• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tom Marshall to stay in NZ?

I have no idea, about Marshall I remember when he made his debut at SR. I thought he would become an AB quickly but now I'm a little disappointed, he's under Milner-Skudder and James Lowe ATM

I have no idea, about Marshall I remember when he made his debut at SR. I thought he would become an AB quickly but now I'm a little disappointed, he's under Milner-Skudder and James Lowe ATM

He's a little bit more versatile than those two though. He can play anywhere from 10 to 15 ... I think why no one has mentioned him as a possible (but not likely) All Black, is that he'd already made up his mind to go overseas already

He's a little bit more versatile than those two though. He can play anywhere from 10 to 15 ... I think why no one has mentioned him as a possible (but not likely) All Black, is that he'd already made up his mind to go overseas already

I see him more as a Caleb Ralph kind of player. I don't think he's good enough for the All Blacks and I don't think he'll ever reach that point, to be honest.

But he's the kind of player we really want to keep around. A Super Rugby team can't have All Blacks/future All Blacks in every position, but Marshall is the kind of guy that isn't going to be made to look stupid by anyone.

I see him more as a Caleb Ralph kind of player. I don't think he's good enough for the All Blacks and I don't think he'll ever reach that point, to be honest.

But he's the kind of player we really want to keep around. A Super Rugby team can't have All Blacks/future All Blacks in every position, but Marshall is the kind of guy that isn't going to be made to look stupid by anyone.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes, losing these kinds of players is precisely the problem that the SA sides are experiencing and many just don't get it. Most SA fans are quick to say that "oh, he isn't a Bok and never will be. He's only taking up the spot of a youngster who might one day make it" and to some etent that is fair enough but we have 5 franchizes and soon it'll be 6 and there is more than enough space for current Bokke, fringe test players, up and coming youngsters and the Rob Ebersohn, Wynand Olivier, Andries Bekker, Rory Kockott, Josh Strauss, Craig Burden etc type players who are good SR players, might fill a gap for the Bokke if we are experiencing big hits in one position etc. The youth can fill in around these guys and even if they vie for the same spot the SRseason is now long and injury and rotation will happen. I feel it is also important the younsters play in as competitive a team as possible as it is easier to find your feet and mature in a better team. We'll probably continue seeing the top 3/4 teams hoarding the SA talent and the bottom 2 being little more than feeders.

NZ has stayed ahead of the drain through good management and an embarrasment of talent till now. I think SA has made a few good calls this year through bringing in central contracts but I think the trends are already too set for it to make much of a difference. We have some unique political issues to deal with as well..

Last edited:
I hope he does make it, pretty solid player, great awareness too. Good thing is he's still young (24?) so could be in contention given he doesn't fall through on staying in NZ for the year, and also keep his form ofc :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is a tough call - the selectors have given the likes of Frank Halai, Francis Saili and Tom Taylor game time in the last couple of seasons to no avail (all of these are leaving too). You never know how a player will handle test rugby but only giving a verbal interest isn't enough to make a player stay. A player needs at least a season to find his feet ala Piutau and Fekitoa

Latest posts