• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tongan rugby

IKALETAHI

Academy Player
Country Flag
Tonga
Club or Nation
Tonga
Great news for Tonga Rugby today with alot of top players making themselves available for the end of year tour (possibly the strongest Squad Tonga has had since 2011) and Jake White offering to Assist Tonga on this tour. Jake White was recruited by Tongan National coach Mana Otai. Hopefully the IRB can help keep him with Tonga for next years World Cup.

http://www.nzkanivapacific.co.nz/20...ke-white-offers-help-ikale-tahi/#.VDs6vxauTkF

'IKALE TAHI SQUAD LIST FOR EUROPE 2014

PROPS
1. Alisona Taumalolo - Ha'akame - Racing Metro France
2. Halani Aulika - Angaha/'Eua - London Irish UK
3. Tevita Mailau - Felemea/'Otea Vava'u - Monte-De-Marsan France
4. Taione Vea - Hihifo Tongatapu - London Welsh UK
5. Sila Paufisi - Ha'ateiho/Mo'ung'one - Gloucester UK

HOOKERS
6. Vaea Taione - Nukunuku - Exeter Chiefs UK
7. Paula Ngauamo - Vaini - Oyonnax France
8. Aleki Lutui - Tofoa - Gloucester UK

LOCKS
9. Tukulua Lokotui - Ha'ateiho/Mo'ung'one - Beziers France
10. Joseph Tu'ineau - Fasi Mo E Afi - Lyon France
11. Lisiate Fa'aoso - Kolonga - Bayonne France
12. Hale Pole - Fua'amotu - Otago, NZ

BACKROWS
13. Nili Latu - Afaa - NEC Rockets Japan
14. Amanaki Lelei Mafi - Ha'asini/Houmakelikao - NTT Com Japan
15. Viliami Fihaki - Nukunuku - Sale Sharks UK
16. Sione Kalamafoni - Matahau - Gloucester UK
17. Maama Vaipulu - Vava'u - Countries Manukau NZ
18. Viliami Ma'afu - Longolongo/Kolovai - Oyonnax France

HALFBACKS
19. Sonatane Takulua - Lapaha/Dargaville - Northland NZ
20. Tomasi Palu - Kolomotu'a - Doncaster UK
21. Taniela Moa - Angaha 'Eua - Pau France

FIRST FIVE
22. Latiume Fosita - Felemea Ha'apai - Northland NZ
23. Kurt Morath - Leimatu'a Vava'u - Taranaki NZ
24. Liueli Simote - Neiafu Vava'u - Toloa Old Boys Tonga

BACKS
25. Sione Piukala - Futu 'Eua/Houma - Perpignan France
26. Siale Piutau - Folaha Kolofo'ou - Yamaha Japan
27. Fetu'u Vainikolo - Ha'alalo - Exeter Chiefs UK
28. Daniel Kiloni - Havelu - Grenoble UK
29. Otulea Katoa - Havelu - Southland NZ
30. David Halafonua - Falaleu Vava'u - Bergerac France
31. Vungakolo Lilo - Koulo/Foa Ha'apai - Tarbes France

MANAGEMENT
Sioape Tuiono - Manager
Mana Otai - Head Coach
Siua Taumalolo - Assistant Coach
Michael Casey - Assistant Coach
Jake White - Tech Assistant
Dr. Faka'osi Pifeleti - Doctor
Mavae Otumuli - Physio
Tim Gray - Physio
Semisi Fonua - S&C
Lano Fonua - Logistics Manager
Declean Orloff - Video Analysis
Peter Harding - HPM

That's great news and good to see a lot senior players back. Kurt Morath is also back.

Good luck to Tonga and it certainly is good news so many senior players are on board. Best of luck also with White. I am sure he has a lot of technical expertise to offer Tonga and if that can complement Tonga's 'natural game' then watch out. I am just concerned his 'personality' might become a problem long term.

Is it my impression or there is a collaboration between South Africa and Tonga ? Last year Chester Williams asked me if I knew some company interested to support Tonga as sponsor for last year european tour,this year Jake White is Tonga's coach assistant

Nooooooo, Uruguay needs Jake White

Is it my impression or there is a collaboration between South Africa and Tonga ? Last year Chester Williams asked me if I knew some company interested to support Tonga as sponsor for last year european tour,this year Jake White is Tonga's coach assistant

Do you personally met Chester?

Chris Hala'ufia replaces Amanaki Mafi who has chosen to play for Japan. Was hoping Mafi would choose Tonga.

He must have thought he had no chance of getting game time with Kalamafoni and Fihaki ahead of him. Chris Hala'ufia is not a bad addition he would add some mongrol to the backrow. My concern here is only two centres were named.

Seems that way. Not really surprised Tameifina is playing for Tonga. What's interesting is to see how long it is before he goes to France now.

This will be an interesting one for Tonga. One thing I understand is this tour for Tonga is do or die for Head Coach Mana Otai. It's how well they perform which will determine the coaches future, if he is the right guy to see Tonga through to the RWC. In terms of the players they will be looking to perform to the best of their abilities to give them every chance of selection for next year. With all the these rumours of Tongan Rugby Union in turmoil of recent weeks, I say can only be the greatest motivation to perform well. A very capable squad will be looking for 3 from 3.

Jake White kills creative rugby, this would be terrible for Tonga. Who wants to see them turn into the Brumbies?

It could be really good for them actually. The PI nations in general need a bit more anglo saxon type structure to their game. Tongas win against France in the 11' world cup is a great testament to this. I would say that tonga's main strength is in the pack, they actually produce some really decent front rowers. If they can build some structure, discipline and have a halfback pairing that can put them in the correct field positions then they can really start to compete. Of course player availability is still a massive problem for them in particular of all the tier 2 countries from what i've seen.

It could be really good for them actually. The PI nations in general need a bit more anglo saxon type structure to their game. Tongas win against France in the 11' world cup is a great testament to this. I would say that tonga's main strength is in the pack, they actually produce some really decent front rowers. If they can build some structure, discipline and have a halfback pairing that can put them in the correct field positions then they can really start to compete. Of course player availability is still a massive problem for them in particular of all the tier 2 countries from what i've seen.

Your exactly right there generally we need some old school structure.
If we can find the right mix of structure rugby and our natural flair rugby we can see results go our way.

Tameifuna has just walked out on Tonga and has set himself a April deadline, to see if he is in contention for the Black jersey.
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/all-blacks-tonga-ben-tameifuna-sets-april-deadline-6120354

My thoughts on this is fair enough he has dream of wearing the Silver Fern, but it is truly sad news for the growth of Tongan Rugby. Then we come to the question are most of the guys in the Tongan Squad there because it was their first choice? Tonga seriously need to build a sense of nationalism for young Tongan rugby players a sense of pride and honour in the jersey. This will be and increasing problem our national team will face ,with Players looking only to add "Played in the Rugby World Cup" to their résumé" and despair for the next four years. As a proud Tongan fan I do not not wish that our team is seen in this way. What we want is committed players patriotic for our future kids to grow up and aspire to follow.

Tameifuna has just walked out on Tonga and has set himself a April deadline, to see if he is in contention for the Black jersey.
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/all-blacks-tonga-ben-tameifuna-sets-april-deadline-6120354

My thoughts on this is fair enough he has dream of wearing the Silver Fern, but it is truly sad news for the growth of Tongan Rugby. Then we come to the question are most of the guys in the Tongan Squad there because it was their first choice? Tonga seriously need to build a sense of nationalism for young Tongan rugby players a sense of pride and honour in the jersey. This will be and increasing problem our national team will face ,with Players looking only to add "Played in the Rugby World Cup" to their résumé" and despair for the next four years. As a proud Tongan fan I do not not wish that our team is seen in this way. What we want is committed players patriotic for our future kids to grow up and aspire to follow.

It sounds like an excuse, to be honest.

His best chance of making the AB's has been and gone, and his next best chance will be immediately after the World Cup where potentially Crockett, Woodcock and Ben Franks will move on (though more likely only one or two of them).

Unless there are a slew of injuries he isn't going to be in the All Blacks by the World Cup, in which case he might as well play for Tonga now.

If Tameifuna seriously wants and AB's jersey the only thing standing in the way is himself. He has the potential to be an exceptional TH prop IMO - he just needs to get motivated, get fitter, and lose some weight. He's never going to be a small prop, but if he could get down to the late 120kgs he could be a world class TH.

Sadly I don't think we will ever see him reach his potential.

My problem with Tameifuna is this. He's given himself until the next RWC to make the All Blacks. I can say right now, it's not going to happen. He would need to have a massive off season to shed a lot of weight, and then have a stellar Super Rugby season, and then hope to hell the All Blacks coaches and selectors are feeling experimental this close to the RWC.

Personally, I think he could be far and away the best TH prop in New Zealand, and I'd even go as far to say I think he's a bit harshly criticized for his weight. But he knows what he has to do and he just doesn't seem to do it. Faumuina is not at all my favorite prop when it comes to scrummaging, but it's pretty clear that after being dropped he worked his ass off to get in the best shape possible, and then had a great few matches for the All Blacks. I'd go as far to say that Tameifuna is the best carrying prop in New Zealand, one of the hardest tackling players in New Zealand, and one of the most solid scrummagers in New Zealand. He just needs to buckle down, and I think this ultimatum that he has given himself is just unrealistic. He just turned 23 years old, he should not be so ready to give and and play for Tonga in the next RWC, if he has dreams of making the All Blacks. If he worked hard and still missed the RWC, he'll still only be 24 years old, and probably benefit from a lot of props going overseas. If he works extremely hard he could well still get 100 games for the All Blacks.

Tonga squad to play Georgia

1.Tevita Mailaul
2.Aleki Lutui
3.Sila Puafisi
4.Lua Lokotui
5.Joe Tu'ineau
6.Sione Kalamafoni
7.Nili Latu
8.Viliami Ma'afu
9.Sonatane Tukulua
10.Kurt Morath
11.Fetu'u Vainikolo
12.Hemani Paea
13.Siale Piutau
14.David Halaifonua
15.Vunga Lilo

16.Elivs Taione
17.Siua Halanukonuka
18.Paea Fa'anunu
19.Lisiate Fa'aoso
20.Hale T-pole
21.Taniela Moa
22.Latiume Fosita
23.Otulea Katoa

Player that have pulled of tour due to injuries, personal reasons and contract issues:
Ben Tameifuna
Sona Taumalolo
Maama Vaipulu
Halani Aulika
Taione Vea
Chris Hala'ufia

Latest posts