• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

This Is Why Gouging Should Be Dealt With Harshly

I agree with other posters that the actual case quoted will be investigated and judgement made.

Regarding the general problem of gouging I am dumbfounded that there appears to be a debate as to whether it is acceptable in the game or not. There is no question that when you enter into a full contact game such as rugby you accept that there are risks that are appropriate to the controlled circumstances. Contact with the upper body and the consequences of that are to my mind part of the accepted risk; if they are not then you should not be playing rugby.

If there are people that do not get enough adrenalin charge from the risks of upper body contact and need the additional and completely unnecessary risk of being blinded in order to enjoy the game then I think they are in the wrong place. Perhaps the real place for these people is alongside the thugs at wendyball matches. They tend to use the same excuses for their behaviour that I hear some on here using such as "It's all part of the culture of the game" and "It's always happened".

I do not accept that contact between fingers and eyes is an additional risk that is needed to enjoy the game of rugby and acceptance and condoning of it as some sort of "horseplay" either by coaches or fellow players is irresponsible. it is basically actual bodily harm.

My old coach in the Under-16's at that club used to encourage us to bite, scratch and so forth. Not gouge, but it's not an attitude you should be giving kids.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 17 2010, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My old coach in the Under-16's at that club used to encourage us to bite, scratch and so forth. Not gouge, but it's not an attitude you should be giving kids.[/b]

My son plays junior rugby and the opposition in a match he played recently were biting. Where have they learned that from?

Can I suggest that boys who want to bite, scratch and pull hair go and pick fights with girls.

Latest posts