• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Watson is an England player at 20, playing for one of the top sides.

Why on earth would he go to NFL!

Each NFL team's salary cap is about double the value of the 12 AP sides cap's collectively.

He could make many times the amount of money he could earn in rugby.

Not sure that is what it is about for him, yes he'd be rich, but he'll have achieved next to nothing by going to play a massive sport in the US that is niche everywhere else.

I think you're massively underestimating how much attention a lot of young people pay to american sports, in fact I know that he follows NFL and Basketball.

I think that if he thought he had a realistic chance of genuinely contributing to a team, as opposed to being purely a PR stunt, he'd be extremely interested in any offers.

Last edited:
I think Watson could make a tremendous defensive corner . He's very much in the Sherman mould but taller

No doubting he could have done, but no chance he'd be able to make the transition. Not quite as lippy a gobsh**e eiether.

Fair enough, don't think he's really suited to being a defensive player.

It's difficult to tell though, because obviously we don't get the sort of data about rugby players athleticism that we do from NFL prospects/combines.

Just found this video of George North doing 40m in 4.97 whilst in the scarlets academy, converted to a 40YD time that's 4.54... which is quick.

Someone will probably tell me that you can't accurately transfer a 40m time into a 40y time, but I can't see why not - it's 3~ yards difference.
If we assume that GN is probably slower now, than he was then, due to being bigger... and that Watson is appreciably faster than GN - I think AW could run a sub 4.5 40YD.

That would put him in the ball-park for WR's and Corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't but it's probably fine too ;). Most athletes will have hit top speed by then and are unlikely to have slowed down some that much in 3.5 meters (had to covert it I have no idea about imperial measurements was never taught them in school)

Simon Zebo -----> Toulouse.

Floating for last few years due to Zebo having French ancestors.

He's unlikely to go though as he's loved here. Although I'd put 1 cautious bit in. His girlfriend Elvira had their 1st child and she relocated from Madrid last November. So who knows. His contract is up in May but talks are opened with Munster. The issue may be getting the national contract

He has said he wouldn't mind playing in France before hasn't he?

No. What he said was as a joke he wouldn't mind being part of a big money transfer and all press sort of took it their own ways. Like being honest he knows he's loved in Munster and has golden chance to play in his preferred spot of 15 now. I think it'll come down to agents playing games to get a national contract. He's a guy I can see leave eventually but not now and I don't think he's the type to throw toys out of pram. So can't see there being bad issues.

The Henshaw Auction is underway.

Robbie has all but said he will probably leave Connacht at the end of his contract this Summer. His options are Top 14 Munster or Leinster meaning it's between Munster and Leinster. Would be delighted if we can get him. But I'd think he'd have a perfect fit at Leinster. A Sexton/Henshaw/Fitzgearld trio would be very good. And well as much as I love Limerick the lifestyle of Dublin is more attractive.
Top 14 is basically mentioned for money. And while I think I'd prefer to see him stay at Connacht overall they need to be in top competitions consistently.

The Henshaw Auction is underway.

Robbie has all but said he will probably leave Connacht at the end of his contract this Summer. His options are Top 14 Munster or Leinster meaning it's between Munster and Leinster. Would be delighted if we can get him. But I'd think he'd have a perfect fit at Leinster. A Sexton/Henshaw/Fitzgearld trio would be very good. And well as much as I love Limerick the lifestyle of Dublin is more attractive.
Top 14 is basically mentioned for money. And while I think I'd prefer to see him stay at Connacht overall they need to be in top competitions consistently.

It would be silly not to send him to the province most in need which would be us. A centre combo of him and Saili would also be very nice. At least Leinster seem able to produce centres and do have options.
I do hope he stays at Connacht though.

It would be silly not to send him to the province most in need which would be us. A centre combo of him and Saili would also be very nice. At least Leinster seem able to produce centres and do have options.
I do hope he stays at Connacht though.

Like you I hope to he stays west as Connacht need him. However I presume he will be allowed choose. It'd be great to get him here.

The Rugby paper (apparently) rumours that Wasp sare chasing Manu Tuilagi and are offering 300k. Bristol and other clubs also interested.

Latest posts