• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I think your familiarity with Palmer is blinding you to his decline in the last year or two.

I've dealt blackjack to Cooper-Woolley. That's all I've got on him.

I say nay, Ratsapprentice!

Palmer's only ever been any good fleetingly though, he wouldn't really be much of a loss IMO

Agree with that - though I think he was top quality for the six nations in 2011 and an important part of our winning the thing. I swear he was bigger and more physical back then and was part of a big gain-line defensive effort.

In any case, when Wasps have Joe Launchbury, Kearnan Myall, Tom Palmer and a hugely impressive James Cannon it seems unfair to say that Bradley Davies is of a quality we've lacked since Simon Shaw! My only point.

On merit, I couldn't see him not being in your 23 though and predominantly starting.

I like Davies but he needs to bring his best form - the Bradley Davies who captained Wales against Japan is a far cry from the Bradley Davies who was so effective in the 2011 six nations! In that sense he's in the exact same position as Tom Palmer here!

I agree he'd probably be in the 23 and will bring great strength in depth to Wasps, but he'd need to step up in order to oust Kearnan Myall from starting, who is playing well.

Lorenzo Cittadini --> Wasps

Also Ghiraldini apparently being looked at by Wasps and Bath...
Not sure how credible that is.

Will Palmer still be at Pests next season?

The best thing about a potential Davies signing is presumably he's there to start - so's Launchbury - Launchbury calling lineouts? That'd be good.

Will Palmer still be at Pests next season?

The best thing about a potential Davies signing is presumably he's there to start - so's Launchbury - Launchbury calling lineouts? That'd be good.

Well, one of the more peripheral england coaches suggested that launchbury should play 6 for England... this is speculation now, but if that's what the coaches as a whole feel there may be pressure on Dai Young to do that at Wasps, (with Myall and Davies in the second row). This has been the speculation - I think it's unlikely and I think Dai will be resistant to changing Launchbury to 6.

The rumour is that Palmer is leaving - but by rumour I really just mean whisperings, from the Drunken Wasps.

Well, one of the more peripheral england coaches suggested that launchbury should play 6 for England... this is speculation now, but if that's what the coaches as a whole feel there may be pressure on Dai Young to do that at Wasps, (with Myall and Davies in the second row). This has been the speculation - I think it's unlikely and I think Dai will be resistant to changing Launchbury to 6.

The rumour is that Palmer is leaving - but by rumour I really just mean whisperings, from the Drunken Wasps.

With launchbery playing for England I can understand wasps have 5 good locks. Most teams have four but 5 gives them room for injury which wasps seem to get a lot of!

Lauchberry
Davies - replacing palmer
Myall
Cannon
Lozada

A good mix, maybe a bit overkill though

With launchbery playing for England I can understand wasps have 5 good locks. Most teams have four but 5 gives them room for injury which wasps seem to get a lot of!

Lauchberry
Myall
Cannon
Lozada

As stated above, Launchbury's more than capable at 6, so the extra lock cover would just mean they can afford not to go scouting for another back row any time soon (although they're fairly well covered as it is)

Lauchberry
Myall
Cannon
Lozada

its about right for us - when you take into account that Lozada hasn't really impressed and has only played A league games, we have about the right level of resources

Irish times reporting that Seán O'Brien is close to signing for Toulon, along with Jamie Heaslip.

Irish times reporting that Seán O'Brien is close to signing for Toulon, along with Jamie Heaslip.

Seriously this is becoming a joke with Toulon. Something has to be done about this sort of big spending culture. It doesn't suit rugby and its not right.

Seriously this is becoming a joke with Toulon. Something has to be done about this sort of big spending culture. It doesn't suit rugby and its not right.

That's the problem with professional sport I guess, you can't prevent people moving or the EU will be all over you.

As stated above, Launchbury's more than capable at 6, so the extra lock cover would just mean they can afford not to go scouting for another back row any time soon (although they're fairly well covered as it is)

Except they've got a huge amount of options in the back row as well and are rumoured to be signing Gaskell too. The depth it would give them is insane.

Ben Mowen --> Toulon

Is definitely leaving Australia with Toulon the rumoured destination. Hope spot for Leinster fans?

In fairness, I don't believe anything any of the Irish papers say about transfers. When they know a high profile player is coming to the end of his contract they'll pipe up that a club in France is after them, as Toulon's spending lends an air of legitimacy to any rumor these days. Something to write about for them and the players' agents are probably delighted. Prime example would be Martin Moore.

In fairness, I don't believe anything any of the Irish papers say about transfers. When they know a high profile player is coming to the end of his contract they'll pipe up that a club in France is after them, as Toulon's spending lends an air of legitimacy to any rumor these days. Something to write about for them and the players' agents are probably delighted. Prime example would be Martin Moore.

In fairness though it's agents that have papers wrapped up easily. Regards Heaslip though I still think he will go and it'd be great for Ireland if he does as it'll mean he will be playing and another Irish guy (Ruddock, Murphy even Ryan) will be too. But if it's believed as reported today that SOB is going to France next week to try seal a deal that'd be very bad for Leinster and Ireland but again I think it's just agents playing the game. Journalists here are slow as Conor George had it that Penney and all staff had signed extensions but that was all bull nothing signed and from what I heard still few ****les to sort

In fairness though it's agents that have papers wrapped up easily. Regards Heaslip though I still think he will go and it'd be great for Ireland if he does as it'll mean he will be playing and another Irish guy (Ruddock, Murphy even Ryan) will be too. But if it's believed as reported today that SOB is going to France next week to try seal a deal that'd be very bad for Leinster and Ireland but again I think it's just agents playing the game. Journalists here are slow as Conor George had it that Penney and all staff had signed extensions but that was all bull nothing signed and from what I heard still few ****les to sort

I can't agree at all that Heaslip moving is good for Ireland and especially Leinster which in turn will effect Ireland. Ruddock is already playing and is a 6 only really, Murphy is a good player but I don't think 8 is his strongest position and he still has a lot of stuff to clean up as an 8 before I'd be comfortable with him starting a big game at 8 also a common criticism but not one I think I'd go along with is that he's simply not tall enough to be a top level modern 8 and Ryan is also not an 8 and rumoured to be moving anyay. Also Leinster have Cullen and BO'D going at the end of this season if Heaslip goes as well that's three captains with no obvious replacement. It is also less than ideal for Ireland to have our vice captain not playing in Ireland.

Latest posts