• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2016-2017

Yes and that £500k was (a slightly raised rounding of) the transfer fee; buying him out of 2 years left on his contract in Aus; and not his salary.
However, some idiot in the press couldn't tell the difference, and ended up as the source everyone else in the press quoted.

The generally accepted figure by those looking past the headlines / talking to those in the know was around £275-300k; which also makes sense of the return transfer fee being £550-600 for the remaining 2 years he had contracted in Bath.

Hah! utter bull**** IMO.
Feel free to believe it if it makes you feel better; but I see no way on earth that a complete gamble would be paid more than a world class player (Louw) or a regular international in the most expensive position on the pitch.
If you really think Craig would do that, then how the hell did he make any money in business?
If Burgess was our highest earner; then there's no way in hell we were even approaching the cap, let alone beyond.

Of course, we both have our opinions based on all the speculation out there (mostly revolving around an idiot in the press who can't tell the difference between a transfer fee and a salary), personal bias, and different values of common sense; and it's been discussed ad nauseam over the last year or so; neither of us is likely to change their mind just because they've met yet another person who disagrees with them.

Well he did pay £500,000 to get him released which is already more than what Louw so goes against your argument about Craig being wise enough not to spend more on Burgess than on Louw.

If Craig was tight about money he wouldn't be losing nearly £3 million a year with the club.

But if you think Burgess (who was coming off a brilliant NRL season and considered one of the highest paid players in the league) would be on less than Wilson or Attwood who at the time of there current contracts where not even England regulars.

Edit: I don't think he was on £500,00 a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was £350,000 - £400,000

Last edited:
Again, transfer fee =/= salary.
I never claimed that Bruce is tight with money; but I do know he doesn't see that loss as a long-term thing.

Oh, and your information on Wilson is way out, though just about correct on Attwood, he was a fringe international at the time.

Anyway; I'm sure this has all been done to death on this board, just as it has on every other rugby board; we've both reached our conclusions already; equally it isn't really on topic for this thread either.

Coach lies to the press shocker.

Personally I always assume that a coach / DoR / player is lying when they talk to the press; unless I can see no benefit to themselves for doing so.
In this case, he has a current squad to manage - he's hardly going to say "We've signed Faletau because we don't think Houston is good enough to match our ambitions" is he?

Ian Nagle is off to Leinster. Classic Leinster picking up our leftovers.

I'm a big fan of Nagle but don't think he will ever get up to that level. He lacks the aggression and Leinster fans will agree he's missed 2 years in which he should've hit his prime.

Mike Coman (Flanker) - Edinburgh ---> London Irish
Greg Tonks (10/15) - Edinburgh ---> London Irish
Glenn Bryce (Centre) - Glasgow ---> Edinburgh

Last edited:
iHumph --> Retirement home

Was good on his day with ball in hand, unfortunately a passenger without the ball and not many good days recently.

All the best in retirement Ian!

iHumph --> Retirement home

Was good on his day with ball in hand, unfortunately a passenger without the ball and not many good days recently.

All the best in retirement Ian!
Always liked him as a player but he was never a great one. Playing in his brothers hand-me-down boots which were a good five sizes too big never helped either!

Good luck to him!

Corey Flynn --> Glasgow (2 year deal)

If it hasn't already been mentioned

Also, Leonardo Sarto confirmed to Glasgow (probs a replacement for Naiyaravoro)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
That confirms Muldowney to Grenoble for the record. Expect Harris-Wright will get a contract in England, possibly in London Irish, he's quite a good player. Expect Porter is almost definitely Ulster bound, retirements for Carr and Naoupu and I have no idea about Pewhairangi.

Latest posts