Toulouse Break the bank on Carter

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Canadian_Rugger, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Well it has begun the great monetary push from the North and my fair southerners its only going to get worse from here on out 1.48 million for not even one season of rugby that is a heck of a lot of cash.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Cardiff Blues are also set to offer Dan Carter a deal!

4. therock67

therock67 Guest

Not many teams will be able to compete with that. Think he'll definitely end up in France anyway.

5. Riot

Riot Guest

i say go DC, only one year, Stephen Brett, Nick Evans are already good replacements

6. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

Yeah if Nick Evens goes too then there will be the Stephen Brett = Stephen Donald rivarly for the number ten jersey.

However I think all S14 players should do a season or two in the NH to get more of feel for what rugby is like elsewhere....it will make them rounded players.....then they could come back and try out for the AB team when it is 24 months before the RWC. A good time to go would be straight after the RWC.

7. woosaah

woosaah Guest

Brett will be a better replacement than donald :p

This is big money, Toulouse contract only for a year so its not too bad. The NZRFU are looking at ways of keepign the all blacks over here, but money like that they cannot contend with. Maybe offering him something else after that year to come back to might be good, give him a break from the all blacks for a year or so then he might come back fresher. though he might like it so much and decide he doesnt want to come back to new zealand rugby.

8. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

If Carter and Evans go within 12 months, how long before Donald and Brett are lined up?

After that who then? Will the cheque-books seriously be taken out for someone like Gopperth?

9. woosaah

woosaah Guest

Hope so, i hate Gopperth.

If this really happens and it starts to devalue the international game i feel that the NZRU has to do something about it. What they can do is a bit difficult. Maybe the NZ Government has to come in and give our sportsmen some tax benifits. Thats another reason why the players go over there, They dont pay as much tax or anything over there. There was a big article over the weekend about that. I didnt think it was worth posting.

Maybe the NZRU has to look at letting players play overseas and still be eligible for the ABs, but I dont like that idea as it devalues the Super 14. Maybe its not just about the money that they are going, but i am sure thats a big motivator and makes them seriously think about it.

If anyone has read the All Blacks report on the world cup you would see they are thinking about keeping the players here, but its still quite hard as they dont really have the resources that some of the European clubs have.

Hopefully the IRB can step in and do something as well, maybe make up a seperate competition that will bring in some extra money like the IPL or something, set up a special window just for international tests alternating from year to year, end of year for southern hemisphere to go to northern hemispher, mid year next year for you guys to come down south. keep the tri nations super 14. Maybe have a world club knockout tornament every couple of years or something.

I am bored at work.

10. HarryPeters

HarryPeters Guest

And Donald. ;)

11. gaslight

gaslight Guest

A magnificent day to be that man's wallet. Top stuff.

12. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Take away their passports, duh!

13. jawmalawm24

jawmalawm24 Guest

There was a story that said Carter has made a verbal confirmation to play for Toulon for 1.4mil for 1 year but would get $200,000 for endorsements.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!