• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toby Flood serious injury

He did the same thing v Canada, there is a gif of it on Balls.ie
Dirty ******* knew exactly what he was doing.

dantouhy.gif

Picture doesn't look good for Tuohy especially when you consider the footage of Ireland's game versus Canada. Without seeing video footage of this incident it's hard to prove intent. Pictures can be misleading. Like this one.....

782484.jpg

Picture doesn't look good for Tuohy especially when you consider the footage of Ireland's game versus Canada. Without seeing video footage of this incident it's hard to prove intent. Pictures can be misleading. Like this one.....

View attachment 2448

True but that looks pretty damning. Add that to that gif, which is pretty brutal and there is a definate case to answer.

Anyone know how, if theyre different at all, citings work in pre season games seeing as theyre not televised and all.

Ah now, maybe I wouldn't be saying this if he wasn't an Ulster player but that's a lot of judgement based on one still photo that doesn't show the point of contact and one previous incident. You look on the Leicester board, you see people remarking that that there was no reaction from the players and one Tigers fan calling it an accident. Leicester have said they'll review footage and cite if they believe its due, I'll wait for that before I judge too much. The forearm fend is illegal, and illegal for a reason, but it's really common place and would gone completely ignored if Flood hadn't got poleaxed. The Canada gif does the rounds - but there was no sin binning or citing from that. Long ban? Each to their own, it would be massively inconsistent however.

Anyway, here's hoping Flood recovers quickly and fully.

Peat I'm not really all that bothered by leading with the forearm, it's done at all levels to protect the ball carriers own face.
Most of the time it's not really done in a dirty way at all.
I had never seen that gif before, and was really just making the point that that's not actually leading with the forearm.
He actually swung his elbow round and struck the Canadian 13 in the face with his elbow.
That is most definitely intentional, if that's what he did to Flood then I think he is definitely deserving of a long ban.
Using the point of your elbow to strike someone is incredibly dangerous, you can generate a lot of power doing that particularly when in full flight.

Ah now, maybe I wouldn't be saying this if he wasn't an Ulster player but that's a lot of judgement based on one still photo that doesn't show the point of contact and one previous incident. You look on the Leicester board, you see people remarking that that there was no reaction from the players and one Tigers fan calling it an accident. Leicester have said they'll review footage and cite if they believe its due, I'll wait for that before I judge too much. The forearm fend is illegal, and illegal for a reason, but it's really common place and would gone completely ignored if Flood hadn't got poleaxed. The Canada gif does the rounds - but there was no sin binning or citing from that. Long ban? Each to their own, it would be massively inconsistent however.

Anyway, here's hoping Flood recovers quickly and fully.

That doesn't mean that it's right when it gets ignored when the injury isn't serious.

The forearm/elbow smash on Ciaran Hearn should have been a penalty to Canada and try disallowed, and Hearn went down like it hurt as well even if he was lucky not to get seriously injured.

Also there is no citing commissioner at pre season games, reports say that Leicester would have to make a complaint about the incident for anything to happen.

..... say that Leicester would have to make a complaint about the incident for anything to happen.

.................and suely would have done so by now if they felt there was cause to do so? Surely the time has passed now when they can make any complaint anyway?

.................and suely would have done so by now if they felt there was cause to do so? Surely the time has passed now when they can make any complaint anyway?

Unless they have not gone public with the complaint. They are usually very good at keeping their politics quiet ...right? ;)

Beat me to it Draggs.

Although so far its been Liecesters backs coach, not Cockitall, who has been talking to the press about Flood. Maybe they're trying to keep he-who-must-be-obeyed out of the spotlight for a bit.

Well Cockers has had a wee rant about it in the Torygraph you'll all be delighted to hear, but no citing was received by the RFU, so nothing doing.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/04/leicester-toby-blood-worcester

The Leicester fly-half Toby Flood will miss his club's Premiership opener against Worcester at Welford Road on Sunday. The England international was concussed after a high tackle on him during Saturday's friendly victory against Ulster. The 28‑year‑old subsequently underwent tests and scans at Leicester royal infirmary, which confirmed no further damage. "He was concussed, but there are no broken bones and all the scans are clear, so that's all good," the Leicester rugby director, Richard Cockerill, said. "We will stand him down for this weekend because on medical advice that was the right thing to do. We will integrate him back into rugby next week, and he may well play against Bath [on 14 September].

If not, certainly against Newcastle the following weekend. "We want our best players out on the field, but we will just get on with things without Toby."

At least nothing was broken. More from Cockerill here:

Flood was knocked out after receiving a blow from Ulster lock Dan Tuohy during last weekend’s friendly against Ulster. Cockerill said: “It wasn’t a hand-off, it was a forearm smash, and if they are serious about their concerns over concussion then they have to deal with these sort of things.â€

Cockerill is serving a nine-game match-day ban for using abuse towards an official over another incident involving a head injury to Flood during last season’s Premiership final against Northampton at Twickenham when the fly-half was felled by a tackle from Courtney Lawes.

“Somebody leading with their elbow and smashing a bloke straight in the face is what they should be concerned about rather than being worried about people saying naughty words.

"It is these sort of things that will stop little Johnny coming to mini-rugby on a Sunday morning. Once again, our playmaker has been hit and we have lost him from the game. It is illegal. You would expect the powers-that-be to have a look at that.â€

There has been correspondence between Leicester and the Rugby Football Union over the matter but no formal proceedings have yet taken place.

Tuohy was shown the yellow card by referee Tim Wigglesworth, but there was no citing commissioner at the game as it was a pre-season match. “We have yet to receive any formal citing from Leicester,†said an RFU spokesman on Tuesday.

Flood will spend the week at home before returning to training next week. He was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary after needing oxygen on the pitch before being taken off on a stretcher. He was released on Saturday night.

“You can’t be too careful when there are potentially serious consequences with an injury,†said Cockerill. “At Leicester we will always take the cautious, conservative view.

"It is disappointing to lose Toby but his long-term health is far more important than any short-term considerations. The scans are clear but there will still be protocols to go through.

"We would hope to reintegrate him next week with the chance of playing against Bath but certainly against Newcastle the following week.â€

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-on-foul-play-involving-head-injuries-after-T

I absolutely agree with him in this case when he says "
“Somebody leading with their elbow and smashing a bloke straight in the face is what they should be concerned about rather than being worried about people saying naughty words."

I know this isn't the place for the 'concussion' debate (there's still a thread around here somewhere on the subject, I think), but that should be a primary concern in this sort of foul play. The NFL just settled a multi-million dollar suit with former players who suffered head injuries, which should be a wake-up call for all contact sports. If foul play that leads to head injury isn't properly dealt with by the powers-that-be could legal action eventually be taken against the sport? The US is definitely a more litigious society than the rest of the world, but that could always change. For the long-term safety of players and the longevity of the sport I think they really need to start taking hits like this more seriously. I do hope that Tuohy faces some sort of discipline, but the further we get from the incident the less likely anything will be done.

das

Well Cockers has had a wee rant about it in the Torygraph you'll all be delighted to hear, but no citing was received by the RFU, so nothing doing.

You seem to share the prevailling opinion that Cockerill should keep his mouth shut, but you keep making comments like these suggesting we're overreacting to it, or being petty.

The guy has made a public complaint about something at every turn over the past six months.
And he keeps making comments that show that he hasn't accepted his ban at all, and that he thinks Lawes' tackle was illegal and was the cause of Flood's concussion in the final. (""Somebody leading with their elbow and smashing a bloke straight in the face is what they should be concerned about rather than being worried about people saying naughty words.", " Once again, our playmaker has been hit and we have lost him from the game.")
As long as the guy keeps being a **** in public, people will say so.

I happen to agree with him that elbows to face should be dealt with severely (who wouldn't?) but yet again he has made his point in an unnecessarily downtrodden and arrogant manner.

Last edited:
Saw Toby at the game v Warriors today and you'd never know he had been injured. What's the lay-off for concussion nowadays anyway?

Saw Toby at the game v Warriors today and you'd never know he had been injured. What's the lay-off for concussion nowadays anyway?

From what I understand there's no predefined lay-off length, instead it's up to the doctors to assess the player and deem when he's fit to return. So in theory a player could return straight away if it's deemed OK by a doctor, or he can be out for a number of weeks.

I think it was changed from the previous 2 weeks mandatory lay-off, because players used that as a rule and returned after 2 weeks without getting proper medical advice if they were OK to do so, especially in lower leagues.

One would assume that being knocked out for 12 minutes means that the layoff would be longer than usual.

One would assume that being knocked out for 12 minutes means that the layoff would be longer than usual.

That depends if the length of time you're unconscious directly correlates to the amount of bruising on the brain, and how long it takes for that bruising to heal. I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea really.

Latest posts