• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 2010/2011 season

Who will win and become French champions?

• Perpignan

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Clermont

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Racing Métro

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Toulon

• Castres

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toulouse

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other team

• Total voters
Expected more from the Aviron Bayonnais v ASM Clermont game. So far only penalties.

A good weekend of rugby from the Top 14 with several big wins.

Bayonne remain on top after a 18-16 win over defending champions Clermont in a boring kicking match on Friday. Napolioni Nalaga scored the only try of the match, but it wasn't enough to lift Clermont over the Basque club.

Montpellier continue to improve as they had no trouble taking down Castres. Tries from Geoffrey Doumayrou and Mamuka Gorgodze kept the match exciting as Montpellier kept Castres to four penalty kicks. Two conversions and two penalty kicks by winger Martin Bustos helped the club keep their distance with a final score of 23-12.

A distraught and dramatic Agen side faced a Toulon side looking to pick themselves up after a disappointing start to their campaign. Jonny Wilkinson contributed two tries, four conversions and a penalty kick in this match. Unsurprisingly, Toulon went on to win by 31 points, 41-10. Three tries by three separate players brought the total to five for Toulon and earned the club a bonus point. Agen will have to rethink their tactics after this one. I suggest playing Benjamin Petre next round.

Perpignan are back to their winning ways after defeating last place Bourgoin-Jallieu. There were two yellow cards in this match and for the most part it wasn't a pretty one to watch. Two tries from Farid Sid and one from Alexandre Dumoulin were the only exciting moments during this match. One of my favorite players, Jérôme Porical, kicked five penalties to lift his club by seven points; 27-20 the final score.

One of the biggest highlights of the weekend was the team effort by Racing-Métro in their 43-18 win over newcomers La Rochelle. A red card decided La Rochelle's fate in the end, but some excellent play from the Parisian club's bench made this one exciting as they scored three tries. Former Biarritz winger Sireli Bobo continues to impress as he scored a try in this one. I'll never forget the two amazing tries he scored against Border Reivers during the late Scottish Club's H-Cup visit to the Basque Country.

The most exciting match of the weekend was between Stade Français and Brive. This one was close and should not be missed. If you haven't seen it, try to find it online. Five tries were scored between the two clubs and despite Stade scoring one more, Brive managed to pull out the upset by two points with a final score of 27-29. Considering the Brive's history and their nice looking team on paper you wouldn't think this should be much of an upset, but their recent history and near drops to the second division has stained their reputation considerably. For Stade, it looks like their alterations over the Summer are still clicking just yet.

The last match of the weekend was between Biarritz and Toulouse, a rematch of sorts of the H-Cup final last season. There were three tries, one of which was scored by Biarritz's prop Eduard Coetzee and another by Toulouse's hooker William Servat. Dimitri Yachvili continues to prove why he's the best at his position in France by kicking his club to victory with six penalties and a conversion over the defending European champions with a final score of 25-20. Takudzwa Ngwenya was disappointing, as was Yannick Jauzion. Fullback Maxime Médard also scored a try in this match for Toulouse, but it wasn't enough.

Once more a mediocre game by Clermont, giving away too many penalties.
they will not win the ***le this year.

Can be, but of the 7 games they played I saw 5 of them and every game they give away stupid penalties.
The team has (bought) plenty of talented players but they should keep their chill and try to avoid giving away free points.
Hopefully they will be spared of injuries.

My home team Montpellier is doing great with 5 wins out of 7 games, and a bonus point victory away in Agen this WE. Great players and great tries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get to watch anything this weekend. Does anyone have a site where I can view matches easily? I always seem to have issues with what I'm using.

M Two One if you speak french you can check this site

liverugby.lacave-online.com/. They have links and everything.

Thanks Charles, I'll check out that site.

I'm really looking for anything to watch at any time, from lower leagues to Top 14.

This week-end games are

Bayonne / Perpignan 25/09/2010 - 16h25
Racing Métro 92 / Biarritz 25/09/2010 - 14h30
Brive / Toulouse 25/09/2010 - 14h30
Montpellier / La Rochelle 25/09/2010 - 20h45
Bourgoin / Toulon 24/09/2010 - 20h45
Agen / Stade Français 25/09/2010 - 14h30
Clermont / Castres 25/09/2010 - 14h30

Montpellier/ La Rochelle should be a cracker. Two teams playing running Rugby.

Brive/Toulouse, Bayonne/Perpignan and Racing/Biarritz are the others big games.

Racing Metro is performing great so far. Most points scored of all teams so far, top of the log. Hope they can actually manage to impress in the Heineken Cup this season

Could we unstick this thread and the Pro D2 thread and sticky the new season one?

Latest posts