• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thoughts about refs in this years record?

Not sure if you are biased or just need an ophtalmologist.
Several TV shows spotted it live ffs!
It doesn't take a neurosergeon or a NASA engineer to think "hey, the guy is there on the ground, in pain. I have the time, all this fancy monitors at my disposal, why don't i just have a look at what happened. Out of curiosity, you know." The ref doesn't even have to ask the TMO anymore.

And that "bare touch" you speak of is a punishable offense according to the laws of the game. If you don't like if watch another sport.

Fact is, if the rules had been applied properly, Ireland should have been a man down for most of the game.
I know: should have, could have, etc.. didn't happen, but since we are talking about the ref's performances, that was clearly a mistake that could have changed the outcome of the game.

I didn't hear the TMO mentioning it to him? Fact is O'Brien actually made sure Nigel wasn't looking at the time before he threw the punch. Also O'Brien is a tank, but to see 120kg's of Muscle fold like Pape did, well that must've been some hit or else he's really hoping to milk it, which is something referee's do not like in this sport. Yes he should have been sin binned and potentially red carded, more likely yellow because he was being held and Pape was not innocent by holding him back.

We do quite like a little bit of aggression in this sport, that did cross the line a bit, yeah, however I do think something needs to be done about players held off the ball, it's seriously annoying

Also given the way Iain Henderson demolished the French pack when he came on, he destroyed a maul on his own for goodness sake, then I'd still say the French didn't look quite like winning the match, it was quite comfortable towards the end. And going down to 14 men can galvanise a team, Ulster held on with 14 men for 77 minutes vs Saracens a few years ago, and we weren't far off taking the W either, so by no means does it guarantee a change in result!

If the rumors are true on what that guy did before the punch, he will not get on a rugby field without getting punched.

And yes I saw the punch....I've seen much worse, I don't think the punch was hard enough to look like a 50 000 volt tazer shot going through him.....

Spot on... what are the rumours of what happened before the punch?

It's as if you are not familiar with the rules of the game.

There is not palliative tha allows a rugby player to purposely punch another player.

It's as if you are not familiar with the rules of the game.

There is not palliative tha allows a rugby player to purposely punch another player.

No of course punching is not allowed, but dont pretend Pape wasn't asking for it. I think a one match ban is fair enough for it

Someone on the site mentioned that he put his finger up the guy's backside.....and EVERYTHING I read on this site I take as fact, is true!

If the rumors are true on what that guy did before the punch, he will not get on a rugby field without getting punched.

And yes I saw the punch....I've seen much worse, I don't think the punch was hard enough to look like a 50 000 volt tazer shot going through him.....

Opinion based on tumours then, rather than what was visibly the fact? Maybe we should make Hilda Ogden a citing officer.

Wow.... Im surprised O'Brien stopped at one punch, like what the hell?

I didn't hear the TMO mentioning it to him? Fact is O'Brien actually made sure Nigel wasn't looking at the time before he threw the punch. Also O'Brien is a tank, but to see 120kg's of Muscle fold like Pape did, well that must've been some hit or else he's really hoping to milk it, which is something referee's do not like in this sport. Yes he should have been sin binned and potentially red carded, more likely yellow because he was being held and Pape was not innocent by holding him back.

We do quite like a little bit of aggression in this sport, that did cross the line a bit, yeah, however I do think something needs to be done about players held off the ball, it's seriously annoying

Also given the way Iain Henderson demolished the French pack when he came on, he destroyed a maul on his own for goodness sake, then I'd still say the French didn't look quite like winning the match, it was quite comfortable towards the end. And going down to 14 men can galvanise a team, Ulster held on with 14 men for 77 minutes vs Saracens a few years ago, and we weren't far off taking the W either, so by no means does it guarantee a change in result!
So, to sum it up, your player does something that acording to the rules deserves a red card and your response is:

- we have a one man machine that can beat all the french pack
- Being 14 against 15 is actually an advantage (is Ireland using that advantage and fielding 15 men coming weekend?)
- we like aggression in this sport (as if you were the only one who played rugby here)

It's as if common sense just flew out the window.
This is not rocket science: the game should have been played 14 vs 15 and that did not happen. That significantly benefited the Irish.
Just admit you got away with murder.

And no, of course nothing guarantees a change in the result, but i'm pretty sure the French would like their odds playing with an extra man.

He stuck a finger up his arse.

Nigel Owens does actually do Stand Up Comedy as well, the man is hilarious, I've been to one of them!

But he's far and away the best ref in that he:
a) takes responsibility for all the decisions, regularly making his own judgement of the TV replays
b) the players respect him much more because of the fun way in which he referees the game
c) he keeps the game quick, he is fantastic at being in the right positions to make calls which other referees miss or have to be informed of by the TMO. He makes the game much faster as a result too, but not making bad calls because of it
d) he takes no nonsense at all, but also doesn't overreact with yellow & red cards. By this I mean he sympathizes when players put in effort to be safe in the tackle, rather than just misfortune and accidents, which many referees will sin bin or even red card for

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he applied the laws now and then.

@Cruz_del_Sur - I can guarantee you one thing....if he played against the Boks he would not be standing after something like that, sies man. You know about that rumor and still you go on?

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL would like to hear from you next time a french is using a "bit of aggression" against an Irish...I will hear "dirty scum" all the way...

Anyway Owens is crap and has always been crap, frenchies do not like him and never liked him, we think he is the sort of referees that has been raised with the French surrender as a song and he is totally biased against the frenchies. Though he had an acceptable match on Sunday for once (apart the SOB incident but he can't have eyes in his back)

We prefer in general SH referees that have less bias and less impacted by their upbringing than the british referees.

One thing I'm noticing about refering on this world cup : I thought the use of the video would be highly beneficial but finally, it is not solving everything and even in some cases, video is not sufficient to make a correct decision.

Last edited:
@Cruz_del_Sur - I can guarantee you one thing....if he played against the Boks he would not be standing after something like that, sies man. You know about that rumor and still you go on?
Let's do this: you create your own sport, and make it explicitly clear in the rules that if someone rubs you the wrong way you are allowed to punch him. Let me know how popular it gets.
In the meantime, if you don't mind, i'll enjoy rugby, a game in which such action is penalized with a red card.

PS: i would probably react the same way, but that does not make it right.

So, to sum it up, your player does something that acording to the rules deserves a red card and your response is:

- we have a one man machine that can beat all the french pack
- Being 14 against 15 is actually an advantage (is Ireland using that advantage and fielding 15 men coming weekend?)
- we like aggression in this sport (as if you were the only one who played rugby here)

It's as if common sense just flew out the window.
This is not rocket science: the game should have been played 14 vs 15 and that did not happen. That significantly benefited the Irish.
Just admit you got away with murder.

And no, of course nothing guarantees a change in the result, but i'm pretty sure the French would like their odds playing with an extra man.

He stuck a finger up his arse.

No I'm saying we had a fantastic bench, and a highly disciplined team that would've made it difficult for the French regardless, though fatigue could be an issue, but the French weren't creating much anyway, and if it was continuing as a forwards based game, given the way ireland performed I still think they COULD have won, not would but could have.
And I know I'm not, by we i mean the general rugby community. Inherently, the word "we" signifies I am not just speaking about myself.

All I'm expressing is my opinion on it, so no need to get nasty here. Murder no, it would've changed the game, yes, but I still believe we could have won. And no not murder, I think yellow card would be fair because of the provocation. Same thing happened Scotland v Samoa with the stamp, Scottish blindside could've been sent off, in fact it was probably much worse than the punch, but he got yellow!

LOL would like to hear from you next time a french is using a "bit of aggression" against an Irish...I will hear "dirty scum" all the way, I'm used to it.

Probably, but if an Irishman provoked it, I'd call him a dumbass. O'Brien was stupid for reacting like that, but I can understand why he's done it, not saying it was right, but walk in his shoes a bit and it becomes less shocking

Last edited:
No I'm saying we had a fantastic bench, and a highly disciplined team that would've made it difficult for the French regardless, though fatigue could be an issue, but the French weren't creating much anyway
Well, one could easily argue the French weren't creating much because they didn't have the 100kg advantage in every ruck, maul, scrum and line, like they should have.

All I'm expressing is my opinion on it, so no need to get nasty here.
Fair enough, apologies.

Murder no, it would've changed the game, yes, but I still believe we could have won.
That's a chance the French will never have now and Ireland got away with the better end of speculating.

And no not murder, I think yellow card would be fair because of the provocation.
Not according to the rules. Punch is a red, regardless of provocation.

Same thing happened Scotland v Samoa with the stamp, Scottish blindside could've been sent off, in fact it was probably much worse than the punch, but he got yellow!
I disagree with what the ref did there but you have to understand they are not the same offense. What O'Brien did falls under 10.4 (a). What the Scottish player did does not.

A stamp out at a player holding you and a punch at a player holding you? In all honesty the stamp was more damaging wasn't it? Sometimes I feel the letter of the law needs to be a little loose.

I'm very glad it wasn't a red, but in this world cup I think had Owens seen it, he might've given red or yellow. I do see a retrospective ban being given here, probably for 2 matches and hopefully only 1, basically saying that yes it should've been red, although who knows with the way citing commissioners have gone about their work

Very true re the chance the French won't have, and yes it would make a difference. O'Brien was retarded, I wont deny that. And I hope he learns from it, but this Pape guy is getting a bit of a bad reputation too... and he doesn't seem to be stopping does he? Thats a completely side note by the way, not justifying anything.

Again a valid point we'll never know, but the French game of keeping it tight in the most part, they wouldn't have capitalised on the extra man out wide like an Australian or All Blacks team would have. Every player participates in rucks these days, mauls could've been an advantage but Toner & Henderson were phenomenal at disrupting them, and it's likely Tommy Bowe would've been added to Flanker on the scrums to compensate the French pack, and make them use wider channels if they wanted to be effective, something they dont like to do under PSA

Punch.PNG
Punch 2.PNG
Because this conversation is happening here I thought I would post these as well. It's a shirt grab, no fingers going up anywhere. It is also (to me) a definite fist. In my opinion quite a significant over reaction by SOB, his first acknowledgement he shows of being held was to swing, no attempts to brush him off. Don't know what came over him but definitely a rush of blood to the head if there ever was one.

And going down to 14 men can galvanise a team, Ulster held on with 14 men for 77 minutes vs Saracens a few years ago, and we weren't far off taking the W either, so by no means does it guarantee a change in result!

Maybe your memory is hazy....

15 men Saracens held on for for 77 minutes against 14 man Ulster to eek out the win is my recollection!!

View attachment 4028
View attachment 4029
Because this conversation is happening here I thought I would post these as well. It's a shirt grab, no fingers going up anywhere. It is also (to me) a definite fist. In my opinion quite a significant over reaction by SOB, his first acknowledgement he shows of being held was to swing, no attempts to brush him off. Don't know what came over him but definitely a rush of blood to the head if there ever was one.

Good. Maybe that'll put the stupid rumours to bed. In the great scheme of things, O'Brien's offence doesn't seem that bad, but I think his coach is only going to make matters worse for him. The law on this is clear, without any dubiety, so his best bet is to manup and say, "I did it."

Latest posts