• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I thought marquee players had to be new signings (and only one can be English/from the prem)?

Nope, I think it's 2 seasons they need to have played at a club before they can then become Marquee. They can definitely become marquee from within the club though.

Fair enough!
I only ever hear the rules in passing so always forget what they are :p

How long can a player be a marquee? Just the one season?
So Tigers could offer Manu £1.5m for next year, then £300k thereafter?

Fair enough!
I only ever hear the rules in passing so always forget what they are :p

How long can a player be a marquee? Just the one season?
So Tigers could offer Manu £1.5m for next year, then £300k thereafter?

He'd have to sign a new contract after his single season one. You can't front load contracts like that basically. The whole contract is taken into consideration and evened out. So £1.5m and then 2x £300k would be simply viewed as £700k each season, and only for the first one that he's marquee would it be outside the cap. You can obviously pay him the £1.5m after just one season, and then £300k after, but it doesn't effect how it changes the cap considerations.

He'd have to sign a new contract after his single season one. You can't front load contracts like that basically. The whole contract is taken into consideration and evened out. So £1.5m and then 2x £300k would be simply viewed as £700k each season, and only for the first one that he's marquee would it be outside the cap. You can obviously pay him the £1.5m after just one season, and then £300k after, but it doesn't effect how it changes the cap considerations.

Which is why I don't get the wuss runout as it is front loaded.

Mind you Fissler said Toomua had signed for Wasps the day Tigers announce him. ;)

Which is why I don't get the wuss runout as it is front loaded.

Mind you Fissler said Toomua had signed for Wasps the day Tigers announce him. ;)

It's a better deal for Tuilagi. He gets the money sooner rather than later, and if they get relegated he probably has a breakout clause.

Do tigers really want to keep him?

I known it's a tuff question but Leicester are a business first and foremost and they have JDV & toomara (sorry about the spelling of his name).

Manu spends his time injured or with England and will be taking a massive part of the salary cap. Not critiquing him as a player at all but Leicester don't get the best of him by any means

Do tigers really want to keep him?

I known it's a tuff question but Leicester are a business first and foremost and they have JDV & toomara (sorry about the spelling of his name).

Manu spends his time injured or with England and will be taking a massive part of the salary cap. Not critiquing him as a player at all but Leicester don't get the best of him by any means

Think they do but we will stick to our limit, Freddie is a arse when it comes to negotiations though (Or so i have heard).

With Toomua (Correct way of spelling ;) ) we have a world class 12 which should in turn make it easier to maybe find a top class 13 to replace manu should he go.

If Mauger hadn't arrived i think Manu and Youngs would be def off but now not so sure the backs look like they are enjoying themselves Youngs has started to do his tap and go runs from penalties which is a sign he is in a good place ATM.

What is Stephenson up to ATM? is he injured haven't seen him playing much i know he signed a deal last season but hopefully only a 1 year deal. ;)
@TRF_Olyy do sale have any 13's about?

Last edited by a moderator:
TRP apparently says that Quins are looking to get Ian Madigan in to replace Evans when he retires.

Think they do but we will stick to our limit, Freddie is a arse when it comes to negotiations though (Or so i have heard).

With Toomua (Correct way of spelling ;) ) we have a world class 12 which should in turn make it easier to maybe find a top class 13 to replace manu should he go.

If Mauger hadn't arrived i think Manu and Youngs would be def off but now not so sure the backs look like they are enjoying themselves Youngs has started to do his tap and go runs from penalties which is a sign he is in a good place ATM.

What is Stephenson up to ATM? is he injured haven't seen him playing much i know he signed a deal last season but hopefully only a 1 year deal. ;)

Stephenson hasn't been getting as much game time as he deserves. But then with an English and Samoan international in front of him it's hard pickings.

I really like what I've seen though at 12 and 13, not sure where he'd be better of long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
TRP apparently says that Quins are looking to get Ian Madigan in to replace Evans when he retires.
Definitely talented, but can he control a game. At intl' level he can't but he wont be playing at that standard, Him-Roberts-Lowe would be fun to watch.

Not particularly.
Sam James looks good but has, what, 4(?) senior games under his belt.
Jennings has gone a bit off the boil the last season or so - plays like he thinks he's 2 stone heavier, always seeking contact rather than backing his pace. Apparently looked a lot better yesterday, though, so hopefully Deacon is coaching that out of him.
Addison's preferred position is 13, but he's far far far far better on the wing.
Bit of an odd choice, for me.
I really like Madigan, he's very very skillful and a great utility guy, but a first choice 10 for a side who wants to be in the top 4? I dunno.

I think leaving Leinster might be right for Mads at this stage, definitely a player I wouldn't want to see go but for him it may be better. If he can be guaranteed consistent starting game time at 10 for Bristol and given that much money then there is no reason he should go for it.

Tommy Taylor to Wasps is starting to do the rounds.
Hopefully not true and just someone guessing because Wasps have signed a lot of our other academy guys (Bell, Miller, Gaskell, McIntyre).

Tommy Taylor to Wasps is starting to do the rounds.
Hopefully not true and just someone guessing because Wasps have signed a lot of our other academy guys (Bell, Miller, Gaskell, McIntyre).

What's that McIntyre guy like ? He looks hellish strong

McIntyre is a very competent loosehead, never worried when he replaces Mullan, and wouldn't panic if he started against a lot of opposition. Big ball carrier too.

Tommy Taylor would be a fantastic signing for Wasps, does begin to make it look like Sale is to Wasps what Irish is to Bath. I'd like to put in an order for Jennings if I can, may struggle for game time even more given the emergence of James, and I think he has a fantastic attitude, could help Wasps in the 12 shirt.

Latest posts