• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers: 05/06

B

Bullitt

Originally posted by skysports.com
HOOKER LEOTA OPTS TO LEAVE WASPS

1215825.gif

Leota: Farewell to Wasps

Hooker Trevor Leota has left Wasps to pursue a new career in the Super 14.

The 30-year-old Samoan has enjoyed a glittering eight-year career with the Wycombe club but the option of a fresh challenge was too much to ignore.

"It hurts me to say goodbye as I have loved every moment I have been with the London Wasps. However, I have always wanted to play in the Super 12 and now with it becoming the Super 14 I have an opportunity to play in it and also see my children more frequently which is very important to me," he said.

"I've got plenty of years left in the game so who knows, I could be back in England one day soon. Wherever I go, whatever I do, the Wasps fans have a special place in my heart. Once a Wasp, always a Wasp."

Chief executive David Davies revealed the club are looking to bring in a replacement for Leota, who won three Premiership ***les, the Heineken Cup, Parker Pen Challenge Cup and the Tetley's Bitter Cup twice.

"We have new hookers coming in and it strikes me as the right time (for Leota to leave)," Davies told the Wasps Buzzline.

"There are lots of hookers out there who are looking at us with enthusiastic eyes. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will be able to make an announcement. We are looking for someone who can work in tandem with Phil and Ben Gotting.

"The club are very grateful to Trevor but these things have a lifespan he is in need of a new challenge and relishing the chance to play abroad."

Meanwhile fly-half James Brooks has signed a three-year extension to his contract and Connacht prop Peter Bracken is close to a move.

Shame, he was one of the few guys at Wasps that I do genuinly like. Met him breifly this year and he's a thouroughly nice guy.

LEEDS TYKES SECURE ISAACSON DEAL

1309391.jpg

Isaacson: Leeds-bound

Leeds Tykes have been boosted by the signing of James Isaacson from Guinness Premiership rivals Newcastle Falcons on a two-year deal.

Isaacson, 25, joins All Blacks Test scrum-half Justin Marshall and South African prop Kees Lensing in committing to the Headingley club.

The Former England under-21 star can play either loose-head prop or hooker and is seen as an an ideal replacement for veteran Matt Holt, who retired at the end of last season.

Tykes director of rugby Phil Davies said: "In front-row terms, James is a young player who will hopefully develop for us.

"He is a versatile player who will provide us with plenty of options in the forwards, in what will be one of the toughest seasons to date.

"I look forward to seeing him fulfil his potential in the years to come."[/QUOTE]

Wasps are apparently looking to sign Shane Byrne after he recieved a derisory contract offer from Leinster and the IRFU. I think his contract is actually expired now.

He's certainly taken a bit of a risk going on a Lions tour and being out of contract

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 28 2005, 06:47 AM
He's certainly taken a bit of a risk going on a Lions tour and being out of contract
Mabye he saw it as a chance to put himself in the shop window. His performance in the first test won't have done him much good in that respect though.

Edinburgh Gunners:

IN

Leonelli (argentina 7s captain)
Matt Muschen (sp?...came from uslter)
Duncan Hodge (returns from leeds)
Dave Hewitt (Canterbury)

OUT
Craig Joiner (retired)
Brendan Laney

Some other changes I think but they are just fringe players.

Leinster have re-signed James Norton and signed Adam Byrnes, a 6'7 second row from NSW A and the Eastern Suburbs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Leinster Rugby are delighted to announce the signing of second row Adam Byrnes on a 2-year deal from Australian side the Eastern Suburbs.

The 6'7'' lock forward has an EU passport and will link up with Michael Cheika and his new team-mates next week.

Meanwhile, former Ireland Schools / Under-21 winger James Norton has agreed a new one-year deal with the province.

Coach Michael Cheika said: "I am delighted to welcome Adam to Leinster. He was a member of the New South Wales Waratahs 'A' side and he is a young, hard and aggressive player who will add competition and skills to the pack.

"Adam played for Eastern Suburbs and he always impressed me when I was coaching Randwick. The rivalry between the two sides is like that between Leinster and Munster. So for me to bring him here shows how highly I rate him!

"Having watched a lot of video footage of James in recent weeks, I am also pleased to confirm that he has re-signed for the coming season.

"At 24, he will bring pace and skill to the backline and he has a wealth of experience having also played representative rugby with Ireland Schools, Ireland Under-21's and Connacht."

Filed by Editor[/b]

From leinsterrugby.ie and my free text alert

Northampton Saints

IN

Daniel Browne (Grenoble) No 8
Luke Harbut (Ex-Saracens prop. Had a year out but returns for a six-month contract)
Sam Harding (Crusaders) Flanker
Geoff Appleford (London Irish) Centre
Colin Noon (Leicester) Prop
David Quinlan (Leinster) Centre
Carlos Spencer (Auckland Blues) Fly-half
Ben Lewitt (Bedford Blues) Flanker
Sean Lamont (Glasgow) Winger
James Percival (Worcester) Lock

Because SA's can still play for the Springboks in while playing at club level in England, and their EU qualified so the more-than-one overseas player rule doesn't count, they are ideal to bring some world class rugby to the premiership.

As for Bernard, I just hope he doesn't become another Robbie Kempson. The fat lump of lard.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jul 2 2005, 01:35 PM
As for Bernard, I just hope he doesn't become another Robbie Kempson. The fat lump of lard.
He's being signed by coaches as a good prospect, rather than as a best mate though.
<

Shane Byrne has signed a 2 year deal with Saracens, I know we've signed Bernard Jackman but Byrne going to London is still a loss, Jackman is just too inconsistent imo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Shane Byrne has signed a 2 year deal with Saracens, I know we've signed Bernard Jackman but Byrne going to London is still a loss, Jackman is just
too inconsistent imo.[/b]

Jeeze, that bites a bit doesn't it, I know he didnt play very well in the tour, but I have seen him playing for Leinster and I think he can be one of the best hookers in the world, on occasions.

If this Lions tour is anything to go by though, Sarries will have 2 players who badly underperform.

One being Byrne, the other being Farrell.

Latest posts