) Can youngsters (we'll say U18/U19) play against an adult team?
3) If a youngster impresses and is unattached but has only played School Rugby (i.e. non Club Rugby) or played social/in a friends team, what happens if a team wishes to sign him (not Gloucester or Leicester, but for example a team like Waterloo or Rosslyn Park)?

Any answers, please let me know. I'm not too up to scratch on the contract/legal side of the game.

Managed to get it sorted, thanks to an ITK person:

1) Can the fixture be authorised if it is a non-club game - for example it's a charity match and the host club is willing to help out?

It can, at the sole discretion/agreement of the host club. This is quite common during pre-season/post-season for charity matches and so long as the host team are affiliated they can play against any team.

2) Can youngsters (we'll say U18/U19) play against an adult team?

Whilst there is no rule to say that they cannot, it is not advised that an U18/U19/U20 side play full 80 minute rugby against older opposition. This is so as to limit injuries and also to make the game more competitive. An U18 v U20 game would be preferable if the host team does not have an U18/U19 side.

3) If a youngster from the trialist side impresses and is unattached but has only played School Rugby (i.e. non Club Rugby) or played social/in a friends team, what happens if a team wishes to sign him (not Gloucester or Leicester, but for example a team like Waterloo or Rosslyn Park)?

Providing that the player is not under any contract agreement (present or future) then yes he/she can talk with the team which wishes to sign him/her. It's advantageous to be able to trace the player's career backwards (to School Rugby, if necessary) but if a player is a late-comer or not played a great deal of rugby (School/Counties etc.) then he/she should still be able to sign forms providing that the club signing him/her are happy to do so.

This would even apply to a club of Gloucester or Leicester's stature, but the chances are that any player who signed for them would have to play Reserve/Developmental/Loanee rugby for a season or two in order to prove him/herself worthy of playing for the first team.

Latest posts