• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

This Conference System has to be scrapped?

Yeah, but it won't work as there are currently too many teams to accomodate such a plan within the period allowed for the SR tournament, and then you also have to add bye weeks...

Unless they go the route of not having playoffs at all, and just let the team with the most points at the end of the season win the trophy.

Yeah well, works for fairyball eh? I mean foot...

I actually wouldn't mind scrapping the play-offs and have the top team of a league style tournament take the ***le. We wouldn't be able to play home AND away but thats not close to as full of issues the current format has. That would also have meant the Stormers could've had a ***le by now as we were topping the logs but couldn't go all the way in knock out matches. Is it not maybe an issue though that ur players won't get experience in knock-out matches to take into a RWC though other than those that play in domestic leagues rather than internationals.

A lot of people would lose interest in the finals if it were made up of one conference or nation.

Kiwis might be suggesting that it isn't fair now because they have 4 really competitive teams, but how would they feel if the finals were made up of all South African or Aussie teams?

The finals here would be awesome if the Brumbies played the Rebels and the Waratahs played the Reds, however I doubt any kiwis would watch or care about it.

I would watch a super final with any kiwi teams playing, the one thing that would put me off is the SA team vs SA team playing before 5am.

Would most prob watch playoffs without kiwi teams as well, I did a few years ago when Sharks beat the Reds and the Stormers on the road and then came to play the Chiefs.

A lot of people would lose interest in the finals if it were made up of one conference or nation.

Kiwis might be suggesting that it isn't fair now because they have 4 really competitive teams, but how would they feel if the finals were made up of all South African or Aussie teams?

The finals here would be awesome if the Brumbies played the Rebels and the Waratahs played the Reds, however I doubt any kiwis would watch or care about it.

Its no different to that attitude you have because your teams are advantaged by this than us being disgruntled about it.... its the same difference to me. I could watch an all overseas final... and im pretty sure I have before?... not sure if its happened but I think it has cant remember. IF the reds made the final id be pretty bemused though (still cant believe they won in 2010 or whenever it was).

I accept though that the NZ teams are generally superior and I would go as far as to say the competition the way it is has been setup with this in mind. I think the NZRU has made this concession to appease the others partys. I havent got any problem with it really either.

What does annoy me is that teams are getting home ground advantage when they didnt earn it and that highly ****** me off (Im just happy the HL were able to overcome those odds last year). That is one thing that has to change imo. I can accept overseas teams being in the finals just because. I can accept that but getting home advantage aswell thats just utter BS.

End of the day the way the comp is setup MAKES the NZ teams stronger and NZ rugby better. Fact is come the finals some of our teams will have to play out of their skins away from home to beat these overseas teams its all great experience for guys that might not be quite ready for the AB's yet. And this comp has proven over the years overseas teams really struggle to beat NZ teams at home in big finals matches.

The only solution I see is to dilute the NZ conference with a minimum of one more team. (this should of been done already when Hawkes Bay was up for it!!!) To late now.

Last edited:
It annoys me the same way the world cup annoys me, the competition isnt designed to decide who the best team is. There are other factors involved and I can accept that, if the thing doesnt make money then it isnt going exist.

I really dont understand the reluctance to have 2 tiers in Super Rugby or the WC though. Anyone that thinks it diminishes the excitement for the lesser ranked teams cant be watching much of the Sevens tournament. That competition is absolutely awesome! And you double the amount of play off and final games, surely that creates more money and interest?

And yes Japan beating SA was a huge moment in rugby, but really after the hype died down it still didnt mean anything. Imagine if Japan was then in the WC Plate final! It would have been huge! Translate that back to Super Rugby and the Sunwolves could be focusing on performing in the second division rather than disappointing all the new fans they gained from the WC, Japan must be losing rugby fans in droves!

Two issues are being continually pushed by the NZ media as "Band Leaders"
1. The papers continue to post and overall points table alongside the separate Conference Tables. They need to stop doing this. The Conference system is clearly based on American sport (Baeball, NBA etc) and the US media never put up an overall points table.
2. The NZ media are now continually harping on about "Local derbies". According to them 'Local derbies" are the only games worth watching. E.G. This weekend just gone. According to NZ media it was an absolute dud round because no NZ teams were playing each other. They completely ignored the fact that the Warratahs team playing Crusagders contained a number of Aus World Cup Final players.

These to points are being driven hard by the media and everyone else is falling in behind.

Can someone please kindly fill me in on why SA have 6 teams in the competition when only 1 of their teams have ever managed to win it? It's laughable they think they have this sort of depth, their national team also lost to Japan at the last world cup, that should have been a red flag alone of how poor they are.

Can someone please kindly fill me in on why SA have 6 teams in the competition when only 1 of their teams have ever managed to win it? It's laughable they think they have this sort of depth, their national team also lost to Japan at the last world cup, that should have been a red flag alone of how poor they are.

I listened to Steve Tew (NZRU CEO) being interviewed. He said that Sth Africa insisted on an extra team or they would pull on of Super Rugby. Tew said that it was the NZRU's belief that (for New Zealand) Sth Africa was vital for the competition. Why?
1. Because NZ rugby would suffer financially and lose many more players to Nth Hemisphere.
2. Because NZ players need exposure to Sth African players before they play Test matches against them (History would show this to be an accurate summation).

Two issues are being continually pushed by the NZ media as "Band Leaders"
1. The papers continue to post and overall points table alongside the separate Conference Tables. They need to stop doing this. The Conference system is clearly based on American sport (Baeball, NBA etc) and the US media never put up an overall points table.
2. The NZ media are now continually harping on about "Local derbies". According to them 'Local derbies" are the only games worth watching. E.G. This weekend just gone. According to NZ media it was an absolute dud round because no NZ teams were playing each other. They completely ignored the fact that the Warratahs team playing Crusagders contained a number of Aus World Cup Final players.

These to points are being driven hard by the media and everyone else is falling in behind.

all the people that attempt to points by using a single table just make me laugh... the whole point of conferences is that you have a way to sort teams since a single table wouldn't work

Edit: I understand that as an American this system is second nature to me and that how it could be confusing for non-north american sports fans

Latest posts