• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tongan rugby

Ben Tameifuna linked with Racing Metro

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-to-join-dan-carter-at-racing-metro-in-france

As the Tongan Performance manager stated last yr Tameifuna couldnt go on tour because of contract restrictions. NZRFU assured the IRB Tameifuna was in there plans and being contracted to them He couldnt be released. This is good news for Tonga as I think this confirms he wont opt for NZ even if he is selected. Now just waiting on Nasi Manu

Recent news concerning Tonga rugby
Tonga A finished 5th ahead of Japan Juniors in the PRC very disappointing result.The good thing is some players have sure put their hands up for World Cup selection, names to mention Loose forwards Jack Ram, Frank Havea. Tonga 7's are in Hong Kong ready to compete for core team status, this is by far the most prepared team to date, best of luck to them. Ikale Tahi will commence camp for RWC in Tonga in July. Nasi Manu will be leaving to Scotland on a two year contract with Edinburgh, this allows him to be available for Tonga in the world-cup.

Squad for Pacific Nations Cup
Team List:
Prop - Tevita Mailau
Prop - Sona Taumalolo
Prop - Soane Tonga'uiha
Prop - Siua Halanukonuka
Prop - Halani 'Aulika
Prop - Sila Puafisi
Hooker - Elvis Taione
Hooker - Kalafi Pongi
Hooker - Sosefo Sakalia
Lock - Tukulua Lokotui
Lock - Uili Kolo'ofa'i
Lock - Joseph Tu'ineau
Back Row - Steve Mafi
Back Row - Hale T Pole
Back Row - Viliami Fihaki
Back Row - Nili Latu
Back Row - Opeti Fonua
Back Row - Viliami Ma'afu
Halfback - Sonatane Takulua
Halfback - Taniela Moa
Halfback - Sosefo Ma'ake
First-five - Latiume Fosita
First-five - Kurt Morath
First-five - Martin Naufahu
Centres - Sione Piukala
Centres - 'Alipate Fatafehi
Centres - Siale Piutau
Outside Back - 'Otulea Katoa
Outside Back - Fetu'u Vainikolo
Outside Back - Telusa Veainu
Outside Back - Vungakoto Lilo
MANAGEMENT
Sioape Tuiono – Team Manager & TRU Vice President
Peter Harding – High Performance Manager
Mana Otai – Head Coach
Tevita Tuifua - Assistant Coach
Jim Mackay – Technical Advisor Attack Coach: Former Wallabies Attack Coach
Mavae Otumuli – Team Physio
Robert Naish – Team Physio 2: Former Western Force
Dr. Fakaosi Pifeleti – Team Doctor
Scott Anderson – Video Analyst 1: Former Western Force
Joh Elswijk Fifita – Video Analyst 2
Marco Caputo – Scrum Coach:Former Leinster/Brumbies Scrum Coach
Semisi Fonua – Strength & Conditioner
Kyle Willoughby – Media Manager
The team will meet in Tonga in early July for a training camp before departing for Suva to take on Fiji in the first of their three pool matches for the Pacific Nations Cup.

Last edited:
Last edited:
so much presssure but the players not even named, and coach says "I think there are three!!!!????? " looks like another hairy fairy piece of solid journalism!!!! at least we are giving the boys a good standard of living with an excellent wage more than a lot of others places!!!!!
i love that idea that the Castres Capt (his name is Rodrego Capo Ortega by the way) was FORCED to retire, wonder what he thinks about that!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Three France based players pressured to withdraw from the squad:
http://www.radionz.co.nz/internatio...port-tonga-rugby-coach-forced-to-change-squad

That's a huge shame.
With that, and the Uruguayan captain being made to retire from international rugby by his club (Castres?), the IRB really need to do something about this.

yes of course the president of the tongian's federationadvertise about this and add the 3 guys from samoa. strangely, fiji doesn't look like they have that kind of president, i mean they have their full force team for the pnc.

even with these withdrawals, the tongian team doesn't look bad, but i doubt they can do something against fiji at home

It's a shame re Nasi Manu.

Jake White will be awesome for the Ikale Tahi, I'd rather win ugly than play pretty but lose. Manu Samoa had Coventry and Aussie McLean in 2011, and the set pieces were so much better and the team played structured but allowed to do their own thing when necessary. Seta Tamanivalu may even be interested in Tonga, I'm guessing he's a Fijian with some Tongan ancestry.

Would be nice if Sona Taumalolo was there, and if Alando Soakai was eligible I'd pick him. One of the rare islander 7s who are true fetchers.

dissapinting news for Tonga Nasi Manu wants to hold on for a call up in 3 years to represent Scotland.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2015/07/edinburgh-new-signing-nasi-manu-open-to-scotland-call/
Never actually knew he wanted to play for Scotland. But to be honest i think he would fit into the Tongan team alot better than our team. But if he was to play for us atleast not only will he give us his defensive shift. As a captain off the highlanders he can also give us leadership which Scotland needs.

Never actually knew he wanted to play for Scotland. But to be honest i think he would fit into the Tongan team alot better than our team. But if he was to play for us atleast not only will he give us his defensive shift. As a captain off the highlanders he can also give us leadership which Scotland needs.

Massive boost to any side very unlucky not to have got an All Black cap, But with Kieran Read, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Victor Vito, and Liam Messam it was abit of a log jam in the backrow department. At only 26 we may have yet to see the best of him.

The Tongan coach has said they are still in contact with up to 15 players to join the squad before the World Cup hopefully Nasi Manu changes his mind.

Whats up with Sami Fisilau? Why isn't he in the team?

Whats up with Sami Fisilau? Why isn't he in the team?

Probably declined to join the squad or fell out of Favor with the coach. Taniela Moa, Sonatane Takalua, Wayne Ngaluafe who have all played the equivalent or a higher level of Rugby are with the squad. I would rate Moa and Takalua above Fisilau havnt seen too much of Ngaluafe, but hes been involved with the Auckland blues and plays for the AUckland ITM CUP side

Last edited:
Probably declined to join the squad or fell out of Favor with the coach. Taniela Moa, Sonatane Takalua, Wayne Ngaluafe who have all played the equivalent or a higher level of Rugby are with the squad. I would rate Moa and Takalua above Fisilau havnt seen too much of Ngaluafe, but hes been involved with the Auckland blues and plays for the AUckland ITM CUP side

I agree toko. Takulua is in solid form atm, is Moa injured though?

I agree toko. Takulua is in solid form atm, is Moa injured though?

I've heard Moa left the squad because of the Injury. I'm not sure if hes ruled out of the World Cup though. Which is a huge loss in my opinion. Takalua is more than capable I just think his passing game and kicking game isnt as strong as Moa's, He does make up for it with his speed to the breakdown and support play.

I've heard Moa left the squad because of the Injury. I'm not sure if hes ruled out of the World Cup though. Which is a huge loss in my opinion. Takalua is more than capable I just think his passing game and kicking game isnt as strong as Moa's, He does make up for it with his speed to the breakdown and support play.

I agree I hope both Moa and Takulua make it to the WC squad. Came across this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MeuL3d0nlE ....... looks superb and great for the Island countries!

Last edited:

Latest posts