• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thinking of making an attempt to play (women's rugby)

Getting a Card in your first match is definitely a way to make an impression on the coaches and not necessarily a bad one either... Shows your getting into the thick of it so to speak... try not to drop people in the tackle though ...remember once you have them up it's your responsibility to take them to ground.

Sounds like a good debut. You're never going to be perfect when you start, but at least you had the gumption to tackle someone running streight.

In 2008, my first game for playing U19's after a 3 year break from rugby, I was 15, and my first touch of the ball I got absolutely smashed by a guy from Porirua, so at least you were on the giving end.

Sorry I was in a rush this afternoon, so I figured I would make an effort and put it here now. You will have to keep us all posted how your getting on.

Well done for your first game by the way, yellow for a dangerous tackle is not so bad. One of our team got carded for gobbing off to the ref on Sat, now that is stupid he should have known when to keep it shut.

Don't mean to bump an older thread, but starting in December I'm being recruited by a local women's club to play as a loose forward.

I'm scared.

I wouldn't worry about it. They'll train you and you'll get used to the bumps and bruises easy. I remember there was a hostess at my favorite restaurant that played rugby. She was really young, around your size and she was quite good.

Last edited:
I was surprised to have even played last weekend, I didn't feel I'd be ready to go until December or so (which is after I graduate from university, but despite having 2 hours of training under my belt I got asked to come out and play).

Anyway, last night had a talk with my team captain over the game. She was playing alongside me and didn't see much, but the main point she made to me is, when I missed that tackle, I laid there on the ground staring at that opposing winger running away from me. I should have gotten up to chase and join what probably would have been a ruck had she not sidestepped our fullback.

Anyway, not playing this weekend, not even sure if we have a game (don't think so) but I'm refereeing a couple soccer games instead.

Anyway, last night had a talk with my team captain over the game. She was playing alongside me and didn't see much, but the main point she made to me is, when I missed that tackle, I laid there on the ground staring at that opposing winger running away from me. I should have gotten up to chase and join what probably would have been a ruck had she not sidestepped our fullback.

It's natural to shut off a bit in the game when things aren't going well, something that comes with experience from what I've seen. Even when you've just made a great hit/cleared a ruck/made a break, most people have a tendency to be a bit pleased with themselves and laze over to the next ruck. Fitness is a big part of work rate but all the same the more you'll play the more you'll realize how much of it is attitude/focus. Always helps to have a gobby scrum-half behind you though :lol:

Anyway, good luck and keep us all informed!

Why? Is the season over? Are you enjoying it so far?

My sister after years of watching all 3 of younger brothers play joined a club in the UK (Hammersmith - I think) and loves it. It was a massive difference to all the netball and touch and but definitely an eye opener.

Never mind about the binning - she's racked up plenty. Ref's always seem to have a different point of view.:cool:

Season actually just started. I didn't plan on actually playing until mid-December to begin with, but got invited on due to roster shortages, but haven't had the time to since.

And now I've had the time. First full training session with the girls.

They go HARD. I thought I was in pretty good shape. I struggled to keep up with the props by the end of the 2-hour training session.

My sister after years of watching all 3 of younger brothers play joined a club in the UK (Hammersmith - I think) and loves it. It was a massive difference to all the netball and touch and but definitely an eye opener.

That's absolutely my neck of the woods, does she have any opinion on the club in general? Was considering joining up now I've had my last season for my school side.

Also, to OP, keep it up; the first couple of sessions will always be like that.

Some props are just in good shape :lol:

Okay, so. I've watched rugby over the years, and always wanted to give it a go. I have a sporting background, so playing a sport wouldn't be new to me, but I've always been told that I don't have the body type at all to play rugby (amongst other people telling me that rugby is "not for girls"), and wouldn't do well in the sport.

So, here's me:

I'm 155cm tall and my weight is in the 40's (kilos). I am not very muscular but I have a lot of stamina, coming from my background in soccer, where I played central midfield at a very high level. However, also from my soccer background, I'm not very coordinated with my hands/arms when it comes to handling a ball. Also, being as small as I am, I'm not a fast runner, but I have a good amount of agility.

I've been told that if I were to improve my ball-handling skills I could play one of the inside back positions, such as 10, 12, or 13, but I'm probably not fast enough to play out on the wing, and could also make it as a fullback if I had good tactical kicking skills.

What do you guys think?

Hmm, I think the best idea is to put up some pics of your body, er so we can get an proper idea of your body shape to determine your best position, obviously we'd need to see if you had a high or low bodyfat % so as little clothes as possible please, none at all would be ideal, for science, and all that. Worth a shot.

Got injured at practice the other night doing some full-contact scrimmaging. I got the ball out wide with no defenders in front of me, but I'm not a fast runner so I got caught from behind. The tackler grabbed my shirt collar and ripped me to the ground. I landed awkwardly on my shoulder and cracked a rib. My knee was a little tender from earlier that night as well, so when I went to the hospital for my fractured rib they took a look at my knee as well. Turns out I have some ligament damage in it.

I'm out for 4-6 weeks.

:(

Need any physio for it?

Anything to do with ligaments can be risky so whatever you do, don't rush the recovery period just to get back to playing sooner. Did something similar with my shoulder and tried to get back into games as quickly as possible, definitely did me more harm than good in the long run.

Commiserations though. The rest period is horrible and frustrating, but it's worth waiting for a full recovery.

My sister got picked for the Leinster Girls team after less than a year of playing....

....*****...

Why not grow your hair out and go yourself?
If they say you're a bloke just cry and say you're very sensitive about your butchness.

Why not grow your hair out and go yourself?
If they say you're a bloke just cry and say you're very sensitive about your butchness.

I don't think that would be a huge issue :p

Sadly I've also had some incidents on field regarding my nether regions that mean most GRFC folk have an idea as to my gender...

I don't think that would be a huge issue :p

Sadly I've also had some incidents on field regarding my nether regions that mean most GRFC folk have an idea as to my gender...

The forum as a whole may resent me for this... But do go on??

Ok the more family friendly story goes as follows , Forgot undershorts - forgot all I had was old shorts a few sizes too small...Chasing a winger who broke the line midway through the match going at full tilt when moby dick breaches in search of Oxegen right as I was haring down the touchline after him...

Shameless git that I am I kept going and took him to touch....

The other incident involves deep heat and the most important game of the season...go figure

First club fixture was Saturday.

Well, first was last week, but the other club didn't have a women's team (our league organizes matches on a club vs. club basis and all the different teams play consecutively).

Anyway, while I didn't play because I'm still recovering from my rib and knee injuries, our club won both matches, 33-10 for men and 36-12 for women. After watching international rugby most of my life, and no offense to my teammates, the women's match was comically sloppy. As a result, something like 70% of plays by both sides were a pick and go out of a breakdown with 9+ players committed to it, and passes were only attempted to send it out wide with a numbers advantage (half of which were knocked on or turned over).

Oh, and there was hardly any kicking game, one of the men's players for our team had some nice bombs and chips but that's all I saw.

In the meantime, my team captain has told me that when I return, she wants me to play at 12 and be the team's goal kicker (after seeing what I can do off the tee in practices).

Latest posts