• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2014/15

Correct
It's not 2007 anymore ;)

I wasn't going off of 2007 form. Hayman has probably been the most solid TH in the Top 14 (hence why he's now captain of Toulon), and was great against South Africa recently. I'd still pick him over any TH..

fk yeah, can Juan Smith do this ??!!! :p

No but seriously, Clermont captain Chouly is clearly a Top 5 third rower in the league atm.
You're exactly right on most of what you say Saffycen, but a much better example is (sadly :( ) the great Stade Toulousain. Officially by far the highest budget in the Top 14 (and in all world Rugby then de facto ?), and yes they've had major issues with a) the front row/scrum b) McAllister's mediocre goal kicking, but we're still talking about a club with Dusau, Nyanga, Doussain (the Toulouse Doussain), Fickou, Fritz, Poitrenaud, Médard, Gear, McAllister, Picamoles, Census Johnston, Steenkamp, Tolofua, Galan, Huget...
I'll take ultimate and certain commitment from ALL my players and state of the art, deeply conscientious coaching over big names any day of the week. And if I can have both ?? Well...well of course I'll take both. If I'm a quarter sensible. If I can have both, then my name is Rugby Club Toulonnais. Parce que Toulon. Because Toulon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be rude to Juan Smith. You're lucky there isn't a SA rugby fan near you. That said he was at his best 2007 RWC, player of the tournament in fact. 7 years on it's unfair to expect him to be a world beater still consistently.

Don't be rude to Juan Smith. You're lucky there isn't a SA rugby fan near you. That said he was at his best 2007 RWC, player of the tournament in fact. 7 years on it's unfair to expect him to be a world beater still consistently.

not being rude to him at all, you know how I rate Juanne. ;)

oh you flirt always teasing about those big springbok lads
About that. Are we still 'big'? I mean, most nations now have guys probably larger than our own.

And if anything we have gone smaller, well in the backline at least:

Serfontein < J Fourie
JdV < F Steyn
Le Roux < Kirchner
Hendricks < JPP

yeah, just teasing.

nothing about the JuanNE ?...ugh, disappointed..

About that. Are we still 'big'? I mean, most nations now have guys probably larger than our own.

And if anything we have gone smaller, well in the backline at least:

Serfontein < J Fourie
JdV < F Steyn
Le Roux < Kirchner
Hendricks < JPP

and yeah I see what you mean, but up front the Boks are still huge, no question. Not many backlines are huge yet around the world though. It'll come...
MASS !...*boom* aaaah-aaaaaah !!...

Medical Joker for Michalak (injured for about 4 munfs) iiiiiiiiiiiizz ????...

sanchez.jpg

That's right. Tony fuccking Woodcock.

Starts playing for Toulon on October 6th, right after that Southern Hemisphere annual party thing. Parce que Toulon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Medical Joker for Michalak (injured for about 4 munfs) iiiiiiiiiiiizz ????...
T
hat's right. Tony fuccking Woodcock.

Starts playing for Toulon on October 6th, right after that Southern Hemisphere annual party thing. Parce que Toulon.

Seems unlikely since he's out for the season with injury and signed with the NZRU through to 2015. I don't see why they'd even let him take a sabbatical to France when he's being given time to get right (and will likely miss the EoYT to do so).

Nicolas Sanchez is an interesting pick up.

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** ****! I was really hoping Sanchez would come to the Cape. Flyhalf is a sore spot for us and he'd have fit in perfectly seeing as he'd have been playing in blue and white hoops for WP and Stormers and our other international is also an Argentine. C'mon, WP selectors, step it up!!

Ronald Raaymakers from Counties Manukau to Ulster on a short-term deal to add some depth to our now paper thin 2nd row lineup.

Anyone give me any info on him? I gather he is the capt., but know nothing else.

Ronald Raaymakers from Counties Manukau to Ulster on a short-term deal to add some depth to our now paper thin 2nd row lineup.

Anyone give me any info on him? I gather he is the capt., but know nothing else.

Raaymakers is a very handy pick-up in my opinion.

He not a star, but he is a good reliable player who gives his all every match. His biggest issue is his lack of height. He's listed at 1.93m (6'4), almost certainly making him the shortest lock in the NZ domestic rugby. Because of this lack of height he's never been given much of a chance at Super Rugby level. Despite his lack of height he is actually a handy operator at the front of the lineout at NPC level (not sure how he would go at higher levels though). He has a big work-rate - he hits plenty of breakdowns, makes a huge number of tackles (and is accurate on defense), and he is a willing ball runner (though not outstanding, he is probably better than the average lock with ball in hand). He has good leadership skills too.

I'm not sure what the Ulster side looks like, but if you pair him at lock with a strong lineout jumper and have a couple of good lineout options in the loose-forwards he could be a real asset.

Raaymakers himself is a good loose forward option too.

True. He hasn't played much there these last few years (as Counties have plenty of good loose forwards but no locks), but he does have experience at 6 (and it is probably the position he is best suited for physically).

I'm not sure he's the greatest fit from the sounds of it - he's coming in due to injuries to Tuohy and Henderson, both of whom brought real lineout athleticism - and what we've got left is Franco van der Merwe (good, obviously) and a pair of big heavy tighthead locks. Another jumper lock would have been ideal. But, beggars can't be choosers, and the work rate and carrying sound like a decent fit in a replacement at least. So, yeah, mixed news.

I'm slightly miffed to begin with that we're not using this as a chance to give the kids a go - but I suppose with the HEC games coming up, you can see why they went for it.

I'm not sure he's the greatest fit from the sounds of it - he's coming in due to injuries to Tuohy and Henderson, both of whom brought real lineout athleticism - and what we've got left is Franco van der Merwe (good, obviously) and a pair of big heavy tighthead locks. Another jumper lock would have been ideal. But, beggars can't be choosers, and the work rate and carrying sound like a decent fit in a replacement at least. So, yeah, mixed news.

I'm slightly miffed to begin with that we're not using this as a chance to give the kids a go - but I suppose with the HEC games coming up, you can see why they went for it.

If Ulster were looking for an athletic LH lock he won't be a good fit as you suggest... he is more of an undersized TH lock....

Also......5 minutes ago he walked off the field with a suspected broken arm, which probably isn't ideal.....

If Ulster were looking for an athletic LH lock he won't be a good fit as you suggest... he is more of an undersized TH lock....

Also......5 minutes ago he walked off the field with a suspected broken arm, which probably isn't ideal.....

Well at least he gets injured like an Ulster lock :lol:

That's harsh. Suspect they'd have to cancel it, must be gutting to lose your shot like that - hope he's fine, but it doesn't sound like it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29508766

Tommy Bell has moved from Jersey to Tigers.
Great signing for Tigers, I'm a big big fan of his. He was excellent for us, and for Leeds, and I think following his brother to Wasps was a bad decision. He'd have been first choice (or at least rotating) fullback for us (Diamond specifically named him as one of the players he wants to build the future of the side around) whereas at Wasps he was behind several players and never got a chance to build any form, getting 10-15mins here and there.

Great signing, although I suspect Tigers are going to shove him in the centres a bit seeing as that is where their injuries have really hit.

Can't quite believe he's only 21 still, travelled around a bit for a young 'un. Will be interested to see him if he plays against Quins.

Latest posts