• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Over-hyped rugby players

Jonah's awesome try scoring record against SA. That is a big FAT ZERO. He did what half of the WC could not do. Stopped a player twice his size from scoring in a 100 minutes of rugby.

Now who's smoking?

Lomu never scored against SA in all the matches he played against them because the Springboks adopted a tactic of paying him extra attention, often double teaming. However, that tactic may have led to tries being scored by other players.

In any case, not scoring against SA is no big deal. Lomu failed to dot down against Wales either, even though be played 3 games against them

Last edited:
Now who's smoking?

Lomu never scored against SA in all the matches he played against them because the Springboks adopted a tactic of paying him extra attention, often double teaming. However, that tactic may have led to tries being scored by other players.

In any case, not scoring against SA is no big deal. Lomu failed to dot down against Wales either, even though be played 3 games against them

Yes, but I think you're missing the point, All throughout the world cup in 95, Lomu Demolished everything in his path, Mike Catt being the most memorable one, and when it was the final, Lomu tried his utmost best to do the same to little David, but David showed everyone that he is not afraid of the big Goliath... It like it was written in a book long ago...

Now who's smoking?

I thought the tactic of tackling was invented ages ago?

Oh one last thing who was the leading try scorer in the 1996 Super 12 Competition? I can't remember.

Yes, but I think you're missing the point, All throughout the world cup in 95, Lomu Demolished everything in his path, Mike Catt being the most memorable one, and when it was the final, Lomu tried his utmost best to do the same to little David, but David showed everyone that he is not afraid of the big Goliath... It like it was written in a book long ago...
And how did we enjoy that one. SA public did not like Mike Catt very much.

Am I the only one who's getting this weird mental image in my head. Every time Cave Dweller and Smartcooky argues it's like these two old guys sitting at the bar at the local pub. (we all know them) getting absolutely sloshed and shouting at each other?

Am I the only one who's getting this weird mental image in my head. Every time Cave Dweller and Smartcooky argues it's like these two old guys sitting at the bar at the local pub. (we all know them) getting absolutely sloshed and shouting at each other?
I am not paying you to suck my penis no way

I don't drink alcohol, so it can't be me.

Oh one last thing who was the leading try scorer in the 1996 Super 12 Competition? I can't remember.

Yes you do, it was James Small (13), and his team-mate Andre Joubert (11) wasn't far behind

But as you will realise, rugby is a TEAM game... which TEAM scored the most tries..... and I do remember, it was Auckland. (68 tries) ahead of Natal (56 tries)

Small and Joubert and Jeremy Thomson (7 tries) scored 31 tries between them, that's over half Natal's total.... so what were the rest of the ~30 players doing?

Last edited:
I don't drink alcohol, so it can't be me.

Yes you do, it was James Small (13), and his team-mate Andre Joubert (10) wasn't far behind

But as you will realise, rugby is a TEAM game... which TEAM scored the most tries..... and I do remember, it was Auckland. (68 tries) ahead of Natal (56 tries)

Small and Joubert and Jeremy Thomson (7 tries) scored 31 tries between them, that's over half Natal's total.... so what were the rest of the ~30 players doing?
And suddenly the non recorded stats appear. MAGIC!

The other half help created those tries.

Did you hear what he said or did you made that decision on hearsay based on opinions from the papers? He was a bad boy off the field but WTF cares? Its his private life none of anyones business yhe same as yours is not anyones business. So your opinion is not on the field based but you did not like his public image. ThanksWell I know what made Jeff Wilson great his all round abilities. You are the first one to mention those btw better than just the tries and test matches. We all know try stats do not actually tell you anything about the player as a wing can do nothing out wide and just take the last scoring passes. But Wilson was a great all rounder. Now coming back to the Small issue. He would never have a great strike rate nor score as many as Jeff Wilson because SA and NZ played two totally different games. NZ played the more expansive game and utilizing space very well. Totally the opposite what we did as we played what has worked for us most of the time and that is the tactical kicking game and shutting space down as quickly as possible as well as not letting teams play the way they want to play. 95 He was the man marking Lomu when I say marking him I mean marking him like following him around. NZ did use Jonah as a decoy and catching him out of position but he scrambled very well and did what he does well and that is shutting space down and his good all round game. He was solid and yes NZ think he is totally **** because he has not scored a single point against them. To score 20 something tries in 42 games considering the time he played and the style it is pretty good. He did what he suppose to do and did it very well. For his efforts he got a winning WC medal and started off with the other 14 players Jonah's awesome try scoring record against SA. That is a big FAT ZERO. He did what half of the WC could not do. Stopped a player twice his size from scoring in a 100 minutes of rugby.

Yeah I wasn't saying Small was a bad player or anything, nobody thinks he is ****, just maybe not as highly regarded as you guys hold him. But I can understand it since he did defend Jonah well in the final in '95 so that one game obviously has helped his legacy for SA fans. You just compared him to Wilson which wasn't a good comparison to make as Wilson was obviously the better player.

Seriously. What are you smoking? Can't compare Cullen with Small. Cullen make the modern players look pedestrian. Do we compare Habana with Shane Howarth?

Also, Cullen actually played against Small when they were both test players from '96 onwards (in tests and in Super 12), whereas I'm pretty sure Howarth was long retired from NZ rugby when Habana came on the scene so again, not a good comparison.

These arguments are always filled with the weaker, desperate side with no argument, always with Vicky Pollard "yeah but no but yeah but no but" arguments.

Never gonna get anywhere, always too proud to concede...

Woops sorry Cooky, my bad. Maybe two old guys sitting at BBQ then? ;)

Just trying to lighten the mood, sadly I can't participate in the discussion. Didn't care much for rugby in the early 90s on account of being a little kid. My first memory of rugby is the 1999 World Cup and Australia beating us, watched it on a tiny tv. **** wait no, I remember watching a match where Pienaar still played, against England. Dammit...

I mean history is interesting and extremely important, but really, arguing this much over it is kinda pointless imo. I've learned a few cool facts just from reading this thread, but sheesh, this arguing is getting a bit tedious, it's like Super 10 thread all over again. I'm not blaming anyone, I couldn't give two shits about who started what. Now I'll weakly attempt to get this thread back on track.

I think Pierre Spies was overhyped in 2009 (note, 2009), played amazingly well in the Super 14. Wow scored some epic tries, I still remember them. Everyone thought he was going to rip the Lions to shreds and destroy them single-handedly while kicking Chuck Norris' ass. Didn't really happen.

Kankowski was also really overhyped but failed to perform on an international level. Everyone said the All Blacks should fear him and the day SA decides to start him in the no.8 jersey.

I might get a bit of flak for this, but wasn't Quade Cooper hyped up a bit?

Let's see now... I remember from a while back everyone spoke really highly of Luke McAllister, never saw much of him.

Trying to think of an overhyped player from NH... I think B'OD deserves all the hype he got, great player even if he had his bad days. Chris Ashton, but just because I think he's a twat.

I might get a bit of flak for this, but wasn't Quade Cooper hyped up a bit?

Let's see now... I remember from a while back everyone spoke really highly of Luke McAllister, never saw much of him.

Mainly by the Aussie commentators who had never had that type of player on the scene over there before. He is basically a poor man's Carlos Spencer, same bag of tricks and everything. Yet the way they rave on about him you would think he invented no-look passing and all the flick passes and jump-stepping, which, as anyone in NZ knows, is done by half the kids playing touch footy at lunchtime at school and has been for years.

McAlister was one of those guys who had all the physical tools to be great but could never put it all together for very long. His attitude and some poor career decisions cost him. Turned out to be a pretty average AB in the end when he was hyped up to be someone who was going to be awesome.

Mainly by the Aussie commentators who had never had that type of player on the scene over there before. He is basically a poor man's Carlos Spencer, same bag of tricks and everything. Yet the way they rave on about him you would think he invented no-look passing and all the flick passes and jump-stepping, which, as anyone in NZ knows, is done by half the kids playing touch footy at lunchtime at school and has been for years.

McAlister was one of those guys who had all the physical tools to be great but could never put it all together for very long. His attitude and some poor career decisions cost him. Turned out to be a pretty average AB in the end when he was hyped up to be someone who was going to be awesome.
Lol absolutely! Heck I used to do that! Classic example of Aussies taking credit for kiwi talent. :lol: :p

Yeah I wasn't saying Small was a bad player or anything, nobody thinks he is ****, just maybe not as highly regarded as you guys hold him. But I can understand it since he did defend Jonah well in the final in '95 so that one game obviously has helped his legacy for SA fans. You just compared him to Wilson which wasn't a good comparison to make as Wilson was obviously the better player.
No wasn't comparing to Wilson. I used Wilson cause of his all round capabilities. Small maybe not as fleet footed was as solid and also versatile. That is why I brought up Wilson. Kirwan was better for anycase. Are we done?

Also, Cullen actually played against Small when they were both test players from '96 onwards (in tests and in Super 12), whereas I'm pretty sure Howarth was long retired from NZ rugby when Habana came on the scene so again, not a good comparison.
Em no. Cullen was something special. Wait let me rephrase that. He was ****ing AWESOME but you can not compare Small to him as Small did was needed with putting everything on the line. But he was way off Cullen's league. Just think the AB wasted him in the centers in 99.

No wasn't comparing to Wilson. I used Wilson cause of his all round capabilities. Small maybe not as fleet footed was as solid and also versatile. That is why I brought up Wilson. Kirwan was better for anycase. Are we done?

Em no. Cullen was something special. Wait let me rephrase that. He was ****ing AWESOME but you can not compare Small to him as Small did was needed with putting everything on the line. But he was way off Cullen's league. Just think the AB wasted him in the centers in 99.

You are all over the place.. First off you brought Wilson into the conversation as someone said all Small did was finish tries on the end of the chain, to which you replied "just like Wilson" or something to that effect. I then explained to you that he wasn't like Wilson at all so at comparison was invalid. So you clearly were making a comparison, but now you're saying you weren't?

Secondly, you said you can't compare Cullen to Small as it is unfair to compare Cullen to "old" players, backing that up with the reasoning you can't. compare Habana to Howarth (presumably due to the fact they were in different eras). I then pointed out Cullen and Small played test rugby and Super rugby against each other, and now you are changing the basis of not be unable to compare Cullen to Small because he is awesome?

Put a bit more out in before you post and you won't have to go back and contradict earlier poorly thought out points.

You are all over the place.. First off you brought Wilson into the conversation as someone said all Small did was finish tries on the end of the chain, to which you replied "just like Wilson" or something to that effect. I then explained to you that he wasn't like Wilson at all so at comparison was invalid. So you clearly were making a comparison, but now you're saying you weren't?

Secondly, you said you can't compare Cullen to Small as it is unfair to compare Cullen to "old" players, backing that up with the reasoning you can't. compare Habana to Howarth (presumably due to the fact they were in different eras). I then pointed out Cullen and Small played test rugby and Super rugby against each other, and now you are changing the basis of not be unable to compare Cullen to Small because he is awesome?

Put a bit more out in before you post and you won't have to go back and contradict earlier poorly thought out points.

Just wait bro. He'll post something interesting and entertainingly misguided soon. ;)

It'll be like red-herrings eating each other's tails, going in circles soon. :lol:

Latest posts