• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2014/15

There doesn't really have to have been any. It has been very clearly that if you are IQ and in Ireland, the Irish management will look at you.

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some but it could just as easily be a Waldrom or Bowden scenario - international rugby is an ambition, so they've moved to a country with an open door selection policy.

Mindyou... good luck to him trying that at Connacht. I've heard people say Munster were on the lookout for a centre, so either that's not true, or they've missed a trick, or Mr Aki isn't so clever.

Well I'd imagine Pat Lam had a big role in sorting the deal out, which would explain Connacht. Given the centre situations at both Leinster and Munster it's a poor choice by Aki if he does want to play international rugby, aye.

Well I'd imagine Pat Lam had a big role in sorting the deal out, which would explain Connacht. Given the centre situations at both Leinster and Munster it's a poor choice by Aki if he does want to play international rugby, aye.

But if Henshaw is staying at Connacht and is still considered as a long term centre option for Ireland then surely Aki has a chance as well if he plays well.

I think this case is an example as to why 'project players' have to be looked at on a case by case basis. Despite Aki have no ties to Ireland he clearly has some very good reasons to move to Connacht and if he's willing to commit to living on the other side of the world and contribute to an Irish team then I don't see why he can't be considered for selection once he's qualified.

I imagine they'll sign someone young and look to bring Thacker through in the international windows?

Wonder if Tigers will be after another Hooker.
I know they've got Ghiraldini coming in, but they're losing Hawkins and Chuter, and will lose Youngs and Ghiraldini during internationals.

Doubt it I think Thacker and Briggs will fight it amongst each other for 3rd spot.

In the Autumn international we will have 3 weeks without them 2 of which are usually LV cup games.

Then in the six nations we will be missing them for 5 games.

Cockers is a very big fan of Thacker and I reckon he will be 3rd choice as shown in some of the games already.

so
1st Youngs
2nd Ghiraldini
3rd Thacker
4th Briggs

Ah, I'd forgot Tigers still had Briggs! Big fan of his, was gutted when he left. That answers my question then :p

Thacker looks a very good prospect - quite small so will be interesting to see how goes getting more senior rugby time. I reckon he'll do well.

If he is involved with a Tigers pack that is big elsewhere I think he'll probably do well - but he is absolutely tiny.

If he is involved with a Tigers pack that is big elsewhere I think he'll probably do well - but he is absolutely tiny.

Suppose a pack of in the Autumn internationals. If we assume Ayerza, Ghiraldini, Youngs, Salter, Parling, Croft, Rizzo, Barberi could all be involved in the AI, Don't know which of our second rows has the best chance Kitchener has the most talent imo, and Slater is playing very well.

So all just guess work

Mulipola (out for 1 LV cup game I think)
Thacker
Cole (if England will let him have the Autumn of with Leicester) If not Balmain who is playing well.
Deacon
Kitchener
Mafi
Salvi
Crane/Pearce

Forwards subs
Briggs
Pasquali
Balmain/Brugnara or Other TH cockers has been talking about signing.
De Cheves
Gibson

But the 6 nations pack will look different.
Ayerza
Thacker
Mulipola
Deacon/Slater
Kitchener/Parling
Mafi
Salvi
Crane/Pearce

Bench
Briggs
Pasquali
Balmain/Brugnara or Other TH cockers has been talking about signing.
De Cheves
Gibson

thacker should be well covered by the props.

Would allow a regular season pack of
Ayerza
Youngs
Cole
Slater
Kitchener
Croft
Salvi
Barberi/Crane/Pearce

Bench
Ghiraldini
Rizzo
Mulipola
Parling
Mafi/Gibson/Barberi/Crane/Pearce

Last edited:
Tbh, I reckon Ghiraldini can force Youngs to the bench.

But if Henshaw is staying at Connacht and is still considered as a long term centre option for Ireland then surely Aki has a chance as well if he plays well.

He's got a chance but it's not as good a chance. He's going to be with a lesser standard of player, he'll probably find himself being asked to be more versatile and he'll be playing in less big games than his contenders in the other 3 provinces.

That said - the IRFU have confirmed further funding for Connacht - clearly they fancy a chance of regularly getting all four provinces into the top tier - and that could change things.

Looks very much like Adam Jones is signing for WRU and Dragons. Also hearing rumours RGC will be moved up into the Welsh Premiership next season. They'll start to be turned into a fully professional side there, once fully professional they'll be moved up to the Pro12. Going to be interesting in the prem next season for sure.

Nick Schonert cheetahs-----> Worcester

Never heard of him before but he is only 22 so hopefully there will potential that he could be quite good in the future.

Going to suggest that Joe Rees will pip him. Lot's of Ospreys fans were talking up Rees on being the next BIG tighthead before his injury. Stalled since then, and cause he announced signing for Worcester so early, he's played very little.

Connacht have continued their NZ raid by capturing Tom McCartney from the Auckland Blues. McCartney is a hooker who can play loose head.

Connacht have continued their NZ raid by capturing Tom McCartney from the Auckland Blues. McCartney is a hooker who can play loose head.

Seriously, are Connacht not capable of developing their own players. I wonder whether we will see him in an Ireland jersey in 3 years time (alongside the likes Bundee O'Aki, and Craig O'Clarke) ;)

He is a good solid player, but not a major loss to NZ rugby. By all reports he is outstanding in the gym - unfortunately he was never really able to transfer this onto the rugby field.

Latest posts