• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

This years Wallabies backline

Everyone picked Quade Cooper @ fly half for they're backline (including me) but after seeing the Reds v Brumbies its made me wonder if he has the maturity to handle playing 10 at international level. I mean when things we're just not going the Reds way he didn't seem to have any thing to respond and when the pressure was really on in the second half his decision making went to **** along with his kicking. I have no doubt he is the more tallented fly half and Matt Giteau is a better 12 but would it be worth sticking with Gituau 10 Cooper 12 for another season to keep the experience at 10 were it is most needed?

Everyone picked Quade Cooper @ fly half for they're backline (including me) but after seeing the Reds v Brumbies its made me wonder if he has the maturity to handle playing 10 at international level. I mean when things we're just not going the Reds way he didn't seem to have any thing to respond and when the pressure was really on in the second half his decision making went to **** along with his kicking. I have no doubt he is the more tallented fly half and Matt Giteau is a better 12 but would it be worth sticking with Gituau 10 Cooper 12 for another season to keep the experience at 10 were it is most needed?
I see your point but I think we should be looking to 2011. That's another year away and another year for Cooper to mature in that role for the Wallabies. Let's see how he plays out the year and if he can win back some form for the Reds.

Lets hope he can't win back some form for the reds till after next weekend.

9 Genia
10 Barnes
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
13 Horne (if fit, otherwise Ionie and Hynes on wing)
14 Ionie
15 AAC

20 Valentine (burgess cant pass)
21 Cooper
22 Beale

9 Genia
10 Barnes
11 Ioane
12 Giteau
13 AAC
14 Mitchell
15 Hynes

20 Burgess
21 Cooper
22 O'Connor

Are people still willing to give test caps to Burgess? the guys a good footballer, but he flat out just cannot pass. Thats a pretty important part of the job description to be a halfback.. Did anyone see the service he was giving in the cheifs game? his forwards were absolutely dominant yet his passes were shocking, he has no excuse.

I say they should give Kingi another crack just on potential. I would also be tempted to leave Giteau as halfback cover incase Genias injured (Lets be honest he isnt going to be subbed off) which would leave another spot open on the bench for another backrower

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Mortlock (I realise he's past his prime but I still worry more when he's on the field than any other player).
14. Ioane
15. AAC

20. Valentine
21. Kurtley Beal
22. Rod Davies

Haha, i really rate the guy but maybe play him off the bench for a bit first because early on we need to set the platform and sometimes he is a bit erratic. this may cost the team a bit more at the international stage. for instance the brumbies game when he had a shocker and he didnt start too strong against the stormers i think it was. i'd like to see him start at the end of the trinations or the spring tour though.
will be interesting to see which way deans goes with the backline though.

9 Genia
10 Barnes
11 Ioane
12 Giteau
13 AAC
14 Mitchell
15 Hynes

20 Burgess
21 Cooper
22 O'Connor

Deans might put AAC at outside due to our lack of experience there though he prefers him at fullback, and history has shown he hasn't played that well there. i agree with barnes at 10 with gits at 12 they both play better in those positions and those wingers have clearly been our best this year. im not sold with hynes at fullback yet. he returns the ball well and defends well when he gets to rush into the line, but i have seen him miss a few one on ones in space, reminded me of drew mitchell for the force last year. one of my mates has a man crush on burgess and he is goos around the ruck, but until he picks up his passing, as well as the way valentine has played lately id have to go with him. O'Connor/ beale either way for the last spot is good.

9 Genia
10 Toomua
11 Davies
12 Giteau
13 Mortlock
14 Ioane
15 Ashley Cooper

20 Kingi
21 Quade Cooper
22 Beale

9 Genia
10 Toomua
11 Davies
12 Giteau
13 Mortlock
14 Ioane
15 Ashley Cooper

20 Kingi
21 Quade Cooper
22 Beale
Yo dude that's pretty random. Kingi and Mortlock have barely played a game all year. Toomua and Davies are very inexperienced albeit good players. Defiantly wouldn't be playing Toomua in front of Barnes and Cooper at this stage.

Yo dude that's pretty random. Kingi and Mortlock have barely played a game all year. Toomua and Davies are very inexperienced albeit good players. Defiantly wouldn't be playing Toomua in front of Barnes and Cooper at this stage.

To be fair Kingi has been behind Genia, any halfback in the world wouldn't get any game time either. Also, generally every other halfback in Australia is ****-poor.
Kingi might be inexperienced, but he has more raw talent than any of the other options, why not give him some more time to learn from Genia in the wallabies camp.

To be fair Kingi has been behind Genia, any halfback in the world wouldn't get any game time either. Also, generally every other halfback in Australia is ****-poor.
Kingi might be inexperienced, but he has more raw talent than any of the other options, why not give him some more time to learn from Genia in the wallabies camp.

thats a fair comment, though if you'd have watched the brumbies games lately valentine is putting his hand up!

You guys might not agree, but I don't give a ****.

9 ) Genia
10 ) Berrick Barnes
11 ) Digby Ioane
12 ) Matt Giteau
13 ) Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 ) Drew Mitchell
15 ) Julian Huxley

20 ) Josh Valentine
21 ) Quade Cooper
22 ) Has a crap moustache Beale

9. Genia
10. Giteau
11. Davies
12. Anthony Faingaa
13. Digby Ioane
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam Ashley Cooper

20. Valentine
21. Cooper
22. Mitchell

9. Genia
10. Giteau
11. Davies
12. Anthony Faingaa
13. Digby Ioane
14. Peter Hynes
15. Adam Ashley Cooper

20. Valentine
21. Cooper
22. Mitchell

While I don't really like to critisize other peoples opinions, I feel bias is getting in the way here, obviously with your reds signature and your backline pointing to what team you support. Faingaa, isn't bad, but certainly not 22 quality. Rod Davies is pretty good and would like to see him in wing if AAC doesn't work out in outside centre with moving Digby Ioane to outside centre. Peter Hynes again, I feel like he is good, but not of starting 22 quality.

Why is no one picking Huxley? AAC has been mediocre at fullback, I would like to chose him at outside centre, and if it doesn't work out this would be my revised backline

9 ) Genia
10 ) Barnes
11 ) Davies
12 ) Giteau
13 ) Ioane
14 ) Mitchell
15 ) Huxley

20 ) Valentine
21 ) Cooper
22 ) AAC

Mitchell is mediocre at best, Barnes has been nonexistant this year, AAC is proven at test level, Faingaa has been one of the best defensive players this year. Huxley isn't that great, put Hynes at fullback and AAC in the centers with Ioane on the wing if you must.

Yeah, so mediocre he is 3rd joint top try scorer this season. Berrick Barnes had a crap start to the season but is now solid, he was proven last year to be solid aswell, Cooper has proven he is rubbish under pressure where as Berrick Barnes is just as good under pressure. Giteau has to be number 12, there is no alternative, you need that experience to settle in the new number 10, Faingaa has no experience what so ever. You can't take a bunch of newbies into test level which the majority of them have are.

Drew Mitchell is only 26, he is still quite young for rugby and same with Matt Giteau, form isn't everything to go on, you need experience. Giteau is better at 12 because his kicking game isn't that superb, it is his running game and would be better suited with more space.

Barnes only has a kicking game, he thinks he's Chris Latham and can land a torpedo anywhere he wants, and so he kicks it all the time, Barnes is not that great of a player, he hit his peak to early and is now crap. Scoring tries isn't really an indication of how good you are.... alot of the time it's an indication of how good the rest of the team is as at getting you in space. Hynes has done a fair few 90 meter trys for the Reds over the years and has proven he can play at an international level.

Latest posts