• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Third Test: Australia v British and Irish Lions (06/07/13)

3 of the past 5 tours had more English than the 11 Welsh in the 23 this year.
If I'm honest it just wasn't as clear when. I know 2001 there were a few but in 2009 there was better balance, 2005 was a joke of tour I've always said it but point is on them tours it wasn't a national coach possibly being alert in saying I still need a few of these after the tour. Woodward was probably as close but he didn't have as many English starting and well I don't know what he was thinking with that tour

I think the biggest boost for the Welsh players would be the Farrel treatment. In England he was the poster boy and it was going to his head. He thought he was untouchable. Now in the Lions he wasn't the favourite, he was told to sit on the side. I think a few of the Welsh players having the same treatment and still being in the winning team will do them a lot of good. Not saying they are arrogant like Farrel but young players need to be taken down a peg or two at times and shown they are not yet indespisible.

I don't think any of the young players in the Welsh squad need to be taken down a peg or two to be fair. They are all very humble, and work their absolute socks off. Farrell (senior) and Rowntree commented at the beginning of the Lions tour about the work ethic of the Welsh players, by all accounts it is absolutely phenomenal. Without knowing too much, it appears as though Warburton is the driving force behind this, he's an ultimate professional, and he's got the entire squad to follow his example. When you add the likes of Halfpenny who is borderline obsessive in their training/preparation, then you have a very mature bunch in terms of professionalism.

Arguably it's some of the older players who need to be taken down a peg or two now and again, well one really in Phillips. But there's a chance he'll retire from international duty anyway.

I believe that the issue regarding not beating SANZAR nations is a kind of hurdle that they haven't quite yet managed to overcome. I always thought that if they could do it once, the duck would be broken, and wins would come more regularly. And that's my point about the Lions, for those Welsh players involved, that hoodoo has been broken against Austrailia, and that might translate into the Welsh shirt. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Got to meet C. Murray today briefly and well while I still disagree with Gatland another spin is I asked was there a split in camp over BOD and he said straight up no there wasn't and it probably didn't come across well but there was super unity in squad and during first 2weeks hardly anyone mixed but by the end there is amazing friendships and memories he won't forget. Supposedly Zebo and Wade are basically best buddies so well if Wasps go down I will welcome him to Thomond :p

Latest posts