• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Maybe it is purely down to money?
With COVID and the salary cap reductions, renewals won't be what they could be and if he was anticipating a big pay boost after cementing himself as a first team player last season, maybe he thinks a couple of years in France on more money then coming back to England with an eye on the international game is the best thing for him atm?
I don't begrudge players moving for money, or lifestyle - whether that's within the premiership or going overseas - it really is a short career.
However, when they do so, they (and their proponents) lose the right to talk aobut a desire to play for England unless and until they return.

I don't mind Armitage, Abendanon or Ibitoye moving. I mind them being touted for England whilst they've declared themselves unavailable.

Maybe it is purely down to money?
With COVID and the salary cap reductions, renewals won't be what they could be and if he was anticipating a big pay boost after cementing himself as a first team player last season, maybe he thinks a couple of years in France on more money then coming back to England with an eye on the international game is the best thing for him atm?
You could be right, class player but not breaking into england any time soon as his def is not good enough, as a young lad id have loved to live in france for a few years, if then he comes back at 24 - 26 and pushes for selection he it could be great for hin. And he will have a great career he'll enjoy.

Ellis Genge, George Ford, Manu Tuilagi, Greg Bateman and Kyle Eastmond are among the few Leicester Tigers players who could be stood down at the club following their refusal to agree pay cuts, according to DailyMail.

The high profile players have declined to sign revised terms as part of the club's urgent bid to reduce their wage bill and have been given a deadline of today (Tuesday) before their contracts get terminated.

Genge has been pretty outspoken about how loyalty in sport is BS and you have to do what's best for you and your family - wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

The only issue, as an England fan, is that there's not gonna be any English sides with the cap space to take them on, so it'd be France or Japan. Losing Ford, Genge, Tuilagi (having already lost Kruis) all in one season would be rough to say the least.

Genge has been pretty outspoken about how loyalty in sport is BS and you have to do what's best for you and your family - wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

The only issue, as an England fan, is that there's not gonna be any English sides with the cap space to take them on, so it'd be France or Japan. Losing Ford, Genge, Tuilagi (having already lost Kruis) all in one season would be rough to say the least.
The word with genge is Bristol obvs, but dunno how they can fit him in.

Surely it qualifies as special circumstances if they go abroad?

Surely it qualifies as special circumstances if they go abroad?
I don't think so (/hope not). They're choosing to do it, ultimately - they've still got contracts on the table at Tigers, they just don't agree with the terms.

I think everyone has come to terms with Kruis not being available. Ford going isn't, imo, a big loss. It puts Farrell at 10 and will mean a genuine 12 will have to play. Tuilagi and Genge would be a big loss if they went abroad, I'm not sure who would fill their boots. The issue for fans is that it's all closed doors when it comes to wages whereas football is all in the open.

I think everyone has come to terms with Kruis not being available. Ford going isn't, imo, a big loss. It puts Farrell at 10 and will mean a genuine 12 will have to play. Tuilagi and Genge would be a big loss if they went abroad, I'm not sure who would fill their boots. The issue for fans is that it's all closed doors when it comes to wages whereas football is all in the open.

Racing would take Manu I'm sure... Can't see genge going abroad tho, super rugby?

Even just for season? Not saying it'll happen, just may be interesting post-marchant as well. Would defo suit genge!

Had forgotten about Marchant. I do hope they stay in the Prem but as has been said, who has the wage capacity and is an attractive enough proposition for them?

Interestingly i think teams could probably squeeze them in even with reduced budget, however not knowing when they are going to be up and running with full financial income from match days and sponsors etc, i imagine teams will sit off. The only way around it i could theoretically see is the three of them going to separate clubs or the RFU intervening and making a deal. Each of them go to a french club or rich champ club like Sarries/Ealing?.

No idea if this could work or how but if i took Wasps as an example, even though theoretically we have the space under the cap, i think we would look to progress the young guys in our academy as a cheaper, financially stable option. I mean... we were cutting it fine as it was before COVID-19 :rolleyes:

Would have thought even with a pay cut, being an England international on top of and the financial rewards for making internarional matchday squads would still make staying in England the financially sensible move. I know the international season is murky for now though.

It would, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least one of them go abroad. Genge and Ford (to some degree - I hate the way we play when Farrell is at 10) are replaceable. Tuilagi is probably less so, but I'd argue that we have a few other 13s who can come in and do a good job - Slade and Marchant for example - which might be a good thing as I can't see Tuilagi's body making it to 2023.

Are the paycuts a result of the cap or Covid?
Bit of both - clubs asked players to take a 25% paycut for the remainder of this season due to the Rona, and then when it was announced that the salary cap will be reduced then (most? all?) clubs asked their players to have reduced wages for the remainders of their contracts.

I think part of it is the clubs trying to balance wages vs takings. Rugby wages have been inflating far more than the sport can sustain, due to sugar daddies and Top 14 sides - this is a good opportunity for the owners to, collectively, redress that. Hence Bristol, with the richest sugar daddy, being the only club opposed to the reduced cap.

Would have thought even with a pay cut, being an England international on top of and the financial rewards for making internarional matchday squads would still make staying in England the financially sensible move. I know the international season is murky for now though.
Aye, regular England games is a comfortable income on it's won - they must be getting offers from elsewhere.
I'm guessing Racing offered Manu a fair chunk more than Leicester did, when he renewed, but he stayed because he's settled there etc. etc.
Take another 25% off that Leicester contract and suddenly moving his family to Paris for a year or two seems a much more viable option.

True about Ford, you get a 10/10 Or 3/10 performance, while Farrell gives a 8/10 every time. With a potential backline, Farrell would be able to pick the right pass. Manu might be a loss, depending on fitness and definitely Genge. The RFU should be signing him up and then lease him to Sarries for the year.

I really don't agree. Farrell has had plenty of bad games but as he is a 'test match animal' and the mythical 'Iceman', it rarely gets mentioned.

Personally I think he is massively overrated while Ford is underrated.

Without doubt, Farrell is very good at executing a Saracens style gameplan but when it comes to being creative or playing off the cuff, he brings very little IMO. If the 'right pass' is a 2m pass on to the 12 then great, if it's not, he'll probably give it anyway ...

Latest posts